Abel - Tibor - Hatch

ja501

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a multi purpose 8wt reel for both freshwater and saltwater. Freshwater will be throwing streamers for trout and top water for bass. Saltwater will be Redfish, Bonefish etc. The reel will be going on an H2 8wt. I'm very familiar with a Abel but in all my searches Tibor and Hatch come up as well. Any help is appreciated.

gencon

Reaction score
All I can say is I like my Tibor's. I have 3 of them.

GenCon

plecain

Reaction score
Just to add one more reel to the mix - I've been using a Galvan Torque-8 on an 8wt TFO BVK.

The drag is plenty strong and very progressive on the knob.

One thing I like is that you don't need to do much after saltwater fishing - rinse in fresh water, let air-dry.

ja501

Reaction score
Just to add one more reel to the mix - I've been using a Galvan Torque-8 on an 8wt TFO BVK.

The drag is plenty strong and very progressive on the knob.

One thing I like is that you don't need to do much after saltwater fishing - rinse in fresh water, let air-dry.
I'll take a look at them. I know they are high quality.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Check out the Omega from Allen Fly Fishing. I use the size III on a 8wt Vapen and Sage VXP.

timd

Reaction score
The Galvan Torques are great reels with a very smooth drag. I own Abels and a Hatch and prefer the Torques drag. Check out the Yelloestone Anglers 8 weight reel review from a few years back.

slips74

Reaction score
Don't think you'd go wrong with any reels mentioned here. Your original title on this post got 3 of the top 4 Reel makers in my opinion. Add Nautilus and your in good company.

miamimikepa

Reaction score
Thanks for or all the input, I decided on the Galvan Torque 8. I can't wait to see it in action.
Just curious what made you make the selection you did? Of the 6 reels mentioned in this thread that would have been the last one I would have chose. Just love to hear what drives people to make the decisions they do. What was it about that reel that sold you? I'm sure any of the 6 would have been a good fit!

gencon

Reaction score
I like the looks of the Tibor Everglades. It looks like cons with Abel Tibor has addressed. Like the drag knob staying on the spool when loosened. Would you recommend the Signature or Everglades?
Can't speak of the signature. I have an Everglades I use on a 9wt T&T for Keys bonefish. I have 2 - riptides I use for Tarpon with 11 WT. Love them all. I do not see weight as an issue for salt water fishing.

GenCon

ja501

Reaction score
Just curious what made you make the selection you did? Of the 6 reels mentioned in this thread that would have been the last one I would have chose. Just love to hear what drives people to make the decisions they do. What was it about that reel that sold you? I'm sure any of the 6 would have been a good fit!
It came down to balance on my H2. Any of the reels would have worked but I kept coming across weight of the Hatch, Tibor and Abel. Fishing an 8wt all day with an unbalanced rig can really wear on you. Also being able to talk to a member of the Galvan family when you have a question is another factor. What makes you put Galvan so far back?