The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 08:37 PM

jaysun23 is on a distinguished road
Default Old reel question

Hi all,

I've recently acquired a fly rod and reel from my grandfather and I've not been able to find any information on the reel. From what I understand, the rod was custom made by a friend of his many many years ago so I know there won't be any info on that and there are no markings on the rod what so ever. The reel is a Sport King model 52 and it appears to be quite old, but in really good shape. I think the reel needs some oil, but I'm not sure what I should do to oil it (I'm afraid to take it apart since I know absolutely nothing about fly reels). There is a silver knob with numbers from 1-4 which I assume is the drag setting, and it is working somewhat well. The only other removable part is a silver nut that in the very center of the reel. Hope this makes sense, I'd appreciate any and all advice you can give.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old reel question

jaysun23,
Can you post some pics from different angles of the reel?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-20-2008, 11:56 PM

FlyChick is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...I can't really help you much, but my cousin wrote an article for me on my website about fly reels and the different drag systems...maybe give it a quick read and you might not be as afraid to take it apart if you are still curious.

Here's the link...hope it's OK to post...

How to Choose a Fly Fishing Reel | Angled Reviews
Old 03-21-2008, 07:55 AM

jackmcmanus21 is on a distinguished road

Post some pics if you could...I'd love to see it
Old 03-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

jaysun23,

Sport King was a brand sold by Wards. Some were made by Ocean City. I'm not familiar with the Model 52, but of the other models I've run across they all fall into the $20 to $30 range of value in excellent condition. Any other markings on the reel might help to give it a better ID. But realistically, It was your grandfathers reel so that makes it priceless.

As far as maintenance goes, wiping it down with a silicon cloth and removing any dirt and old oil and then lightly oiling the reel with a high quality oil like Penn's Reel Lube it all it should need. If the reel is very dirty soaking the parts in a mild solvent such as Murphy's Oil Soap and then brushing with a soft toothbrush should loosen any stubborn grime. I'd be cautious and dilute the Murphy's instead of using it straight, especially if there are any hard rubber or plastic parts on the reel.

If there are any screws you have to loosen to disassemble it make sure to use a good screwdriver that fits perfectly, like a gunsmith screw driver or a jewelers type. Don't force any frozen screws as this will bugger up the screw head and may even snap the screw. If the screw is frozen try a drop of Liquid Wrench and gently tapping on the screw driver.

If you can, post some pictures of the reel for no other reason than vintage tackle is pretty cool stuff.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:07 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Listen to the man...try PB Blaster sold at Walmart to loosen screws that LW won't bunch.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 03-21-2008, 02:28 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

I've seen PB Blaster in the store ( maybe Lowes or Home Depot). Does it really work that good? Anything corrosive in it? Between tackle, boats and everything else with screws it seems like there's always a wrestle with a frozen screw someplace or other. Be nice to come upon a better cure.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:43 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

The best stuff for loosening rusted parts was & still is " Marvel Mystery Oil"