The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 11:43 AM

yikes is a glorious beacon of lightyikes is a glorious beacon of lightyikes is a glorious beacon of lightyikes is a glorious beacon of lightyikes is a glorious beacon of lightyikes is a glorious beacon of light
Default Small plunge pool hydraulics

I was fishing a very small plunge pool yesterday, probably less than 4’x4’, when I found this guy – about 12” long.

Click the image to open in full size.

After I released him, I shot this video of his underwater lair. What surprises me is that he’s holding by facing downstream.
https://youtu.be/m0MSgEUJoWk

The water on the surface is push hard away from the plunge, but just 12" below, it's the exact opposite. This is a steep gradient mountain stream, immediately dropping again right behind the camera, so I did not expect the water to swirl so strongly backwards.

I was using a hopper/dropper, so the surface flow on the hopper was dragging the Copper John downstream, even though the underwater hydraulics would've pushed a nymph back "upstream" towards towards the plunge (and the fish). I have no idea how he caught my CJ.

Last edited by yikes; 04-21-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:22 PM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Small lunge pool hydraulics

That's good fishing (always asking more questions). Thanks for sharing. How did you detect the take?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice work on the plunge pool video, that was interesting to see that trout facing downstream!
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:08 PM

yikes is a glorious beacon of lightyikes is a glorious beacon of lightyikes is a glorious beacon of lightyikes is a glorious beacon of lightyikes is a glorious beacon of lightyikes is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill1948 View Post
That's good fishing (always asking more questions). Thanks for sharing. How did you detect the take?
I usually get strong strikes in small turbulent plunge pools close to the waterfall (unless I've missed a bunch of strikes and didn't know it!)
Perhaps the fish just don't have much time to decide to strike, unlike in slow, clear water where they will carefully examine the fly.

I often will cast into the waterfall to let it drag the dropper down deep into the pool. Sometimes I will get caught on underwater structure such as a branch, and then the branch shakes in the water flow very similar to a live fish trying to shake off the fly. Lots of false alarms!
Our local water levels are so low recently that I can take the chance to fish into structure. If I get stuck, I usually just reach into the pool and retrieve the fly.
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by yikes; 04-21-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:18 PM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

Cool video. Clearly shows that things underneath the surface aren't always the same as the surface current. That's one of the things that makes subsurface nymph fishing challenging. It's a three dimensional game compared the two dimensional dry fly fishing.
Hardyreels and biggie_robs like this.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:18 PM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response. Your experiences are very much like mine. I've had the opportunity to watch several "hits" on a lure without being able to detect a take, so I know I miss a lot of opportunities.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

May I suggest everyone apply some reputation points to 'yikes' name for giving us a look at what lies beneath. I did

Very good of you to do that,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-19-2015, 05:27 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

That is a really cool video; I've watched it ten times now.

I've dipped my fly in hundreds of plunge pools like that one and never thought that's how the hydraulics worked, or that's where the fish would set up. Now I'm cranking the gears in my head trying to figure out how this information can help me hook up next time I walk up on one of those pools. Thanks.

Peace.
Hardyreels likes this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-19-2015, 07:13 PM

GrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to allGrtLksMarlin is a name known to all

Great contribution to the knowledge base!

B.E.F.
Hardyreels likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:46 AM

mikey_boots is on a distinguished road

Great video. Lot of info gained from it. Thanks for sharing.
Hardyreels likes this.