The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By itchmesir
  • 1 Post By ryork

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 10:38 PM

ryork is on a distinguished road
Default Horrocks Ibbotson Commodore Fly Pole safe to use or wall hanger

Acquired my father's Commodore fly pole, looks to have been made in the 40's based on the labeling. Looks to be in very good shape, and lightly used. Should it be, could it be used with out fear of damaging it? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:58 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horrocks Ibbotson Commodore Fly Pole safe to use or wall hanger

You should take it out for a spin ! If it's in good shape, you'll be fine

Probably the only thing that you have to worry about is any delamination of the strips or other obvious cracks.
Plus, If there's any missing varnish, be very careful not to put the rod away wet as the bamboo can rot.

Other than that.... go for it.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
You should take it out for a spin ! If it's in good shape, you'll be fine

Probably the only thing that you have to worry about is any delamination of the strips or other obvious cracks.
Plus, If there's any missing varnish, be very careful not to put the rod away wet as the bamboo can rot.

Other than that.... go for it.
Thanks, I thought so but having grown up on fiberglass and now carbon rods had to ask to be sure.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:29 AM

wolfglen has a spectacular aura aboutwolfglen has a spectacular aura about

It's your choice, to fish with it and see how it felt to your father or put it away so you can enjoy it's hidden memories.

Would you rather fish with it or have it undamaged to enjoy and pass along?
Personally, I'd frame it with some of the flies with which he fished along with a photo or two of him, preferably fishing and buy one like it on E Bay with which to fish.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:40 AM

itchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant future

Personally I'd fish it. I understand there's memories. But it's a blue collar rod... There's very few rods out there that should just be left to stare at and enjoy. I couldn't think of one H-I rod that fits that category. The other 99.8% of them are best used for their intended purpose. Go fish it, live vicariously through your father's rod. Then hang it up at the end of the day to enjoy as a wall piece. It don't need to be no daily driver but it won't hurt to fish it now and again. Just remember if you hang it on the wall you could put a set in the rod. Best to leave bamboo in its rod sock hanging upright, out of the tube.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:19 AM

Thanks guys, I think I'll fish it. My main concern was breaking it. He bought it out in Montana while stationed at the SAC base at Great Falls a few years before I was born. He always spoke of how much fun he had in the streams out there on his days off. It's kind like his Grouse and pheasant gun it was meant to be used.........and I use that every year on my annual trek to SD.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:49 AM

itchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant future

Don't do anything stupid like trying to yank a fly out of a tree and you should be good. I'd make sure your ferrules have a nice pop to them and that they aren't loose which could lead to damaging your rod. Bamboo is strong. There's a reason there's no shortage of pre-war bamboo rods still out there. Made to last and you can fix them unlike a broken graphite or fiberglass rod.