The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 13 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By fyshstykr
  • 1 Post By exstoker
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By busbus
  • 2 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 04:54 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default First trip out this year

This past weekend I was determined to get some much needed and very deserved time on the water. I haven't been out since last fall between traveling for work and all that this sort of thing entails. I bought a pre loved rod from a forum member and wanted to put it through it's paces before going on my annual fishing trip in a few weeks.

I woke up a bit later than I had hoped, but still plenty early enough to make the hour long drive and get into a spot before the masses came out. 3 cars in the lot when I arrived, no problem. I got geared up and began the hike down the trail. Saw the two anglers in spots where I will fish who I presume beat me to the lot, which likely meant that my spot was open. Unless somebody had come up the trail from below. Had they done that, I'd have gladly walked past them, that's a good hike. So my spot was open, great!

Click the image to open in full size.

I started out fishing really close to the bank, there's a nice little seam that runs there, and have found trout holding there often. Before too long, it was that familiar tug I hadn't felt in quite some time. Caught plenty of fish, none were incredibly remarkable though. The hot fly was a #18 Copper John. Many fish chose this over the different caddis larva or pupa patterns I was using as a point fly.

I needed a change so I decided to try a Grey Ghost. I'd tied a few of them over the winter and figured, why not. This classic fly was a perfect match to fish with a classic reel.

I took a few steps upstream and positioned myself so I could swing down into the seam that rides along this rock. There are always fish holding there too.

Had a few fish going at my fly, but they were swatting at it. Finally, I had a player. It hit the fly, and I heard the Princess start to make that wonderful sound and then felt the tension disappear. I must have had a nick in my tippet, when I reeled in I noticed it had snapped between the last knot and the knot tied onto the fly. Oh well.

The grannoms had been in full swing last week, and there were still some signs of them. I'd seen caddis fluttering around. Great, some dry fly action! Wrong. My fly box was back in the vehicle. I would have walked back, but if I had done so, my spot would be gone and there would be no chance of getting back in there unless I wanted to fish over somebody's shoulder. I had seen a steady stream of traffic. Oh well. I just sat on the bank and sipped some coffee for a while watching mother nature and listening to the birds, the stream and feeding fish. Interestingly enough, there were only 2 or 3 fish feeding on the caddis that were coming off in mini blizzard like waves. Click the Photobucket Video to watch.

It was a glorious day and I'm glad I was able to get out.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip out this year

Jason: Looks like you had a great day on the water despite the missing dry fly box, thanks for sharing!
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The pictures are great Jason! I feel for you losing that Ghost and offer this from a guy who hates when that happens. Always go with at least 8 or 10 pound level leader. That is even more important when they fly is one so perfectly made. I used to use tapers but with streamers it really doesn't matter.

Beautiful shots of everything,

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Nice read.

You know the big one is at the top of that shadow along the rock, right?
jaybo41 likes this.

"I've never missed a Steelhead by waiting too long. It's true, but I've missed plenty trying to set the hook too quickly." Dec Hogan 'A Passion For Steelhead'

Old 05-08-2015, 07:09 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments guys, thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts. I just love that spot on the stream, I always hope that I can start there because I know that stretch of water well. There are a lot of seams under the water as you move out towards that rock. Lots of rounded boulders and rocks line the bottom of the stream and deep pockets too. There are also a good number of spots that you can get hung up on too.

Ard, I was using 4x and that was likely my mistake. I generally use a tied/tapered leader of some sort and just rebuild the tippet as I need to. I will have to be more mindful of the level line of tippet if I am sticking with streamers. I do that with my switch rods and know it works well. I guess I was thinking that it'd be easier to switch to nymphs or dries if only I had remembered them.:roll eyes: At least the Ghost had a good swim and I'm gaining some confidence in using them. This was the first one I had ever fished. I did maybe 8 or 12 of them in some different sizes. I'd never tied them until this past winter. I believe that one was a #6.

John, every time I get to that spot I'm drawn to that rock and have to remind myself to start from the bank and work my way out. I picked up a good number of fish just to the inside of that shadow nearest the bottom in that last picture. That was obviously taken from the bank. If you go right for the rock, you're likely to miss a good number of fish. You're right on though, when there's a big fish there, he's laying right in that dark water beside that rock. Unfortunately for me, not my day to see him.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:14 PM

exstoker is on a distinguished road

A lovely looking spot to spend time fooling fish.Do you have bears there or are they further north?
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the comments. We have a good black bear population, though I haven't seen them in this particular area of the state. For that matter, I have fortunately never run across one while fishing. They are mostly in more rural areas and this one is, while fairly rural is a little slice of heaven between some smallish towns.
exstoker likes this.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:43 PM

busbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud ofbusbus has much to be proud of

Sounded like a great dat, Jason. I know how you feel concerning work, though. I have had my nose to the grindstone for what seems forever. I need some time on a stream myself.

There won't be time nor money this year for a real vacation with the family but that means I will have days that I can go somewhere and have a day like you did.

ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:04 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Great report Jason and that is some pretty country, looks like my kind of place. Glad to see you got out, that was quite a sabbatical you took. The first tug must have felt like a million bucks. I learned the hard way on a lake run brown last year estimated at 26+ on 2X tippet. The Kokanee that busted me made sense he was at a dead run but the brown was my fault. But half the joy is the occasional disappointment and education or subtle reminders

By the way excellent pics, the clarity is awesome.

Oh and you and those dang Princess Reels , and well all your other reels always have me perusing an adult website (eBay).

I am looking at signing up a new alliance partner at work and they have a corporate office in Philly. If I get to come that way I will give you a shout. Would love to go have lunch or even sneak up and see that spot and give the poor fish a scare.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 05-08-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Sounded like a great dat, Jason. I know how you feel concerning work, though. I have had my nose to the grindstone for what seems forever. I need some time on a stream myself.

There won't be time nor money this year for a real vacation with the family but that means I will have days that I can go somewhere and have a day like you did.

ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Hey Ray! It's been a while, from the sounds of things we are in similar situations work wise. Time on the water is a must for me and fortunately I'll be off for 8 days of fishing and a few days on either side for travel. That's coming at the end of the month and I cannot wait. Those says where you get to take time off, get out on the water and go home to sleep in your own bed are sometimes better than a vacation because you can do it again the next day, if the hall pass hasn't expired and they don't take much of a commitment. Any time on the water is time well spent in my book. Much better than sitting behind the desk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Great report Jason and that is some pretty country, looks like my kind of place. Glad to see you got out, that was quite a sabbatical you took. The first tug must have felt like a million bucks. I learned the hard way on a lake run brown last year estimated at 26+ on 2X tippet. The Kokanee that busted me made sense he was at a dead run but the brown was my fault. But half the joy is the occasional disappointment and education or subtle reminders

By the way excellent pics, the clarity is awesome.

Oh and you and those dang Princess Reels , and well all your other reels always have me perusing an adult website (eBay).

I am looking at signing up a new alliance partner at work and they have a corporate office in Philly. If I get to come that way I will give you a shout. Would love to go have lunch or even sneak up and see that spot and give the poor fish a scare.
Brian, it was too long a sabbatical, that's for sure. Things seem to get more and more hectic at work. One of my colleagues is leaving and picking up a new position in the company, so now I get her responsibilities on my plate. By the time the weekend gets here, I am more often than not wiped out.

The pictures and the video came from my iPhone of all things. For some reason, Photobucket won't display the video when you post the link, but if you click on the white "Photobucket (videos)" you can see and hear why it was pretty cool to sit there and take it all in.

I'm in Pittsburgh, not in Philly, or I'd gladly get you out to that spot. That's on the other side of the state. I can probably find a deal or two for you if you're so inclined:
comeonavs and busbus like this.