The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 08:14 PM

yikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to behold
Default Pics of flies by hairwing530 in action

Hey, there's a lot of posts lately for how much people appreciate the quality of flies tied by Jerry aka hairwing530, and for the support of his work. Why not post some pics of fish you have caught using his flies?

Here's one from a few days ago on the Kings River in Sequioa National Monument - - some kind of rust-colored stonefly nymph imitator from his "Miracle 100" that looked super-buggy. I hung it about 14" below my favorite foam hopper indicator and caught this wild rainbow:

Click the image to open in full size.
(Sadly, I lost it on a branch underwater not too long afterward.)

I can't speak for Jerry, but if I were him I think it would be fun to see all the places where my handiwork ended up.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:25 PM

hairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Pics of flies by hairwing530 in action

yikes,

I'm a sucker for seeing any sort of fly-fishing, especially when one of my ties is involved. So, I'm all in for seeing some photos with my flies at work...

Besides, it's almost like "vicarious fly fishing," in that I'm right there with you when the line tightens, and a good fish puts a bend in the rod.

Thanks for the great suggestion. Nice fish, by the way...

Here's to a creel filled with more memories just like this one, yikes...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 06-16-2015, 11:46 PM

yikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to behold

I caught this one on the Hat Creek (Northern California) in the waning sunlight last Saturday.

There was a Hex hatch, and this fly did the trick when no one else nearby caught anything.

Last edited by yikes; 06-17-2015 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Creek, not river
Old 06-17-2015, 05:29 AM

hairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant futurehairwing530 has a brilliant future

yikes,

Nicely done on both the fish and the scenic shots. Hat Creek has gone onto my "bucket list" for waters to fish sometime down the road...

And, best of all, you "wrangled" that fish at one of my favorite times of the day to wet a line-- the twilight hours. Well done, my friend... well done...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Last edited by hairwing530; 06-17-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:19 AM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

It's called "Hat Creek" great pics and flies!!!
Old 06-17-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingduck View Post
It's called "Hat Creek" great pics and flies!!!
OK, I fixed it. It's hard for this So Cal guy to call it a "creek" when it has so much more water than our LA area "rivers"!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:08 AM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

Hat Creek isn't so wide in the upper part but the fly only water has a hydroelectric powerhouse that brings in a lot of water making it more of a river then creek.
mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:39 AM

smilingduck,

I've amended my "bucket list" as well, so as to reflect "The Hat's" creek moniker. When a Michigan boy is shown water like that, he naturally tends to assume that it's one beauty of a river. Instead, I now know that it's one beautiful stretch of trout water known as "Hat Creek."

Thanks for the correction...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mcnerney and GrtLksMarlin like this.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:11 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Jerry's Flies In Action!

Old 06-17-2015, 01:37 PM

spm is just really nicespm is just really nicespm is just really nicespm is just really nicespm is just really nice

Great idea for a thread, yikes. Let's see how long we can keep it going.

steve