The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 09:55 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: I don't "get" reels-to be perfectly honest

Sorry! I was reffering to my Dads gear when I was little. Guess old techniques don't disappear with technological advancement. If it ain't broke why fix it!!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Joni, How is that Vosseler??? I'm searching for a reel with few moving
parts, but nice machining. Does the spool want to over-run when stripping
out line?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:52 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
On some reels without exposed rims, like a Pflueger Medalist, some fishermen would cut a triangle out of the back of the reel so they could use their thumb against the spool as a drag.
Joe D
I've seen that in pictures of medalists used in saltwater that had a flap of leather screwed or rivited to the frame to rub against the spool through the little triangle---Probably after seeing smoke come off your thumb trying to slow a big bone or sail

If you looked up the word overspin you would find a picture of a Medalisit in the the dictionary but you could leave your flyrod and Phlueger Medalist on the dash of your truck all summer and after it cooled to the touch it was as good as new
Old 03-26-2008, 06:31 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Ouch!! I'll go with the leather!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
Joe D
I've seen that in pictures of medalists used in saltwater that had a flap of leather screwed or rivited to the frame to rub against the spool through the little triangle---Probably after seeing smoke come off your thumb trying to slow a big bone or sail

If you looked up the word overspin you would find a picture of a Medalisit in the the dictionary but you could leave your flyrod and Phlueger Medalist on the dash of your truck all summer and after it cooled to the touch it was as good as new
...and the kids today talk about x-treme fly fishing
Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hey Joni, How is that Vosseler??? I'm searching for a reel with few moving
parts, but nice machining. Does the spool want to over-run when stripping
out line?

ABSOLUTELY! at first. It has three little plugs. One in the reel and two in the reel case. Simply pull the spool off, one little screw right in the middle, remove cover and insert the two spares. FANTASTIC!

Click the image to open in full size.