The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2015, 07:03 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of
Default An important message from nobody special.

For at least the third time in very recent memory a seemingly innocent subject thread I was participating in was closed because it strayed into a controversial area and unnecessarily escalated. Many other threads turn nasty and thankfully go away on their own before a mod intervenes. My impression of the rules here are fairly straight forward. It's a forum for fly fishing and conservation discussion, and be respectful of others. It is very obvious to anyone paying attention that our Mods try to let this place self correct. That responsibility falls on us as forum members and lately I think we could do better.

This isn't the Mister Rogers show and I don't want it to be. It's inevitable that in the course of discussion we will say things that others strongly disagree with. I am passionate and have done it on numerous occasions myself. It's OK to make your case, but be the better man/woman and just let it go when it starts to get stupid. To my knowledge there is no prize for winning an argument on the internet. If you find yourself in a 3+ post back and forth argument you are probably outside the spirit of our forum rules. If the comment or view you about to share is common on a radio political talk show, statistically it won't likely play well here with about half the members. There are many other places you can go if you can't control your need to share your views on controversial subjects. Go there to vent before you get yourself banned.

I don't think anyone expects us to be perfect. Just have the good sense to stop it when you are possibly making a thread less pleasant for others. I am in charge of nothing here. Just hoping this might help get us back to where we were 6 months ago.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An important message from nobody special.

Dewayne: Thank you, that was very well said!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:29 PM

spm has a spectacular aura aboutspm has a spectacular aura about

Don't know which thread you are referring to, but, well said regardless.

steve
Old 05-19-2015, 07:54 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I can't think of a time where I've said a 'harsh word' about a thread. Agree to disagree but then time to keep your fingers off the key board. Nothing to gain, something to loose?

Well I have hit the little red triangle in the upper right corner a few times.

fae
Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

We should have a dislike button as well.
Might be a step in between a brawl and locked out...
I've ranted a couple times...
But I was wondering about the transition from PFDs to DUIs.......
Lets try and stay on task and relevant to....FISHING..It's what I'm here for.
And i a Trouter....you are special....
Old 05-19-2015, 08:34 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post
Don't know which thread you are referring to, but, well said regardless.

steve
It is more of a trend lately. I could cite a number of threads but I am not going to. I have been participating on internet forums for 20 years and ones like this are very rare. The forum is huge and it is hard for the mods, and I'll fight some to keep it the way it was. I am fairly new to the sport and the help I have received here via PM, email, CELL and actually teaching me on the water has great value to me. I hold many forum members here in high regard and have made lifelong friends that treat me like family.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
We should have a dislike button as well.
Might be a step in between a brawl and locked out...
I've ranted a couple times...
But I was wondering about the transition from PFDs to DUIs.......
Lets try and stay on task and relevant to....FISHING..It's what I'm here for.
And i a Trouter....you are special....
Perfect example. Called me out for failing to have PFDs on board but in a considerate manner. Unconditional public surrender on my part was not required or expected from you.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dewayne: You are a class act and I'm so happy to have you participating on this forum! I hope we get the chance to fish together some day.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:39 PM

scotty macfly is a jewel in the roughscotty macfly is a jewel in the roughscotty macfly is a jewel in the rough

If I may say something please. Probably the biggest reason I joined this forum was because of the way everyone got along. Yeah there is a little rib poking that happens, but it is done with great taste and respect for one another which can make it fun knowing that nothing is taken seriously. Though there are times things can go wrong, and they never were meant to.
I like this forum because it is wholesome. No, it's not Mr. Rogers, but it is certainly family friendly. BTW, I liked Mr. Rogers.

There is a fishing forum in my state that I belonged to for a very short time. One week to be honest. There are members there who are nothing but disrespectful cyber bullies. I don't care who you are, but when a new member from Tennessee intro's himself, you don't welcome him by quoting lines from the movie Deliverance. I felt so bad for that young man I pm'd him and apologized for the way he was treated by that certain member. After that I left that forum and never returned. What makes it worse is that one member has followers, and they follow suit. It seemed these guys ran the forum, and if you weren't like them, they cut you down.

This forum is a place where I feel I can ask a question that you all may have heard and answered a million times, but you have no problem still answering me like it was the first time it was ever asked. I have made myself seem stupid with some questions, but none of you have treated me that way. Thank you.

ia trouter is right. Controversial subjects can get taken to a certain area where they don't need to be, and heated discussions can become infernos. Let's not go there.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:35 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I was taught the only stupid question is the unasked one....
Can't learn otherwise.
I've been at this a long time at a fairly high level...it's how I make my living...
But I listen when folks ask a question, because there are still things to learn....from some reply's...
At least the one's that stay on the subject.....

Jim
Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 PM

unknownflyman will become famous soon enoughunknownflyman will become famous soon enough

Your always welcome on my home turf Dewayne. Say the word lets go fish.