The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2015, 03:30 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Fishing doubles help...

O.k. fellas did some Czech Nymphing with my Keiryu rods today and it was awesome. The not so awesome part was I lost several flies when fish would hit the top fly on a double and break the tippet. Tips on what knots to use. I was using improved clinch on 7x tippet. Landed plenty of fish in the rain so it was a good day none the less.

More details:

"Thanks I'm fishing mostly small driftless creeks 5-30' across so most of my fly choices are going to fall in the 14 few to mostly 16-18-20 size mostly focusing on Micro Nymphs. I can always step up a bit but with the rods I'm playing with right now I'm about at the rods limitations."

"Also as I noted these rods that I'm currently playing with a designed for light lines so anything above 6x is out of the question. Not saying I can't use it but the rods are designed for 6x max line. These aren't your typically nymphing rods but are Japanese Keiryu rods. Fixed line similar to Tenkara rods but different at the same time."

Last edited by craigthor; 05-26-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:48 PM

stenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant futurestenacron has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fishing doubles help...

I use a simple clinch knot (un-improved) and 7X seems pretty dainty.

Most of my 2-fly nymphing in large rivers is 4X to the 1st fly, and 5X to the point fly... but I'm sure you could go a bit heavier for Czech style nymphs.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-26-2015, 06:48 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks I'm fishing mostly small driftless creeks so most of my fly choices are going to fall in the 14 few to mostly 16-18-20 size. I can always step up a bit but with the rods I'm playing with right now I'm about at the rods limitations.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 PM

itchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant future

Even in the driftless is rare to need 7x... I've got it but it's not getting much use. 4x and 5x is what I stick with... Or 2 & 4lb fishing line... 5&6x when it's low and clear... I also use the cinch knot. It just plain works.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:13 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this would work for you, but if you used a tippet ring and tied the top fly off of a short dropper and the point fly with a longer dropper, you would only lose the top fly.

The section of leader from rod to tippet ring would be of higher test than the tippet from the ring to the two flies. So the tippet ring woudl not break off. Since the two flies are not tied to each other, a break off of one of them would not result in a loss of the other.

Click the image to open in full size.
fredaevans, cpiercem, wjl and 1 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-26-2015, 07:14 PM

nevadanstig has a spectacular aura aboutnevadanstig has a spectacular aura about

If the tippet is breaking and not the knot, then it really doesn't matter what knot you use
Step up the size of the tippet. 4 or 5X is fine with a size 20 nymph, I use that combo on a regular basis and the fish here don't seem to mind.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:16 PM

Silver - I have some on order. Also played with using a double davy here in the house and that made a huge difference once I got home and played with some knots.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:16 PM

wjl will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Fishing doubles help...

Here is some info.
Nymphing Tactics

Another vote fo nothing smaller than 4 to 5x in a driftless area maybe use fluorocarbon.
On the link the Czech set up I tie my two flies and weight at the end.
Good luck I can't imagine having nymphs floating slow where a fish could inspect and choose to eat or not.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:18 PM

Also as I noted these rods that I'm currently playing with a designed for light lines so anything above 6x is out of the question. Not saying I can't use it but the rods are designed for 6x max line. These aren't your typically nymphing rods but are Japanese Keiryu rods. Fixed line similar to Tenkara rods but different at the same time.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:20 PM

scotty macfly is a jewel in the roughscotty macfly is a jewel in the roughscotty macfly is a jewel in the rough

When tying a tippet to the leader, or adding tippet to more tippet, and the plan is to use a duo fly system, I tie a triple surgens knot.
When you tie this knot you will have a tag end sticking up and a tag end going down. Tie the fly to the tag going down. If you tie the fly to the tag going upward and hook a fish, you will lose the fish by the tippet breaking. When the fish pulls, the line hits the knot going against it. Kind of like going against the grain.
If you tie the fly on the bottom tag, well that's the tag from the end of your leader, and that is going with the grain sort of speak. Then you can tie a fly on the end of your leader.
I hope this helps.