The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2015, 04:36 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Season Opener Trips

It has been a wet cool May and the hatches have been relatively sparse for this time of year. Normally there is a good hatch of Hendricksons which are size 12/14 in our area. I've seen a few but the main hatch has been are smaller and sparser. The trout have been a lot more picky about the flies. Usually they are all over parachute Adams in a size 14 and I can fish that fly all day.

The first time I went out, I caught few on a parachute Adams. Then I decided to experiment and went through the same water again with a sparkle dun, and it seemed every fish rose for that fly. I would say that on the first run through I caught 10 fish but on the second try I caught another 30 before I quit.

This is how the water looked the first time I went out.

Click the image to open in full size.

You can see that there are multiple conflicting currents and getting a long drift is tough. This little entering rivulet held two of the larger fish. They were in very shallow water and I think these fish were in this locating because the other side of stream holds most of the fish. I spotted a rise and was able to hook two nice fish and a third smaller fish from this spot.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 05-26-2015, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Season Opener Trips

What a nice looking stretch of water you had there! My season is about to get going here as we pass mid week and I hope to remember a few pictures too. It sounds like a great day to me.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 PM

unknownflyman will become famous soon enoughunknownflyman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Season Opener Trips

Nice report as always and great brookies!