The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By plecain
  • 1 Post By wolfglen
  • 2 Post By paul54
  • 1 Post By plecain
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 03:48 AM

mjsurfing is on a distinguished road
Default Another Newbe Question - Why does my ferrel get stuck

Hi all sorry for the silly question.

But when I have been fly fishing on my last few trips it has been below 0 deg cel (here in high country Australia) I have returned to the car and my two piece sage rod has had the ferrel stuck solid. I have been able to release the two pieces but not till I have gotten home and been able to get a good grip on them.

Why does this happen. I have never had it happen with any of my spin gear?

Cheers.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:33 AM

plecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Another Newbe Question - Why does my ferrel get stuck

When it's cold, it's hard to get them apart sometimes. I pack a pair of rubber gardening gloves so that I can grip the rod better with cold hands.

Sage has this in its FAQ section:

It's easiest to use two people to pull the rod sections apart. Alternately, you can use rubber jar openers to get a better grip on the rod sections. Be careful that you get a good grip so you don't slip and damage the guides. Also, make sure you don't twist the rod sections, as this can damage the carbon in the ferrules.
GrtLksMarlin likes this.

--Paul
Old 06-07-2015, 06:46 AM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

It may be that you are pushing the ferrules together without twisting, just hard pressure.

Or you may have somehow gotten some "sticky" stuff on the male ferrule.

It could possibly be an improperly sanded male ferrule if this is not happening to other rods of the same manufacturer.

Try putting the rod behind your knees, gripping the rod on each side of the ferrule on the outside of your knees and gripping the rod with a slight twist as you spread your knees.

You might also try warming the female ferrule with your hand to warm/expand it a bit.
GrtLksMarlin likes this.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:51 AM

paul54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsurfing View Post

But when I have been fly fishing on my last few trips it has been below 0 deg cel (here in high country Australia) I have returned to the car and my two piece sage rod has had the ferrel stuck solid. I have been able to release the two pieces but not till I have gotten home and been able to get a good grip on them.

Cheers.
I wax the ferrules on my rods. This makes them come apart easier and less likely to damage the ferrules. Might be worth a try. My Orvis Clearwater II came with a small container of wax for that purpose. Hope this might help.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:57 AM

plecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul54 View Post
I wax the ferrules on my rods. This makes them come apart easier and less likely to damage the ferrules.
The ferrule wax may help to get the rod apart, but that's not its main purpose.

The wax allows you to push the ferrules together more tightly. This is from the Orvis description:

"Extend the life of your fly rods with Orvis Ferrule Wax.
Eliminates friction and wear when putting fly rods together and taking them apart. Lubricates the ferrule as it flexes during use and prevents undue wear and tear. Allows the ferrule to engage deeper and more firmly, eliminating loosening and potential damage. Lubricate the male end and insert with a 90 degree twist for best results."
GrtLksMarlin likes this.

--Paul
Old 06-07-2015, 10:41 AM

zug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to all

put the rod in the cold water for a minute or 2 it will come apart easier
The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
Old 06-07-2015, 11:09 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I learned this from one of the "old guys" when I was a little kid and used a fiberglass fly rod to fish salmon eggs, velveeta cheese and worms...

Izaac says how to break down a fly rod | Neophyte Fly Fishing Basics

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-07-2015, 01:28 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsurfing View Post

Cheers.
When you put the rod together, it was warmer. As you fished in the cold weather, the air that is trapped in the hollow rod section contract and a vacuum develops in then hollow rod sections. This seats the ferrule so you cannot pull it apart because you are pulling against a vacuum.

When you ice the ferrule, the two parts contract at different rates and the vacuum seal is broken.

Waxing a ferrule prevents two bad things that can happen to a fly rod.

The first is ferrule lock.

The second is a loose ferrule that can lead to rod breakage.

When the ferrule joint flexes, the female end tends to form an oval with the short axis of the oval in the direction of the flex and the long axis at 90 degrees to the flex. The male end has a circular plug in the end of the section. Therefore, the male end tends to stay more circular and is unable to match the oval pattern of the female side of the ferrule.

This causes separation of the long axis portion of female side (eg, it's diameter is now greater than the matching male). Simultaneously, the short axis of the female end now has a diameter that is less than the matching male and so the male section tends to get pushed out - like toothpaste from a tube. So you get a combination of separation of the joint at the long axis of the female and simultaneously the short axis pushes the male end out - ergo, you get a loose joint.

If you wax the joint, there is a layer of wax between the male and female ferrule sections. As the joint flexes, the wax as a semisolid gets squeezed from the short axis to fill in at the long axis - ergo, the wax serves as an internal modulator to keep the parts from separating.

The second cause is centrifugal force. As we cast we are moving the rod through an arc, and in effect, the casting motion is a throwing motion of the rod. This centrifugal force tend to pull the sections apart.

The third minor cause is line friction on the guides. As the line is shot through the guides, the friction on the guides actually is a slight pull on the distal rod sections away from the proximal rod sections.

See http://americanangler.com/technique/busted

"5. UNSEATED FERRULES
Another easily avoided rod breaker is an unseated ferrule, which is like a time bomb, says Johnson: 'It’s an almost surefire way to break a fly rod.” The ferrule sections loosen up during casting, and if a fisherman does not reseat those sections, they will eventually break,' warns Jim West. 'It happens all the time.'
If you are casting weighted flies, sinking lines, or a Spey rod, it’s imperative that you check your ferrules regularly. The constant stresses and twisting action of casting will inevitably loosen those fragile connections. Some anglers combat this with a thin coating of paraffin wax...."

Silly newbie question
robinfick likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy