The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 02:42 PM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly/Spinning Combined

I love flyfishing but I was raised on openfaced spinning, where I fish you see both types of fishing, sometimes the bigger trout are out of reach with flyrods so I was thinking of getting a 9 or 10 ft spinning rod soft enough to cast a fly line. Can you see where i,m going. Put a fly reel in your pocket or a small spinning reel, better than carrying both don,t you think. Just something that came into my mind. Anybody ever try this. Thanks.
troutlove1971 likes this.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:10 PM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly/Spinning Combined

Yes, I have with a small spinning reel using either 4# or 6# test and small spinners or subsurface flies with shot. When I travel I still carry along that reel (yet not out to the river), yet past others using it who I am introducing to fly fishing and they need a break from fly fishing (needing at that point just to get a fish and have a good day), it never gets used.

For me much of the fun of fly fishing is overcoming those fly fishing limitations using fly gear.

B.E.F.
spm likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:22 PM

yikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant futureyikes has a brilliant future

There's a company that makes small combo units, Pen Rod Extreme

I recently saw a video of a local guy using it both as a fly and a spin rod. I'd link to it, except that he has a horrible catch-and-release technique (he's otherwise a great guy).
Old 06-07-2015, 05:45 PM

tcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant future

Yes I have done it. Using a uplocking reel seat on a fly rod and an ultralight open face reel with 4lb test line. I hold my ultralight open face spinning reel with the handle stem between my middle finger and my ring finger. No rear handle on the rod. However, you can get a rod or make a rod with a removable fighting butt if you want. I use a 7.5 4wt or and 8ft 5wt fly rod for this. Both work fine. I would rather compromise on the spinning rod action than on the fly rod action.

As a side note I have taken a 8' downrigger rod and used it with a fly reel as a small two handed switch rod. It works surprisingly well if you get the right line.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:06 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

My mentor, Harry Darbee (see the book: Catskill Flytyer) once told me: There is nothing basically new in fly tying, it's just being re discovered)

Take for instance epoxy flies: I resisted tying them at first because I just didn't think they were flies, Were they plugs or jigs or whatever? In the sixties I tied some flies with big lead split shot for heads and quit after get ting some really nasty bumps on the back of my head.

I only tied them after customers demanded that I do them and developed some new ways to make them more efficiently. I didn't invent them, but in his book, Lefty dubbed me "the genius of epoxy". But as I was saying about nothing really new, give the credit to Bill Blades for Epoxy flies before there was epoxy, he did that kind of stuff out of DuCo Cement. Now, there's patience.

Back to nothing new.
In the Sixties and even the fifties, I believe there was this craze about using plastic bubbles to cast flies on spinning tacklel. The problem was that the freakin' bubble scared the freakin' poop out of the fish.

In the seventies, we used short and I mean Very short shooting heads coupled with mono to get drag free drifts on rivers with more complicated surface flow patterns. Some of these were six to ten foot long heads made from secfions of old salt water lines to compensate for the short length with larger diameter.

Well, now to the spinning reels, yes you can do that but often fly line guides won't stand up to the smaller diameter lines and the fine grit in water can act like a saw and cut your snake guides.

Back then a lot of the guys used fly rod sized plugs, one inch long flat fish, spooks, etc. and caught fish at short distances.

Now this is the opposite, casting small flies long distances with a fly rod/spinning reel combination.

Many companies made combination fly rod/spinning rods where you could detach the handle and turn it around. Like many compromises they didn't do either very well. The same was true when they made combination fly/bait casting rods, they were terrible.

I have an old Edwards Quad which was evidentally built to be that way , fly / spin, 8'. I picked it up for 12 dollars at a yard sale.
'
spm likes this.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:25 PM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfglen View Post
Many companies made combination fly rod/spinning rods where you could detach the handle and turn it around. Like many compromises they didn't do either very well. The same was true when they made combination fly/bait casting rods, they were terrible.'
I once had a hammer that if you unscrewed the head, it became a screwdriver. It was neither a good hammer nor a good screwdriver. I think the same applies here.

steve
wjl, ejsell, ia_trouter and 1 others like this.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:26 PM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road

I would not use a mono line with a fly rod for the reason mentioned above. Thats why I want the spinning rod with it,s ceramic guide,s. Anyway where I live back in 1960 a woman caught a 27lb 10oz sea run brown on a fly useing a spinning reel on a fly rod. It was a North American record in 1960.

Lenght 39 1/2" Girth of 24" As Mick Dundee would say. NOW THATS A TROUT.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:58 PM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

If it is going to be done, use a spinning rod dedicated to the "fly & bubble" method...and no, the bubble does not scare the fish...

Click the image to open in full size.

Spin Fishing Using The Fly And Bubble Method - Fishing My Way

I taught all of my kids how to effectively use this method before advancing them to fly rods and reels. I wanted them to completely understand the effectiveness of a fly, fished properly. I have used this technique in streams, rivers and lakes...

Click the image to open in full size.

...it works just fine and will catch a lot more Trout, under certain conditions, than a fly rod...that Trout my son is holding is a triploid, they do not reproduce...

PT/TB
okbow68 and Vulpes like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 06-07-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:44 PM

tcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant future

I am curious if anyone has found any scientific tests that show mono wears guides faster than pvc fly line under the same conditions and how many hours of use is the difference between the two line types. Under the same conditions I can not understand where mono would pick up any more abrasive materials from the water than PVC coated fly line would.

Please note that many of us use mono running line on our spey rods and I have not heard of or seen any excessive wear. Also since the middle 1940's distance casters have used mono as a running line to increase casting distance due to lower friction from the mono line. Lower friction usually means less wear not more? The biggest issue I have seen with mono is the line memory factor not guide wear.

Last edited by tcorfey; 06-07-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:03 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
I am curious if anyone has found any scientific tests that show mono wears guides faster than pvc fly line under the same conditions and how many hours of use is the difference between the two line types.
There are a lot of spey rodders using mono running lines. I would think they would notice the wear problem if it's a huge issue.
jjc155 likes this.