The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Just got my first fly rod rig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I was just talking to a friend a few minutes ago about this. It is funny how many TEACHERS teach one way, but when you see them out fishing on their own you realize they do practice what they teach LOL
Frank you are right on that everyone develop their own style OFF of the basics.

Easiest way for me to remember is, THROW A BALL. Basically the same arm movement.
I gotta disagree with the "throw a ball" bit. To me it sounds like a recipe for male baseball fans to finish the cast with the path of the rod tip headed down to the water/ground, and produce a rod tip path that is far from straight.

I suggest a casting motion where the rod hand moves in a path that is paralell to the ground, and about the height of the armpit. Powerful muscles are used and it should be easier on the shoulder and the wrist.

Just wanted to throw my view out there. I'd bet that Joni has probably sucessfully taught more people to cast a fly rod than I have.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I still mess up at casting and I have been fishing all summer practicing.. no sweat and who cares if people laugh. just practice more and watch every video on youtube and ones that you can rent from your library and you will get it. one thing I learned early on is that you don't even have to cast hard to get it to go far. just that basic stop-stop motion, like the 10-2 they teach and out gos the line. do not break your wrist tho otherwise you will get a wide loop and no power. you want a tight loop instead. get that down then practice the others, I am on the roll cast now and working my way up.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:31 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I gotta disagree with the "throw a ball" bit. To me it sounds like a recipe for male baseball fans to finish the cast with the path of the rod tip headed down to the water/ground, and produce a rod tip path that is far from straight.

I suggest a casting motion where the rod hand moves in a path that is paralell to the ground, and about the height of the armpit. Powerful muscles are used and it should be easier on the shoulder and the wrist.

Just wanted to throw my view out there. I'd bet that Joni has probably sucessfully taught more people to cast a fly rod than I have.
I think Joni is talking about thowing like a girl . I've seen here post on
another forum that the arm should move as if the elbow were on a shelf
(or something to that effect).

Cam Sigler suggests imaginging yourself standing in a doorway, standing
sideways: move your casting arm as if you are trying to hammer a nail in
each side of the door jamb.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well, the hammering in a doorway idea doesn't seem ideal either. This would still produce a path of the rod hand that isn't paralell with the ground.

A path of the rod hand that is paralell with the ground seems to me to be the BIG first step to a rod tip path that is paralell with the ground.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:42 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you hammered a short, direct shot, it would make sense . Sigler
uses an illustration in his book to demonstrate a straight path hammer
movement. The doorway is used to show the need for a direct path to the nail.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:58 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

I've always heard it refered to as the picking up and putting down the wall phone....
Old 03-28-2008, 07:02 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

The visual I use with clients that have a lot of arch in their cast is to picture they just brushing the tip of the rod along a ceiling. Like there was a brush on the end and they are painting. Seems to always work.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post

Actually, the ball thing was "Eddie Robinson" Eddie Robinsons Fly Fishing

The theory about the ball, is to throw it to someone 15 to 20' in front, the arm travels very little (a small clock with 10 and 2). To throw it to someone 50' to 60' away, the clock becomes much bigger, more arm movement. He also said a Ping Pong Ball.
There is also the PAINTING under a shoulder high shelf.
Anyway, the idea is not to mimic a windshield wiper, but rather a straight line, and a hand position that prevents braking the wrist.
In baseball, I was taught to throw with point finger on top and to basically point where you wanted it to go, I feel the same is true in casting.
Which is not to say I don't hold my rod like I hold a key to start a car or unlock a door. Just a good learning aid to prevent wrist brake and windshield wiper casts.