is Simms insane?

btwom67

Reaction score
Over $1000 for a rain suit? I am so NOT worth it. Unless you are on the pro-staff or a guide getting a mega discount what sense does it make to spend that much money on rain gear? There is pleanty of breathable stuff available for less that a quarter of the price. I like that Simms makes gear in the USA but every year it gets more and more and more and the incremental boost in performance if any is so tiny that...I'm just going to shake my head and head over to my local "discount store" Orvis.

trs

Reaction score
This fine item is obviously aimed at the "ELITE" fly fisherman. Hopefully, barring severe brain trauma I will never be able to join the august ranks of the "ELITE" and will have to make do with my 40 dollar frog togs, that were a somwhat extravagent replacement for my 3 dollar poncho.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Wait a minuet...aren't I an "elite" fisherman? Yet I have a Columbia rain shell from their Outlet store (and the zipper is kind of balky, bet the Simms one is smooth as butter).

ts47

Reaction score
I know there are many that love Simms gear. I am one of them. However, I agree that some of their gear has been priced "well" beyond what I personally would ever be willing to pay.

comeonavs

Reaction score
No they aren't insane at all, that stuff will sell.

My buddy who makes and annual trip to Alaska and a bi-annual trip to Kamchatka will buy that in a second. And no he isn't an "elitist" or a snob by any stretch of the imagination, he's just in a way different tax bracket than me.

If I were in the income range to take a fly fishing trip of a lifetime every year I wouldn't balk at those. Can you imagine ponying up 10k for a trip of a lifetime, I can't either but as many guys can as those that can't.

Necessity is the mother of invention and clearly the market says there is a need or Simms wouldn't be doing it....

Is Range Rover insane for having 90k SUV's.....nope the freeway is full of them

plecain

Reaction score
I got the same email that others did, I guess.

When you look at Simms' other jackets like the G3 and G4, this new one is more-or-less in line price-wise.

The jacket's the same price as the G4. I don't know if they had a comparable set of pants before.

looper34

Reaction score
No doubt there are things that you should never go the cheap route with, like shoes or your mattress, but if I paid a thousand bucks on a jacket, I'd be afraid to wear it.

el jefe

Reaction score
Simms' stuff is pricey, no doubt, and much of it is overpriced. I can get better fishing shirts for half of their prices, in many cases, and other sportswear items are similarly overpriced. But for waders and wading boots they're best in class, and worth the money, if you stay with the G3, rather than go with the more expensive G4 or G4Z models. Their jackets are debatable. I bought a Guide jacket several years ago that was on sale at $299 ($100 off), and thought that was outrageous. Turns out it's a great jacket, and the price on very similar models has not gone up at all, even gone down some. Those models are great value now. But the higher models they've been replaced by are arguably unnecessarily overdone and overpriced, well past the point of diminishing returns. If I had the scratch to buy any one of those I wanted would I still do it? I doubt it, knowing what I know now. To me, the incremental improvements haven't kept pace with the incremental price increases. Plus, the ugly quotient has gone up in some of their recent, pricier stuff.

berg

Reaction score
Is it just me or is that stuff priced just as their stuff has been for a while now? G4Z waders for example and a G4 Pro jacket will cost you more than that suit, and that doesn't even include the wading boots. I get that those pants aren't waders, but Simms stuff has been in that price ballpark for a while, no?

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Assuming you are talking about their new Pro Dry suit, that is.

btwom67

Reaction score
Yeah...I think Simms may end up alienating a good part of the market at some point, maybe they already have. Every 3-4 years when its time to get a new pair it gets a little harder to wrap my brain around $500 for waders. Am I wrong or does the less expensive stuff last just as long...maybe doesn't have every bell and whistle but I know a few guys using $150 waders on a regular basis with great results. Sliding on something with a Simms label isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Label Queens are great for the bottom line. :frogdance
Shots fired!!! Everyone reach for your sense of humor. :)

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Is it wetter under water than it is when it rains?
I'm not sure Jack, but we all want to play in the water, but not get wet. It just sounds strange. :)