The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 AM

mgibson80 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie - Multiday Trip - Spares Kit?

Hi Everyone,

At the end of the month I'm taking my 2nd fly fishing trip with some friends to a small lake in the northeast where we'll be fishing for trout from canoes for 5 days. I went with this group 2 years ago and had a blast. It was my first real introduction to fly fishing and for that trip I borrowed everything I needed.

This time, I'd like to make a little investment and be more self sufficient. I'd also like to have my own stuff so that I can continue learning fly fishing throughout the year.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these outfits through Cabelas which are on sale right now.

St. Croix Legend Ultra 9' 4wt, 4pc, Cabelas RLS reel
Cabelas LST 9' 4wt 4pc, Cabelas Watershed reel
Both come with the usual backing and Mastery GPX line.

I'm now thinking about about an idea of some spares, specifically whether or not I should buy a 2nd rod & reel…. just a spool with spare line, etc.

With the rods I've listed above, I don't want to make 2x the investment in the same rod/reel… but from my searching have obviously learned that you want something with similar handling than your main outfit.

I guess my question is - what would you recommend as a spares kit for a newbie on a multi-day trip? (beyond extra leaders & tippet… mainly rod, reels, spools, line, etc)

I was talking with one of the other gentleman who makes this same trip yearly, who said he was planning on fishing size 12 or 14 nymphs. Do I need to be looking for a different kind of sinking line and leader? Or will I get by with the GPX floating line, regular leader, and a little shot?

Thanks so much!

Matt
Old 08-10-2010, 10:41 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newbie - Multiday Trip - Spares Kit?

what I would do is whichever outfit you get, get another spool for the reel. Then keep floating weight-forward line (easier to cast, especially for starting out) on one and a sink tip on the other. Then you'll be a little more prepared for any fishing situation, and you'll only put out the money for one rig.

Alternately, sometimes I use a floating line and use a 9' to 13' leader with a bb split shot instead of a sink tip line. Gets the nymps down without even changing spools.

Where in the NE are you going?
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgibson80 View Post
Hi Everyone,

At the end of the month I'm taking my 2nd fly fishing trip with some friends to a small lake in the northeast where we'll be fishing for trout from canoes for 5 days. I went with this group 2 years ago and had a blast. It was my first real introduction to fly fishing and for that trip I borrowed everything I needed.
Welcome to the forum. It reads like it should be an exciting trip.

Quote:
This time, I'd like to make a little investment and be more self sufficient. I'd also like to have my own stuff so that I can continue learning fly fishing throughout the year.
That's a very good idea.

Quote:
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these outfits through Cabelas which are on sale right now.

St. Croix Legend Ultra 9' 4wt, 4pc, Cabelas RLS reel
Cabelas LST 9' 4wt 4pc, Cabelas Watershed reel
Both come with the usual backing and Mastery GPX line.
I am sure any one of those setups will work for you.

Quote:
I'm now thinking about about an idea of some spares, specifically whether or not I should buy a 2nd rod & reel…. just a spool with spare line, etc.

With the rods I've listed above, I don't want to make 2x the investment in the same rod/reel… but from my searching have obviously learned that you want something with similar handling than your main outfit.
You can get two different line weight rated rods. You can use a 3 weight as a dry rod and a 4 weight as your wet rod. Or you can buy a 4 and a 5 for the same purpose. If you buy rods in the same series, only subtle adjustments in casting technique will be required.

Quote:
I guess my question is - what would you recommend as a spares kit for a newbie on a multi-day trip? (beyond extra leaders & tippet… mainly rod, reels, spools, line, etc)
Fishing stillwater is a line game. You should have two rods rigged with different lines, so you can present the fly at the depth the fish are holding. In most lakes that I fish, I have one rod rigged up with a slow sinking line and one rigged with a floating line. Keep in mind that it is easier and more efficient to switch rods rather than rerig.

Quote:
I was talking with one of the other gentleman who makes this same trip yearly, who said he was planning on fishing size 12 or 14 nymphs. Do I need to be looking for a different kind of sinking line and leader? Or will I get by with the GPX floating line, regular leader, and a little shot?
As I mentioned earlier, having two rods has its advantage which is to present the fly where the fish are holding. A full sink line will fish a subsurface fly more efficiently. Since the whole line is in the water rather than the leader with a few feet of line, the angle of retrieve will be more consistent. Also the sinking line will not make the surface microwakes that floating lines produce. Those microwakes can spook fish. Plus casting shot feels clumsy. When the fish are feeding off emerging bugs, dead bugs, or terrestrials, on top, use the dry line.

The wet line that I recommend to anyone stillwater fishing is either Rio's Lake line in the intermediate sink rate or Cortland's Precision Intermediate Stillwater line.

MP
Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 PM

mgibson80 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ant and Mosca - I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Ant - I'll be fishing a small lake in northeastern Maine.

You both had a different opinion and I'm still conflicted!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the St. Croix Legend Ultimate 9ft 4wt.

I guess I have a few choices are:

1) Buy a 3wt rod & reel in the same series. Not super excited about this option because of the expense of the rod I chose. I say 3wt because if I stepped this up to a 5wt, I believe the reel size jumps up and I wouldn't be able to swap things around.

2) Buy an inexpensive 3wt and same reel. Although completely different rods... maybe not the best idea when I'm still learning.

2) Just buy a spare spool and some full sink or sink tip line.

Anyone else have some thoughts to push me one direction or the other? For what I'm planning to do and my experience level - would I really benefit from having a 2nd outfit ready to go at a moments notice?

Thanks again!
Matt
Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

MP's idea is really good.

But personally, I hike a bit in to my spots so that I can get away from the crowds and hiking in with a second rod can be a bit of a pain. I try to carry as little as possible(but never seems to work out that way )Plus the other rod would be broken down b/c of hiking and then set up when I need it and then broken down..... you get my drift.

But if having a second rod is not an issue, such as your in a boat or your in a spot for a decent length of time, it is a bit quicker to change fishing styles with a second pre-rigged rod.

I just move about to much for the benefits to offset the cons for me.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog