Why So Many Pop Up Ads??? (Nothing to do with Fishing)

flyfishmich

Reaction score
Maybe I am just crabby this morning but....

Why does this site all of a sudden have pop up ads that just seem to slide right over when you are trying to read. I know why its there. I know why its done. I just hate the annoying damn things. And if marketing/advertisers read this post. Just know that I will not buy ANYTHING from a pop up/sliding ad. EVER. Just because its annoying and degrading my experience.

Thats it.

---------- Post added at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

and yes, my pop up blocker is on.

onemississipp

Reaction score
I don't get ads...strange..I use an Ipad, Iphone, and PC to connect to site.. No sliding ads for me.

Thank goodness! That would drive me crazy.

flyfishmich

Reaction score
I don't get ads...strange..I use an Ipad, Iphone, and PC to connect to site.. No sliding ads for me.

Thank goodness! That would drive me crazy.
macbook pro too. So, not like I have an outdated model with 3 year old software. Just got this set up.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
...and yes, my pop up blocker is on.
Check your settings again in that I'm just using Windows-7 and do not get the types of ads you're speaking of (also, be sure to clear your cache and cookies every now and then in that they may be overriding the setting if you allowed it even unintentionally by clicking on something).

That said, the ads on this site are incredibly intrusive and the new top banner ads literally take up half of the screen vertically.

B.E.F.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Something happened overnight. I have a slider coming from my left screen and it won't close, leaving a play again banner visible. My speakers are playing very loud with what sounds like a computer game in the background and I can't turn it off. The ad is for an arcade website. I finally saw the hide button top left.

ts47

Reaction score
Those ads, I'm sure, help pay for this site. This doesn't make me like them any better. Knowing this does help me put up with them though.

Some ads, not just from this site, will embed cookies on your computer that don't get removed by deleting browsing history etc. I find that running my virus software scans will eliminate them though. This may help with the more intrusive of the ads. I use Norton Internet Security. It includes a full host of protection software.

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
hell guys I keep getting all these "DEALS" for places in Las Vegas

Stay and play etc

GUYS I "LIVE IN LAS VEGAS" !

I can walk to the Strip if so inclined....

bunch -o- C%^*@

sdtrout

Reaction score
I, too just started getting these. Terribly annoying!

Using Safari, I made sure pop-ups were blocked and cleared my history and web site data. Still there.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

I just logged into this forum using Google Chrome instead of Safari and the annoying ads don't seem to be appearing. Perhaps they will reappear given time but we'll see.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
Not getting them on iOS or Chrome on Mac or PC. Just getting the normal ads I've always gotten. Sounds like some software has been compromised, possilby server side.

tbblom

Reaction score
Super frickin annoying... every new link I open has them.
Pop up blocker is on, this page is not exempted.
The usual ads on the margins are fine, these stupid arcade game ads are ruining the experience.

fr8dog

Reaction score
Is anyone running the ad blocking programs? I'm not getting any of this stuff on my machines.

ts47

Reaction score
Guys... Delete browsing history then run your antivirus software. If it works like Norton, it will find the embedded "cookies" that cause the most offensive ads. I'm using Win 7 with Chrome and get ads that s l o w d o w n how fast this site loads. That's as bad as it gets though, at least for me.

wjc

Reaction score
I use the most recent firefox that allows me to disable javascript which is about 40 iterations ago. I get hardly any adds on any site, and none with movement in them, with it disabled. But I also block cookies by website name as well as the default of "no cookies allowed" except by stated exception from me. Unfortunately, you can't cut and paste lists of sites into the "block sites" form so you have to type them in.

So I don't get many adds at all, even with javascript enabled. I also have google and yahoo dot coms blocked and all their clever variations with more than one dot in the addresses. like Google.ads.com etc.

I turn on javascript to check for messages and if I want to put smiley's in a post. So I get no ads at all with movement in them, and most are just blank.

I figure whenever a company wants me to fix something that ain't broke, there's a reason for it that benefits them at my expense. For instance, you can't turn off javascript on any of the firefox browsers for a long time. This old one takes me exacly 4 seconds - I just timed it. :D

PS: I use a proxy search engine so it sends me the google results since I have them blocked.

duker

Reaction score
I've got a MacBook Pro and I've downloaded the Apple "Ad Block" extension. Works like magic--no ads ever. Worth the $ in my opinion.

Scott

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
hell guys I keep getting all these "DEALS" for places in Las Vegas

Stay and play etc

GUYS I "LIVE IN LAS VEGAS" !

I can walk to the Strip if so inclined....

bunch -o- C%^*@
Only once, to New Zealand, airplane had an issue. So we emergency landed and no where to go till the replacement aircraft got there. Purchased a roll of 'quarters,' $20.00? Lost every one in a slot machine. But nice young lady kept bringing me a glass of seriously bad Scotch. Got another roll and lost those too.

Lay over in the Figi (spelling is bad) Island's at 0200 headed for New Zealand. Indian couple turned on their kitchen, about 50 of us on the plane. Ate like Kings and Queens. I can't speak for others, but I put two 'twenties' next to the plate.

No replacement airplane for the next 50-60 hours, more food. Sleep on the floor, shove-shove 'Food ready.' No idea what they made, but serious sleepy food, base of rice and veggies/meat on top. Stacks of 'green backs' on the tables when we left. Young Mothers/kiddletts got special handling.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
When I lose a MASSIVE post for the expense report section that included numerous links, photos and so on, and on top of it lose the entire post as well which just to be safe copied it into cache for paste due to the intrusive ads losing 4 hours of my life to write it all......I think I've just about had enough of them.

I try to be easy going, yet some of these ads altering the function of my PC and freezing up the forum are really testing my restraint.

B.E.F.