A Proper Hat

bob3700

Reaction score
I am in pursuit of a proper fly fishing hat.

Besides a baseball style hat (which I have many), it seems that a proper wide brimmed hat would be preferred.

Something that protects some skin from the sun while providing something of an umbrella if the weather turns wet. It should be good in a wide range of temperatures, not too hot, not too cold.

My fishing usually stops when the temps get into the freezing range. Lakes in my area ice over and outings for Trout are limited.

I have looked at the Orvis website and examined their selection of brimmed hats. Looked at a couple of sites that offer Stetson hats as well.

Anyone have a story of their favorite flyfishing hat! I am interested.

Bob

fq13

Reaction score
For cold wet weather I would reccomend either a Filson tin cloth (oilskin fedora) hat in canvas or go really old school and get a Stetson or Bailey in 6x beaver or better. All will be water proof and keep flies out of your ears.;) There is always the tilley, but it isn't water proof. There is a company that makes a look alike called the Seattle Sombrero in goretex. I think REI carries them. They are nice hats, but I like my Filson and Bailey, I'm just old school.:D

mikechell

Reaction score
I don't think you'll find a waterproof hat that's also cool. To keep the rain off, it will also keep the air from circulating.
I've got a regular cloth hat.
hat - My Photo Gallery

It keeps the sun off, keeps errant flies from sticking in my ears and actually does a good job of keeping the occasional rain shower off my head. If it's raining too badly, it will soak and start running through, but by then I am getting off the water anyway.

Any wide brimmed hat will do, but:
1) Keep it soft. If you get a hard brimmed hat, and decide to take it off for a while, you can't stuff it in a back pack or anything. If you get a cloth one, you can roll it up if need be.
2) Keep it cheap. More money won't protect you more ... and it's a whole lot less painful when it falls off in the current and you can't get it back.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I have an Indiana Jones style brimmed hat that I use fishing, to keep the sun and rain off my ears. No good in the winter, and if it's cold I have a black stocking cap to cover my ears.

I haven't found the perfect cap that combines both. Honestly, if I could get away with it, I wouldn't wear a hat at all - I'm not a hat guy. My hair is thick and fine and soon my head is damp with sweat and my sunglasses fog up.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
First off, if you buy a Stetson, you'll be paying for the name. You'd be better off with Baily. JMHO.

What I wear is a hat from Dorfman Pacific. Had this hat for many many many years and it's still going strong. I believe it's $50.

Dorfman Pacific Greek Fisherman Caps, Dorfman Pacific Outdoors, Dorfman Pacific Straw Hats, Dorfman Pacific Travel Hats, Dorfman Pacific Casual Hats, Dorfman Pacific Visors, Dorfman Pacific Crushable, Dorfman Pacific Fabric, Dorfman Pacific All Fedor

Tilley is good and they have a strong fan base throughout the world.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Did someone say Hat?!

Oh boy, don't get me started. Anyway, considering the season I'd suggest something along the lines of this.

B.E.F.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I like one that won't blow off if things get gusty, therefore I don't go with the full brimmed styles unless I wear my old David Hanna & Sons tweed. The brim on that is only about 1 1/8 inch. When it comes to hats I do have a bunch, finding an all rounder is tough. I have light colored breathable ones for warm sunny days - Wool tweed for cold weather and one of the Simms Foul Weather caps with the ear flap chin strap thing going on. The Simms is the ticket for really rough times and all others are just to conceal thinning hair :)

J

james w 3 3

By "proper fly fishing hat" do you mean perhaps a waxed cotton Barmoral cap from Christy's of London? Comes in a cracking nice tartan pattern too if you fancy that.

Ok, forgive me, I was just on the UK sister board . . .

The best rain protection is a Seattle Sombrero from Outdoor Research. (the Snoqualmie even has ear flaps.)

The best all purpose outdoor hats are from Tilley. Mine is the Airflo model, but it's not useful in the rain. Since I do not like fishing in the rain it's not an issue. Beyond that though it's superb.

siege

Reaction score
A proper hat indeed !
I have been on my soapbox here on the forum a few times, espousing the virtues of a wide brimmed hat. If you have ever sunburned the tops of your ears, you know what a pain that can be.
Skin cancer is an even bigger concern. Protect yourself !
Get something you enjoy, try a few styles, shapes and colors. Be sure the underside of the brim is a dark, light absorbing color, to protect your eyes from reflected glare from the water.
When you find the perfect lid, send up a selfie :)

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Personally I think RipTide came up with the perfect idea for a hat in another thread:

...and if you're fishing in the Driftless, don't forget your Beer Beard:

B.E.F.

fq13

Reaction score
A proper hat indeed !
I have been on my soapbox here on the forum a few times, espousing the virtues of a wide brimmed hat. If you have ever sunburned the tops of your ears, you know what a pain that can be.
Skin cancer is an even bigger concern. Protect yourself !
Get something you enjoy, try a few styles, shapes and colors. Be sure the underside of the brim is a dark, light absorbing color, to protect your eyes from reflected glare from the water.
When you find the perfect lid, send up a selfie :)
Plus one to the above especially the dark under brim, if you fish the the flats I bought four Old Navy American flag ball caps on sale because the underside of the brim was dark blue rather than white. It does matter in the Glades when you are sight fishing for reds and snook in two feet of water.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Did someone say Hat?!

Oh boy, don't get me started. Anyway, considering the season I'd suggest something along the lines of this.

B.E.F.
UHH.....What's its name, and is it housebroken?:D

JoJer

Reaction score
When I came to Idaho I was.on terminal leave. I'd been wearing a beret for work for a few a few years. I couldn't get used to a brim, so I wore the silly thing most of the time I was cowboying.The beret is the hat that does nothing well.
I bought a cheap straw gardening hat for fishing this past fall and I have cotton full brim, sort of a civvy floppy for the rain.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
UHH.....What's its name, and is it housebroken?:D
Well, I'm not sure I can repeat the names my wife usually calls me, and clearly I'm not or she would not use them....Oh wait, you mean the hat right?

When I came to Idaho I was.on terminal leave. I'd been wearing a beret for work for a few a few years. I couldn't get used to a brim, so I wore the silly thing most of the time I was cowboying. The beret is the hat that does nothing well.
Hehe, the hat that does nothing well, too funny and too true. Although, I imagine if it was a classic "French (tourists) Beret" and you wore it cowboy-ing, it might have helped you get into a boxing match or two :shades:

Anyways bob3700, whatever hat you choose don't forget to line it with tinfoil...It really helps :thumbsup:

B.E.F.

bob3700

Reaction score
For really hot weather, I do have a wide brimmed light wt. sombrero style hat. Mesh sides and all. You can roll it up if need be.

For the spring and fall, I was looking for something more substantial. Looked at all the Orvis offerings and even hit a website that sells Stetsons.

A stiffer brim for flip-downs is a good idea.

Need the sun protection as I have already had a bout (minor) with skin cancer.

I agree that a one hat for all seasons may not be possible.

Looking at lighter colors to extend the temp range the hat can handle.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I wear the Tilley Air-flo. If its too cold for the Tilley I'm wearing a wool stocking cap. I may look into a Filson Packer also.

bob3700

Reaction score
Looked at the Filson packer hats.

The felt hat looked like the material was pretty thick/heavy. More of a Winter hat.

The standard packer hat had a pretty narrow brim.

The Forester was more of what I had in mind. Chin strap as well.

Have looked at the Stetson 4X Drifter hats. If they are not overly stiff, that is a style with features that are attractive.

Wish there was some place you could shop for these. The on-line order and keep your fingers crossed is not the best way to shop for a hat.

Bob

ezduzit

Reaction score
Rarely do I ever wear a hat, but for notable exceptions. When it's very cold, a wool watch cap. If it rains heavily enough, an ancient Stetson 4X Gun Club "Dune". To keep the sun off my ears while I'm fly fishing, I picked up one something like this.

slowdown

Reaction score
I wear a Tiley. i had a Airflo but my wife confiscated it one hiking trip and now it is "her" hat. So, on the same trip, we stopped in an outdoor shop and they had the Tiley TH4 Hemp. This hat has all the fit and performance of the Airflo, but is so much more comfortable on my bald head.

TH4 Hemp

I still rock a very very old baseball style fishing hat too, but with what we all know about the sun and cancer risk, I prefer this Tiley now days.