The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Feel Good Winter's Over

Nothing remarkable just made me think I've got the greatest cast after winter's rest...last saturday at the fly shop decided to try out all their 12 wts...had my reel(new "bargain" toy old round hole solid frame, QE2 anchor, abel 4.5N in carib camo) and 12wt cortland tropic plus... it's about 35 degrees...started with loomis glx then glx cc then sage Xi then sage Xi2 then winston MX then scott x2s ...they were all great... tip casting 60-70 feet of line... 12"loops...nice and easy hauls...then after the last try...it dawned on me...it wasn't the rod.... it wasn't me.... it was the line... it was really stiff in the cold but it would turnover and shoot and shoot straight... all I had to do was wait on the back cast and stretch the coils out...for a moment I thought my rotator cuff is like new...my youth has returned...until someone remarked that stiff line sure flies what is it?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feel Good Winter's Over

Don't you just hate it when you get awoken from a great dream!

You have given me an idea though.
With our Lawsuit happy society nowdays where a person can collect $$ on trivial nonsense.
Can a person sue and collect from the major rod manufacturers? I mean afterall it's not our fault that our rotator cuff's get torn beyond repair, or we get Carpal Tunnel syndrome, it's them gosh darned flyrods that they make us cast year after year!!

Oh brother, I do need to get out soon......

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-27-2008, 12:41 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

We're still froze up, up here
Old 03-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bonefish41,

Come on Ray, you must of had a favorite out of that bunch of rods? Inquiring minds need to know.

The Tropic Plus is the only salt water line I have ever used. I tend to find what works and then stick with it.

Frank
Old 03-28-2008, 05:58 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Franke:

Under those conditions(including not much wind on the parking lot), for me, any difference was very slight and insignificant. A day on the casting deck might reveal significant differences. If I had to...the old loomis cc three piece was the softest thus loaded easier and was ever so slighly easier...
Old 03-28-2008, 07:15 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

And a lot has to do with the line! Me, a average or sub average fly caster can cast like a pro with Sharkskin. The Skin seems to cast great with any rod I put it on.

But, like you said, experience is what makes the perfect presentation with any rod.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:57 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Guess what, we got more snow up here today...only good part of that is it didnt stick around. Snow geese up here though...plenty of them.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:35 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

Well, awoke to another winter wonderland scene....Add 6" to the feet remaining to melt....
Old 03-29-2008, 05:48 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Still snowing here in Jackson Hole as well. But when you consider the only month I have never seen it snow here in 12 years is August, snow in March is nothing!! Except it stays this time of year.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures