The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 02:48 PM

sam_mothner has a spectacular aura aboutsam_mothner has a spectacular aura about
Default Are the measure nets accurate?

A few months ago I caught a big fish. I didn't have a tape with me but guessed it at around 22. Then someone walked up and he had a measure net. We put the fish in the net and it said 23. I looked a bit more closely at the new after we released it and thought that the inch marks were not accurate. Is this true? If they are inaccurate, how much off are they?
Old 01-12-2016, 03:00 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are the measure nets accurate?

You'd have to actually measure the difference with a measuring tape. But, who cares? After a couple beers all our fish get bigger and they put up a horrific monster fight that took us into our backing.

Twice!!
Old 01-12-2016, 03:06 PM

Walter1023 is a splendid one to beholdWalter1023 is a splendid one to beholdWalter1023 is a splendid one to beholdWalter1023 is a splendid one to beholdWalter1023 is a splendid one to beholdWalter1023 is a splendid one to beholdWalter1023 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_mothner View Post
A few months ago I caught a big fish. I didn't have a tape with me but guessed it at around 22. Then someone walked up and he had a measure net. We put the fish in the net and it said 23. I looked a bit more closely at the new after we released it and thought that the inch marks were not accurate. Is this true? If they are inaccurate, how much off are they?
That sounds like an honest novice approach. Once you become an expert the general rule is "take your best honest guestimate......then add 5 inches for when you tell the story to others".
"However, I must warn all beginners that the dry-fly game is an insidious one. It creeps upon you unawares, and unless you fight the tendency you will eventually fish in no other way." Ray Bergman, TROUT 1938
Old 01-12-2016, 03:07 PM

GrtLksMarlin has much to be proud ofGrtLksMarlin has much to be proud ofGrtLksMarlin has much to be proud ofGrtLksMarlin has much to be proud ofGrtLksMarlin has much to be proud ofGrtLksMarlin has much to be proud ofGrtLksMarlin has much to be proud ofGrtLksMarlin has much to be proud ofGrtLksMarlin has much to be proud ofGrtLksMarlin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
You'd have to actually measure the difference with a measuring tape. But, who cares? After a couple beers all our fish get bigger and they put up a horrific monster fight that took us into our backing.
I think I have my wife finally convinced that the metric tape measure we have is in inches

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:09 PM

sdtrout is just really nicesdtrout is just really nicesdtrout is just really nicesdtrout is just really nice

Put fish in measure net, calculate length, round UP to nearest inch. Close enough!
mcnerney, rusty 54 and mridenour like this.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not that anyone asked...
But the last 2 saltwater rods that I built, I added a thread wrap at 28 inches
28 inches is the current minimum length for a "keeper" striped bass...not that I ever keep them
It's just nice to know when you have a "legal" fish.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:12 PM

nevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to beholdnevadanstig is a splendid one to behold

If any device showed 23, you need to be telling the story as 26. What kind of fisherman are you for crying out loud?

Actually, I for one measured the width of my right hand. Sounds funny, but if you know the measurement of that, it will get you very close. And its something you always have with you.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
mcnerney, itchmesir and markfrid like this.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
Actually, I for one measured the width of my right hand. Sounds funny, but if you know the measurement of that, it will get you very close. And its something you always have with you.
I do that as well. I know exactly across my knuckles where it measures 3 inches. Good for a quick measure of a fish that had been placed against your rod.
Also good for estimating when someone in hero shot is full of dog doo.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:42 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is not that the marks are inacurrately placed. It is the fact that the bottom of the net is bent so the measure net measure along a radius and not along a straight line.

I have a measure replacement bag on one of my nets and when you put a large fish in the bottom, the fish bends and is not straight plus the net is measuring the outside radius of the fish.
mcnerney, cpiercem and markfrid like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-12-2016, 04:42 PM

james w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to beholdjames w 3 3 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
The problem is not that the marks are inacurrately placed. It is the fact that the bottom of the net is bent so the measure net measure along a radius and not along a straight line.

I have a measure replacement bag on one of my nets and when you put a large fish in the bottom, the fish bends and is not straight plus the net is measuring the outside radius of the fish.
No! It's even worse than that!!
I just finished measuring my net markings and the marks are not 1" apart but well over that, 10" on the net was 11" on my tape measure. I repeated this over and over, stretching, flattening, substituting a 10" piece of string laid along the bottom, everything I could think of. WTF?!?! My net has been short changing me by approximately 10%. Mine is the type with 0 at the bottom midpoint.
Have we been bamboozled or is this an intentional compensation for the effects mentioned in Silver's post??
Now I know why they use those flat plastic "trough" measuring things at competitions.
And I'm wondering about the measuring marks on my FishCat float tube stripping net.