The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By moucheur2003
  • 1 Post By hairwing530
  • 1 Post By caberguy
  • 1 Post By moucheur2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2016, 06:54 PM

cavscout9753 has a spectacular aura aboutcavscout9753 has a spectacular aura about
Default Orvis Battenkill III drag info

Hey folks, my Battenkill III came in and I love it. My only question is about the drag. I can't seem to find anything on which position is which of the 4 settings. It has a block that rotates mounted under the spool, I get that much. But is there a picture somewhere that shows which position the block is in relative to the drag setting? I understand that I should be able to just "feel" which is harder but honestly I don't think my touch is quite that sensitive at this point. The included booklet doesn't describe it and a google search has been fruitless. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2016, 07:13 PM

moucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Orvis Battenkill III drag info

In principle, the more the spring is compressed, the stronger the drag will be. The current Battenkill design with its movable block gives you four choices. (Others might not be adjustable at all, or might have a screw mechanism that allows finer adjustments.) But it's kind of a gimmick. If you can't tell the difference, don't worry about it. A spring-and-pawl check primarily serves to prevent the line from tangling when you're pulling it off the reel. On that type of reel, you apply drag when you need it by pressing your thumb or palm against the spool rim.
hairwing530 and markfrid like this.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:44 AM

hairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to moucheur2003's thoughts. Today's Battenkill fly reels are simple spring-and-pawl check systems, in which your palm best supplies whatever "drag" you need. It takes a little practice to know how much palm pressure to apply, but it's usually less than you think.

Personally, I like the simplicity of the design, and having to develop a "feel" for palming the rim. A couple of my "fishing cronies," on the other hand, are dyed-in-the-wool disc-drag fanciers. To each his own. Both styles of "drag" have their strong points...

There is one option for you to consider, should you still have questions. Call the Orvis Fly Fishing Department and talk to the guys there. They're extremely helpful, as are all of the Orvis Customer Service folks. And, best of all, they'll steer you right...

Just a thought... Wade safe in the season ahead, and enjoy your Battenkill III...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:34 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

I have the II, and I use it on my Redington CT 2wt, so I'm not overly worried about having a ton of stopping power.

The drag adjustment is a rectangular washer with an offset hole drilled in it. As moucheur said, the more you compress the spring, the higher the drag setting. Your lowest drag setting is the side with the smallest/thinnest distance between the edge of the washer and the pivot point. Engage the the thinnest side against the spring and you have the least spring tension, and lowest drag. Engage the biggest/thickest side against the spring to create the most tension, that's your highest drag setting. The next thickest is 3rd highest, etc.

In reality, I don't remember feeling that much difference between the settings either, but then, I'm not an 8oz fish.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:25 AM

moucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post

There is one option for you to consider, should you still have questions. Call the Orvis Fly Fishing Department and talk to the guys there. They're extremely helpful, as are all of the Orvis Customer Service folks. And, best of all, they'll steer you right...
Yes indeed.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:07 AM

cavscout9753 has a spectacular aura aboutcavscout9753 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks folks, that all seems simple enough and makes sense. I hadn't expect too much in regards to drag strength and was expectint a majority of the effort to come from palming, which is something I'm hoping to get better at in general. In the future I'll pick up a larger set up for saltwater and was going to invest more in relying on a disc drag for that purpose. I love the reel and this was the only confusion but yall cleared it up perfectly. Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2016, 01:39 PM

jsxtreme is just really nicejsxtreme is just really nicejsxtreme is just really nicejsxtreme is just really nicejsxtreme is just really nice

Edit: nevermind...

Last edited by jsxtreme; 01-15-2016 at 02:02 PM.