The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2016, 10:28 AM

itchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond repute
Default How cold does it get in the Midwest?

This cold...

"Trout jumped and froze to wall in -22 degrees in decorah, IA 2014." by yyott in pics - Imgur
Old 01-14-2016, 11:24 AM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of
Default Re: How cold does it get in the Midwest?

This would seem impossible to me if I hadn't tried to operate the next door neighbor's brass door knocker with my lips when I was about five years old. That may have been the day I learned how painful stupidity can be.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:37 AM

weiliwen has a spectacular aura aboutweiliwen has a spectacular aura about

I don't put my lips on anybody's brass knockers, even in the summer!

Seriously, I fished a week ago Saturday, January 2, and in the morning it was so cold (How cold was it, Johnny?) that my line - not my guides, the actual fly line and leader - had a solid coating of ice right down to the fly, which looked like a midge popsicle. That's too cold for me to fish. Curiously enough, I felt toasty warm. I just couldn't get the line out until it warmed up to about 20 degrees.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:56 PM

ten_fiver will become famous soon enoughten_fiver will become famous soon enough

That's a cool picture, just not sure I believe it. The standing water in the pool beneath the fish is completely ice free.

*edit: disregard, I now see that the water is warm from fog coming off the ponds in the background.
hairwing530 and mridenour like this.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:38 PM

fishmandoug has a spectacular aura aboutfishmandoug has a spectacular aura aboutfishmandoug has a spectacular aura about

Flash frozen fish stick!

It sure felt about that cold the past few days here in the Chicago area. Then today it is 40*. They are saying it will be back to zero by Sunday.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:07 PM

boisker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiliwen View Post
Seriously, I fished a week ago Saturday, January 2, and in the morning it was so cold (How cold was it, Johnny?) that my line - not my guides, the actual fly line and leader - had a solid coating of ice right down to the fly, which looked like a midge popsicle. That's too cold for me to fish. Curiously enough, I felt toasty warm. I just couldn't get the line out until it warmed up to about 20 degrees.
Mmm..... When it gets that cold in the UK (to be fair I live in the south, the good folks in Scotland probably tough it out more)..... I put my feet up, close the front door, light a nice fire and watch YouTube of others fishing somewhere warm
hairwing530 and itchmesir like this.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:22 PM

itchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmandoug View Post
Flash frozen fish stick!

It sure felt about that cold the past few days here in the Chicago area. Then today it is 40*. They are saying it will be back to zero by Sunday.
Sunday outlook here in SW WI is high of -4! Today feels like summer.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:35 PM

tex will become famous soon enough

Its 40 here at night and I freeze my butt off. I dont know how you guys do it
Old 01-14-2016, 02:50 PM

100954 is on a distinguished road

Forcasters are predicting 25 below this weekend for this part (westcentral) of Minnesota. We actually had late ice this year though. I usuall have my (fish) house on the lake by December 5 or 10 and still don't have it on. Although there is plenty of ice now. I usually like to have 7" - 9 " to pull my house out with my four-wheeler.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:03 PM

ontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of light

Weekends like the upcoming one have couch sitting or fly tying written all over it. If temps get into the mid-20's in the winter months, I may venture to a local stream. Picking ice out of your guides gets old after a while.

I actually dress light and wear a wicking layer. If you're trudging through snow along the banks, it doesn't take long to get warmed up....that, and a flask in your vest help .
hairwing530 and itchmesir like this.