Nymphing without an indicator

riverbandit

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Eric Anderson and I am new to the forum... first day in fact. Hi everyone!

Here is my question, with a little background first.

I have always relied on my indicator to detect strikes while nymphing for trout, and though I know there are still many situations where indicator fishing is appropriate, I have found many times I can catch more fish by removing my indicator and just trying to watch the fish, etc. The problem is, I often lose the fish or foul hook the fish because I am late detecting the strike. I'm sure I am completely missing strikes as well.

I would like to perfect this technique, but need some advice. Does anyone out there have experience with this type of straight line nymphing? I've heard guides talk about adding sight material to the leader, but I have never tried that. Would that help? If so how would I rig something like this? Also what is the best way to weight the rig... split, weighted flies, etc.? I know there are many opinions on that as well.

Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, riverbandit. Lots of helpful people here. I am the worst nymph fisherman in the world, and I believe bad information is worst than no information, so I will let those more accomplished on here answer your question. I'm sure there will be several along.

steve

Rip Tide

Reaction score
George Daniels did a seminar at our club about a year ago.
The same as on this video. It's a must see.
Plus, his book Dynamic Nymphing covers the subject thoroughly

[ame]http://youtu.be/Y9XlK3Q5mcU[/ame]

riverbandit

Reaction score
Thanks for sending this video. I actually saw George's presentation on this a couple weeks ago at the Fly Fishing Show. Easier to see his technique in this video though.

I think I will pick up his book, "Dynamic Nymphing" as well.

Thanks again!

Eric

J

james w 3 3

Blue Quill Angler, a shop in CO, has a DVDs by Steve Parrott called Czech Nymphing 101.
Best $30 I ever spent.

eddy4

Reaction score
Hey Eric,

Hi,

I do quite a bit of Frech nyphing, basically you tie a leader 3 meters long and fish two flies. You don’t fish it mega tight as in Czech nymping but with a slight D loop. You will detect 90% of your strikes. I only fish on medium freestone rivers. But it works really well on these waters, if there is fish you will catch it. I bought the DVD’s from Aaron Jaspers, but there should be quite a bit on YouTube.

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=i&rct=...ipTbRyektQXmDzKrEeGR0MQw&ust=1453372477752566

On site nymping work great, don’t wait til you feel it, when you see the fish open its mouth, you see a white spot, strike! Otherwise they spit it in clear water.

Good luck!

Hello,

My name is Eric Anderson and I am new to the forum... first day in fact. Hi everyone!

Here is my question, with a little background first.

I have always relied on my indicator to detect strikes while nymphing for trout, and though I know there are still many situations where indicator fishing is appropriate, I have found many times I can catch more fish by removing my indicator and just trying to watch the fish, etc. The problem is, I often lose the fish or foul hook the fish because I am late detecting the strike. I'm sure I am completely missing strikes as well.

I would like to perfect this technique, but need some advice. Does anyone out there have experience with this type of straight line nymphing? I've heard guides talk about adding sight material to the leader, but I have never tried that. Would that help? If so how would I rig something like this? Also what is the best way to weight the rig... split, weighted flies, etc.? I know there are many opinions on that as well.

Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Poke 'Em

Reaction score
Works best when you can cast as close to straight upstream as possible. If you can do that, then it's really quite simple. Cast upstream, with an appropriate amount of weight on your leader, and watch the end of your flyline, as it serves as your indicator. If it does anything funny, pick up.

ten_fiver

Reaction score
... I've heard guides talk about adding sight material to the leader, but I have never tried that. Would that help? If so how would I rig something like this? ...
I bought a couple furled nymph leaders from Cutthroat Leaders (great vendor by the way). A section of the leader is high-vis orange so you can use it to detect strikes.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Anyone have more input on sighters on your line to see how the fly flows through the water?
I hand tie my own leaders anyway, so after seeing George Daniel's program last year I when down to the local bait and tackle shop got myself some colored mono to build into my leaders.
:secret:
Stren Hi-Vis Yellow (8# .011") and Cajun Red (12# .013) ..... For the few yards that I wanted, they gave it to me free

I used those 2 to form a 2 colored "sighter" section of about 2 1/2 - 3 ft. that I can loop-2-loop between my leader and tippet when needed.
I always use a loop-2-loop connection myself, but I suppose this will also work with those little tippet rings as well

guest64

Account on hold
Reaction score
I do something similar to RipTide.

A simple way to start is to get some bright colored mono in the 8-12# test range -- Stren, Amnesia, or whatever you have or can find. Then take a packaged leader, 9' 4X or similar, mike or eyeball it down to the point where it's about the same diameter as the bright mono and cut it (should be more or less in the middle of the leader). Tie in about a 2' piece of the bright mono. Add a tippet ring if you've got one. Then tie on the remainder of the leader (might need to cut back the heavy end a bit) or just tie in 5' or so 4X or 5X tippet. Using a 2 piece sighter, like RipTide suggested, with 2 different colored pieces of mono (I use Green Amnesia and Gold Stren) is even better.

Steve Parrott recommends starting with a "backing sighter" looped to your fly line and then with straight tippet from the backing stighter to the flies. A backing sighter is simply a section of bright braided backing with loops in either end (and sometimes with black bars for contrast). You can buy or make backing sighters.

Keep your casts short and rod / rod arm high and extended, so that most / all of the fly line and leader butt is off the water and your bright sighter cuts through the surface at approximately a 45 degree angle.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Not sure you guys will be interested, or perhaps already know.....
But Umpqua makes Euro tippet that features colored segments, green/orange. (Bi-color).
Tie it in between the sighter, and the tippet ring.
Guys who are having a hard time seeing things will love how surgical you can get.
Each pass you make, you can judge exactly how deep you are.
Expensive, but effective....I found it helpful, and so did my people....
For guys that don't like advances in technology......never mind.

Jim

Last edited:

sndmn11

Reaction score
The alternating colored mono is nice, I think Rio and Umpqua have the shortest sections at the moment which is helpful for deep runs and knowing how far under your flies are. You can also take a sharpie and band it as much as you want, it will stay on there for a day.
You would be poorly served to try and learn these techniques by tying a sighter straight to your regular fly line. Instead, use no less than 15' of mono from fly line to sighter.
Depth and length of tippet from the flies to the sighter is what determines the sighter angle.
Learn the tuck cast as someone posted before.