Rod Carriers

jack hise

Reaction score
How do you transport your rods? :)

P.S. Not recommended for use in the Washington D.C area!:D

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
Haha, that is took cool. They fit in the car with the back seat down so we just throw them in there. We have a Sumo rack for spot hopping and I plan on a Titan Rod Vault in the near future.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Mine just barely fits in my car with the back seats down. Reel at the back of the trunk, tip up on the dash. Those rod vaults are nice. Way too rich for my blood though. And I'm a bit weary with how flooded the market is with refurbished units. Everyone says they are great, but theres got to be a reason there are so many refurbs out there.
I've been thinking of making my own, out of pvc.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
My 'old' Jeep (2002) 4x4 Liberty is solid steel so Mag's, CLANG ON THE ROOF, 60 mph and not a wiggle save for the rod tips. Maybe that's why the blo ody thing only gets 16 miles per gallon of Petrol? But the River is 10 minutes away.

Years back (drunk) 't-boned' me; his car totalled, mine had next to no damage. Well a new passanger side doors. And you guessed it ... no insurance. Keep your self well insured!!! :eek:

fae

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
Mine just barely fits in my car with the back seats down. Reel at the back of the trunk, tip up on the dash. Those rod vaults are nice. Way too rich for my blood though. And I'm a bit weary with how flooded the market is with refurbished units. Everyone says they are great, but theres got to be a reason there are so many refurbs out there.
I've been thinking of making my own, out of pvc.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Where have you seen a lot of refurbs? I haven't come across any and they don't have any available on their site. It is a pretty straight forward design so I am not sure what could fail on them to cause them to need to be rebuilt. That is good to know though if there are a lot of used/refurbs on the market.

I plan on buying two of them as I am getting a raft soon an being able to lock 6 rods up while we are grabbing food before or after we float is nice, not to mention we do a lot of multi day trips which involve hotel stays.

jack hise

Reaction score
When I moved to Coeur d'Alene I sold the "Rockets" to a friend and made new "tamer" carriers.
5' length of 2" PVC, end cap, length of 1" pipe insulation and a Velcro strap.

The foam pipe insulation slides inside the PVC pipe and protects the rod.

These can also be mounted below the side rails of a pickup bed.

Curtis

Reaction score
I put a shell, racks, and two Rod Vaults on my truck. They are fantastic.

fr8dog

Reaction score
How do you transport your rods? :)

P.S. Not recommended for use in the Washington D.C area!:D
I tried to find the story but just can't come up with it on the interwebs. There is a real good read about a pilot that parked in the airport employee lot with these type of tubes on his car. Needless to say, the powers that be were less than impressed.

caberguy

Reaction score
I pretty much just use this for transporting rigged rods from spot to spot, rigged with some shock cord to keep everything in place. It unscrews in the middle for easier storage.