Guiding info

gzarboni

Reaction score
Hello all.
Looking for a little advice from those of you that guide. First a little background. I have been fishing for over 40 years. 8 years ago I remarried and moved to the adirondack mountains in NY. I saw some guys fly fishing and wanted to try it out. I am now a very obsessed fly fisher and Tyer. I have been thinking about becoming a guide for about 2 years now. I have studied the rivers and walked many many miles. I finally took my guides test and now I am a licensed NY State guide.
I was wondering what the guides do to prepare for the season? I will be shadowing a guide this season to learn the ropes but I wanted to get a lot of different opinions.
I have been getting into shape, I go and check water levels and study the weather. My flies and gear are all ready to go. April 1st can't come soon enough. So if anybody has some advice I would appreciate it. Thanks
Glen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Talk to a good attorney about liability and insurance recommendations.
SOOO YES-YES-YES! :wavetowel The other thing is advanced Red Cross training. Lot of years but have had to tend to two fellows on the beach that just collaped; dragging a full grown man out of water is a hell of a lot harder than you think.

The 'life saver' was I still had a cell phone connection, it took just minutes for the EMT's racing across the beach! Bless the EMT's, I've had to call them twice for me... I was the one laying on the floor with the Dog next to me. Bottom line of this is ALWAYS HAVE YOUR CELL PHONE IN YOUR POCKET!

fae

1move

Reaction score
SOOO YES-YES-YES! :wavetowel The other thing is advanced Red Cross training. Lot of years but have had to tend to two fellows on the beach that just collaped; dragging a full grown man out of water is a hell of a lot harder than you think.

The 'life saver' was I still had a cell phone connection, it took just minutes for the EMT's racing across the beach! Bless the EMT's, I've had to call them twice for me... I was the one laying on the floor with the Dog next to me. Bottom line of this is ALWAYS HAVE YOUR CELL PHONE IN A ZIPLOC BAG IN YOUR POCKET!

fae
There I fixed it. Definitely get first aid training.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
A good read! American Red Cross Home

Add to this is a full on First Aid kit in your car (house is good too:army:); Ship Happens, a bit late to pull out the book and flip to page xyz. :eek: Most folks have 'toy kits,' as I call them, great if all you need is a Bandaide.:rolleyes:

All sorts of these at 'Army-Navy' surplus stores, bandages will be good, any thing else in a tube (anti-bacterial/etc) is going to be waaaay out of date. Get/keep a fresh kit and replace as necessary. Splint's are a pain but an easy carry in the car, mine are tucked under the front seat of the Jeep. Push comes to shove even something as simple as a magazine can be used as a splint, 1" sticks cut off a tree limb, you get the picture as long as you do your 'think it through' before you have to put into practice.

Will you? Probably not, but if/when you are ment./phys. ready. Military Medic's are some of the best trained in the world, amazing what they can do with next to nothing in their issue kit bags, its the 'my choices' that can be amazing stuff. Not issue but they get there hands on it anyway.

Back to the Red Cross for a moment: IF you follow the manual you are fully covered if some joker pulls you into Court! World is full of bottom feeder Atty's who love this kind of case.

fae

Last edited:

gzarboni

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Larry that was a great read, thank you. In NY State you have to have a Valid CPR/First AID and a water safety certificate before you get your guides license. I also took it upon myself to take a wilderness first responders course. That was intense. I also have a full first aid kit in my vehicle and a small one in my pack. Thanks Fred.
Jpbfly I am originally from Quebec so I know what you mean about the differences here in the US. I will look up all the different marketing plans. Thanks for the great advice.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Glen: Sounds like your off to a very good start! Suck out all the knowledge you can while shadowing that guide this season and you will be in good shape for next season.

Here are a couple other suggestions:
Learn the flora and fawna in your area....it's a great way to converse with your clients when not fishing. They are bound to ask, what kind of bird is that?
Spend some time in the off season and learn the history or your area, one of the best guided trips I experienced was on the B Section of the Green River below Flaming Gorge. At the end of the float the guide told us about the history of Browns Park and all the outlaws that hung out there, it was very fascinating.
If your not doing it, start seining the waters you fish each month and keep a log, that will pay off dividends in the future, you will be able to predict which hatches should be coming off when.

triggw

Reaction score
Congrats. You'll have a great time.

I guided for 6 years in Rocky Mountain National Park--starting a little later in life, like it sounds like you are. The main thing I found is to scout the fishing and wading conditions often. Here, conditions change as water rises and falls with runoff. So you have to know when you head out the door where you can take someone--given their age and condition--where they will be safe and have a chance to catch fish. Also figure out where you can take children, at least here, many trips are families with children. Have backups in case you find someone at your chosen location or (as is a problem in a National Park) you can't get a parking place.:(

Ask about their condition and their objectives for the day. And try to match the trip to that. (If they just had a knee replacement or can't handle altitude you want to figure that out early.) Some people want to learn fly fishing, others are just trying it out and just want to have a good time and maybe catch a few fish.

It sounds like you're independent rather than working through an outfitter. So the liability insurance is a real thing. And if you're guiding in Adirondack Park, be sure you have any special permits required. If you work for an outfitter, they should have all that covered.

And be sure you project that guide persona. Tune up your vocabulary with a lot of "Dude" and "Yo." Oh, and "Sick, man." ;)

Pete T

Reaction score
As has been posted above. It is always good to have an excellent understanding of what is happening on the river and bank side too.

I am sure this goes without saying but fish it as often as you can so that you have an intimate map in your head about holding spots and topography of each and every pool. It pays huge dividends when you are working.

When you start the day ask the your client what they want from the day. Do they like to fish just a dry, do they want numbers of fish, size of fish or just good company on the water?

It is sometimes worth asking if they would like any help or tips with casting too.

By asking some simple questions then it allows you to ensure they get the most from their day and for you to structure it accordingly.

My simple advice is never go through the motions. You might have done 10 days solid and are tired but each day is a new day and the person you are guiding has a day off work and is looking forward to their day fishing with you so always try and make it a special one every day.

Most of all enjoy it, it is hugely rewarding and great fun. Good luck!

gzarboni

Reaction score
Triggw,
Thanks for the tips dude. Hopefully I can get my clients on some sick fish bro. I am so jealous that you got to guide in the Rocky national park. Fishing out west is on my bucket list bro. Hitting it up on a drift boat dude would be awesome.
Pete T thanks as well. Great advice, I appreciate it.

ten_fiver

Reaction score
Triggw,
Thanks for the tips dude. Hopefully I can get my clients on some sick fish bro. I am so jealous that you got to guide in the Rocky national park. Fishing out west is on my bucket list bro. Hitting it up on a drift boat dude would be awesome.
Pete T thanks as well. Great advice, I appreciate it.

Easy though, if you overdo it, people will think you're a rafting guide.

:D

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That was funny, both of you :)

I fish with a guy who is a fish guide, he looks much younger than his 40 something years but he 'Dude's' me to death every season. There are certain words I remember; dude (of course) monster bow - monster steelhead - Wham! - monster king - monster silver - hot - ripping - unreal - awesome, and of course dude. We make an interesting dichotomy in conversation and generally have a good time.

Dude