Need some new wader advice

jor fly

Reaction score
Ok folks,
My old Redington Crosswaters are officially at the end of their life. I've got one of the crotch seems held together with aquaseal and duct tape. I am going to buy new waders after this season (got 5 years out of the crosswaters, which ain't bad IMO). I am going to move up in quality and am looking at spending $200-250 or less. Any advice as to what brand to get? I need something that can take a beating as most of my fishing is in mountain streams with lots of hardwoods, hemlocks, and rhododendron.
Some pairs I have looked at:
Orvis encounters
Simms Freestones
Orvis silver sonic convertable tops
frogg toggs
Redington palix river (though I've seen nothing but bad PR on these).

plecain

Reaction score
If you want to stick with Redington, then I can recommend its Sonic-Pro line.

They're very light and so far, two years, no issues at all.

plecain

Reaction score
Only problem is those are $300 and just out of my price range.
If you're speaking of the Redingtons, Amazon has some sizes on sale right now.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Redington-Sonic-Stocking-Foot-Wader/dp/B005LY8DRW"]Amazon.com : Redington Sonic Pro Stocking Foot Wader : Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31nS4EGwVXL.@@AMEPARAM@@31nS4EGwVXL[/ame]

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
Spend the extra $30 and get the Orvis Silversonic. I have owned the Redington Sonic waders and I did like them, but the Orvis are the best I have ever owned. I own the convertibles and the zips, my girlfriend and a lot of my friends own the convertibles. I have literally slid down mountains, climbed and slid down trees and all kinds of other stuff waders shouldn't be put through and they don't show any signs of the abuse.

darkshadow

Reaction score
I just picked up some Patagonia's Rio Gallegos on sale from STP and after using one of their 35% off coupons, it came out to be a bit around $225, after regularly priced at $500.

And so far, they are fantastic, and very comfortable.

jor fly

Reaction score
What about the Orvis encounters? I will save up for the silver sonics if need be, but can I get by with the encounters?

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
I'm EXTREMELY happy with my FroggTogg Breathable Hellbender chest waders, pants, wading jacket and rubber hip boots. The most expensive was <$100 from waderusa.

B.E.F.

photoguy

Reaction score
I'm on year 3 of my Orvis silver Sonics...the zippered front. They still look new despite having put up with a fair amount of abuse. And I've said this before, but when it's time to 'go' the zipper really makes it easy!
My son uses the convertibles and likes the fact that he can roll them down easily when it's warm (and I unzip when it gets hot).

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I am sure the encounter is a good wader, but every hole in a sewn wader is a potential place to leak down the road. I think long term the Silver Sonics are a better value as I know they can take a beating.

I guess it depends on how much you fish though, I fish more days than not so for me the more expensive waders are worth it.

flyfishmich

Reaction score
Redington Sonic pro. 299 - $50 mail in visa gift card rebate gets you pro level waders at $250.

I work in a shop. 2 of our guides wear them on the water everyday. They love them. All day comfort. waterproof and breathable.

runningfish

Reaction score
One last reply if you don't mind.

+5 Orvis Silver Sonic (no front zipper) going on 3 years and they look like new. I just recently picked up Patagonia Gunnison Gorge Pants for $149 at moosejaw. Had them on first time for 5 hours they were great.

J

james w 3 3

What about the Orvis encounters? I will save up for the silver sonics if need be, but can I get by with the encounters?
Those were my first waders, and after three years of falling, tripping, etc etc etc they were still good as new. The only reason I sold them was a crazy deal on a zip front.

You bet you can get by with them!!! Great fit, and that's a big deal to me.

fisherman209

Reaction score
Wow, I thought there would be more Simms lovers on this thread. I guess I'll be the odd guy out and vote for the Simms. I may be bias, because I love Simms and that is all I wear on the water. I don't doubt that all of the other brands mentioned on here are also good gear. You are getting feedback from very experience people who have put their gear through the test.

I just wanted to give my two cents on Simms. If you happen to get a wild hair and go with the Simms, don't get the Freestone model. That particular model is not USA made. If you decide to go with Simms, get the next one up and get the Headwater model or the G3 model if you have the cash. I have the G3 model and they are the best waders I have owned. Lifetime warranty, USA made, and I have had great success with the customer service at Simms.

Good Luck!

ten_fiver

Reaction score
Wow, I thought there would be more Simms lovers on this thread. I guess I'll be the odd guy out and vote for the Simms. I may be bias, because I love Simms and that is all I wear on the water. I don't doubt that all of the other brands mentioned on here are also good gear. You are getting feedback from very experience people who have put their gear through the test.

I just wanted to give my two cents on Simms. If you happen to get a wild hair and go with the Simms, don't get the Freestone model. That particular model is not USA made. If you decide to go with Simms, get the next one up and get the Headwater model or the G3 model if you have the cash. I have the G3 model and they are the best waders I have owned. Lifetime warranty, USA made, and I have had great success with the customer service at Simms.

Good Luck!
I don't think anybody here has anything against Simms, but, as you said, Simms has a definite price point limitation. With the indicated budget in the original post, it rules most of Simms' products out.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Jor, I sympathize with your situation. I know exactly where you are coming from as I was just in the same boat. I ended up with the Orvis Silver Sonics, but I was able to get them cheap since I had some rewards points on my Orvis credit card I use for work. Now that I have them, I think I would have gladly spent full price on them, even with my more limited budget.

If there is any way you could swing the cost, I would say go for it. If not, I think going with some Cabela's waders wouldn't be a bad bet. You could get them for much cheaper, and Cabela's warranty is pretty good so you would be covered in case of any failures.

ptarmigan

Reaction score
LLBean has their Kennebec wader that is far improved over previous models they have put out. I think they run about $250 and you certainly can't beat Beans return policy. I've always been a Simms G3 guy because they can take a serious beating, but they are getting a bit crazy with the pricing.

darkshadow

Reaction score
I don't think anybody here has anything against Simms, but, as you said, Simms has a definite price point limitation. With the indicated budget in the original post, it rules most of Simms' products out.
And quite simply, that's why I'm rocking the Rio Gallegos now, considering the amazing discount I got on them. I've never used Patagonia's exchange policy, but from I hear, it's not that bad.

Now, I'm sure that the Simms waders in the same price point are great, but unfortunately, they never go on sale. Imagine a G3 Guide going for under $250?! I'd pull the trigger immediately....unfortunately, we rarely see a huge discount on Simms products.

fisherman209

Reaction score
And quite simply, that's why I'm rocking the Rio Gallegos now, considering the amazing discount I got on them. I've never used Patagonia's exchange policy, but from I hear, it's not that bad.

Now, I'm sure that the Simms waders in the same price point are great, but unfortunately, they never go on sale. Imagine a G3 Guide going for under $250?! I'd pull the trigger immediately....unfortunately, we rarely see a huge discount on Simms products.

Hey, I hear you on the price! I just took advantage of the Bass Pro Shops 6 pay plan m. It's a promotion they run a few times a year. Paid for the G3's over a six month period to make it easier.