The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nets: Is there a "best style" ? Like asking for an average size bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Larry, I use the exact net that you see posted above you by michaeln. It is everything he says and the optional rubber bag does not entangle hooks, although the nylon bag that comes with the original net does. I like the extendable handle on this particular net especially when I'm in my pontoon. And, it is less expensive than most quality nets on the market, yet it is quality built.

Kelly.
Kelly: Thanks, I didn't realize they had an optional rubber bag. I really like the tape measure feature, but wasn't thrilled about going back to a net that entangle hooks. The last couple years, I've really gotten spoiled with using a rubber bag, I might have to buy one. Thanks!

Larry
Old 08-19-2010, 02:46 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nets: Is there a "best style" ? Like asking for an average size bolt.

Larry, et al., unfortunately the new nets don't come with the rubber bag when purchased new; you have to go to their web site to order one Fishing Nets - Fly Fishing Landing Net - Catch and Release Fishing Nets - The Measure Net™ | Montana Reels by Jeff Abel . That could essentially increase the cost, but I'm waiting for the current nylon bag to wear out before I get a rubber one. My son lost my last Measure Net with the rubber bag in the Box Canyon of the Henry's Fork last year and I replaced it with my current net. The rubber bags are also designed to fit other net manufacturer bows, but you have to get the right measurements.

kelly.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I didn't read everthing here, but I have two of the knottless bag nets and hate the way flies tangle in there. Here is where the cool part at least to me comes in. I decided to go to measure nets web site one day. I googled it and discovered that even though I have never seen them in any fly shops I've visited Measure net's website sells just the bags in either rubber or knotless. My favorite net is one of those I think its called tear drop shapes it is 40" diameter and measure net sells a replace net that is 40" I beleive the rubber bags are $17. So next month I'm going to purchase a rubber measure net bag remove the knotless bag from my beautiful and expensive wooden net and zip on the new bag that way I get a rubber bag that flies won't tangle in and the ability to easily measure my fish without ever taking them out of water.

If I had it to do over again I would have just bought a wood net with a rubber bag in the beginning. I don't like the metal measure frames. For me the classic wooden frame is just all part of fly fishing. Matter of fact the local club I'm joining next month I believe offers a net building class and I plan on taking it to learn how to build my own.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Many years ago I also had a few issues getting flies caught in knotless mesh nets, until I went to fishing only with barbless hooks, or at least crushing the barb on any barbed hook. My experience is that if you fish only barbless, the flies never get caught in a nylon mesh net for more than a few seconds and they are really easy to remove.

I do agree that rubber nets tend to have less tangling that other types of nets, but since I hang my net on my back, I really prefer the much lighter weight of a knotless mesh net vs. any of the rubber bags. From a boat is another story - there I much prefer a rubber bag on a boat net.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I use a double nymph rig often & I used to use a cloth catch & release net & the other fly used to get caught in the net every so often so I picked up one of those rubber mesh nets in Cabella's & haven't had that problem with it.
I was out on the Big Horn a few weeks ago & I had forgotten my net so when I got there I picked up one of those measure nets with the small mesh & it was a mistake.. The water was really ripping & when I was wade fishing I put the net in the water to land a fish & the current would really grab hold of it & make it hard to use. I ended up keeping it in the boat & just grabbing the fish with wet hands or bringing it over to the shallows, It worked ok in the boat..........

Good Luck

Neil
Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I've got one of those Scandinavian-made telescopic collapsible nets (see image below of what looks identical from Cabala's). However, since the original netting seemed to be knotted nylon, which not only is tough on trout but also badly snares the dropper rigs I use a lot, I first replaced the net with a black rubber replacement net from Cabela's. The net fit and worked fine, but since I use it for wading and it was very heavy, I next obtained one of Brolin's ghost replacement nets in the appropriate size. What an improvement! The replacement ghost net was way lighter than the black rubber, yet works as well as the black rubber for eliminating fly snags, etc.

I find this net to be amazingly light for how long it telescopes plus what had to be extra weight for the folding mechanism. Although I usually unfold the net and telescope it out to the length I think I'll need (usually max since I fish with long leaders), it can be unfolded with one hand after a bit of practice if I've forgotten to unfold it earlier. In addition, I find the Quick Seine net for seining up insect life to fit quite well on it in its fold-up pouch, ready for quick deployment by being stretched over the net when needed and easy to fold up in its storage pouch when not (see second image below following net).
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxm View Post
As a newbie I need to get one, but all the shapes, sizes, lengths and construction has me frozen with indecision making. From inexpensive metal nets to those of beautiful woods and rubber nets. I know for my kayak I'll need a long handle. But for general use is there an "average" or "the best to use" net. I probably will not be catching large salmon, that I can say with a degree of confidence.

Some links to make your eyes glaze over.

Wachter Landing Nets - Handmade Landing Nets for Fly Fishing

Landing Net Styles

Fly Fishing Nets

Brodin Fly Fishing Nets for Trout & Steelhead

Fly Fishing Net / Brodin Catch & Release Ghost Rubber Net -- Orvis

Fly Fishing Landing Net / Orvis Classic Landing Net -- Orvis
Are you stillwater fishing, or stream/river fishing?
Old 08-21-2010, 01:43 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Kelly: Thanks, I didn't realize they had an optional rubber bag. I really like the tape measure feature, but wasn't thrilled about going back to a net that entangle hooks. The last couple years, I've really gotten spoiled with using a rubber bag, I might have to buy one. Thanks!

Larry
I am a convert to Rubber Nets!! (did this last year) They don't hang hooks up and if you fish doubles nets can make your fun not so fun.

I find now I net more fish and release quicker than ever before.

Ditto's on the Cabela's clear net. It is heavy, but it is rubber.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Are you stillwater fishing, or stream/river fishing?

Primarily, and mostly, lake, but I do get to river and stream when I can
Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Ok... so now I have thought about this for a week...

Do we really believe the "Clear" rubber nets are that much better? In what I have found the clear nets are quite a bit heavier than black rubber ones.

Matter of fact (because of this thread) I actually picked a black bag that is twice the size of my clear Cabela's net for a Belly Boat net I have wanted to change out. Bass Pro had it and it is light weight by I bet 1/2.

I don't know if clear is all about the marketing and theory of the fish spook less. I can't really say.

I still swear by them for fishing doubles and little midges.

CritterGetter