The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Nets: Is there a "best style" ? Like asking for an average size bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
Do we really believe the "Clear" rubber nets are that much better?
Having owned and sold a Brodin Ghost, I sure don't.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nets: Is there a "best style" ? Like asking for an average size bolt.

Quote:
. . . In what I have found the clear nets are quite a bit heavier than black rubber ones. . . .
Crittergetter, I agree with you on a lot of things, but not here. I don't know what kind of clear nets Cabala's sells, but I can say for a fact that I had a Cabala's black rubber replacement net which weighed a ton. I replaced it with a Brodin Ghost replacement net, which at most weighed a third of the Cabela's black rubber netting. I doubt the Brodin Ghost netting weighs any more than the original knotted nylon (I guess) netting the net came with.

If anyone doubts me, I'll weigh the two of them and report back.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:33 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Crittergetter, I agree with you on a lot of things, but not here. I don't know what kind of clear nets Cabala's sells, but I can say for a fact that I had a Cabala's black rubber replacement net which weighed a ton. I replaced it with a Brodin Ghost replacement net, which at most weighed a third of the Cabela's black rubber netting. I doubt the Brodin Ghost netting weighs any more than the original knotted nylon (I guess) netting the net came with.

If anyone doubts me, I'll weigh the two of them and report back.
I guess I got what I payed for. I was disappointed in the weight after I purchased the clear Cabelas net and went fishing. The black rubber nets I have seen are thinner and lighter. I will give the Brodin Ghost a looksee. I have a trip to St. Louis planned in a couple of weeks and hopefully FeatherCraft will have them. I like the theory of clear nets. But I like the function of rubber and light weight. As hoaky as it sounds the old aluminum frame net with a rubber bag is really light weight. It just isn't a GQ moment. But I am not MR. GQ especially after 2 day's of fishing and camping out.

Thanks for the input.

I have seen the net Fly2Fish showed in action. What a great design!!! I just want it rubberized not cloth or nylon.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Nets are bad luck
This is the first time I read this thread. I started not carrying a net because of what Paul wrote in his post. That and over the years I just learned how to handle fish better. I've been managing since 1990 without carrying a net. I do own three, a Cascade (30+ years old) a Brodin (6" W X 12" L hoop) 20" total length, and a long handled no name net with a C&R bag for big trout, (about a yard long) I'm tall so the long handle was handy. Now they all sit in the corner and I still catch fish.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-25-2010, 12:29 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Crittergetter,

Here's a link to the part of the Brodin website I went to in order to get a replacement net for that triangular collapsible folding net I imaged in an earlier post: Ghost Bags. While it added about half as much again to the original cost of the net (also imaged earlier from a similar net shown by Cabela's, but of Norwegian make & bought @ good ole' Dornen's in Moose, WY), it's been a great net as modified. Keep in mind that this net is aluminum and light, especially when coupled with the Brodin Ghost net, which BTW is PVC and just as fish & hook friendly as rubber, only much lighter. The lightness is particularly appreciated when its telescoping shaft is fully extended, which is often the case for me when fishing with long leaders. Since I mostly wade-fish, a nimble net is a great aid for me. Like I suspect you feel, while I admire the beautiful "GQ"-quality rare-wood nets, I don't like their weight, and I appreciate the flexibility of a telescoping collapsible lightweight aluminum net.

Quote:
I guess I got what I payed for. I was disappointed in the weight after I purchased the clear Cabelas net and went fishing. The black rubber nets I have seen are thinner and lighter. I will give the Brodin Ghost a looksee. I have a trip to St. Louis planned in a couple of weeks and hopefully FeatherCraft will have them. I like the theory of clear nets. But I like the function of rubber and light weight. As hoaky as it sounds the old aluminum frame net with a rubber bag is really light weight. It just isn't a GQ moment. But I am not MR. GQ especially after 2 day's of fishing and camping out.

Thanks for the input.

I have seen the net Fly2Fish showed in action. What a great design!!! I just want it rubberized not cloth or nylon.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 AM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Thanks for the input.

Get the brodin Ghost net!! Not only will you see that it is lighter, but the netting is practically invisible under water!! The fish won't see the netting and will just calmly swim right into the net since it is invisible!! It is like magic!!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:56 AM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the great thread-responses. Much appreciated.

I have held the large Orvis/Bodin ghost net and it is quite comfortable and reasonably light. But at $125, it does become a bit of an art object as well as a fishing net.

Gentlemanly sports always seem to require a gentleman's trust fund. Oh well, it would last a long, long time, and it's pretty.

I look forward to more input.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:54 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

FLY2Fish's method (which I am now getting) is to purchase a Cabela's net at $19 to $22 (on sale now) and order the Brodin bag $23 to $25

Bingo you are under $50 bucks... Instead of my redneck non GQ net that I have cobbled together I can at least look stylish on stream. I just need to figure out what to do with the DooRag and Wifebeater shirt!!!

That folding expanding net is great. I watched it in use by somebody catching fish on an aprin of a dam where they had to reach far. When they released the fish it folded back and out of the way.