The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 04:34 PM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about
Default Nets: Is there a "best style" ? Like asking for an average size bolt.

As a newbie I need to get one, but all the shapes, sizes, lengths and construction has me frozen with indecision making. From inexpensive metal nets to those of beautiful woods and rubber nets. I know for my kayak I'll need a long handle. But for general use is there an "average" or "the best to use" net. I probably will not be catching large salmon, that I can say with a degree of confidence.

Some links to make your eyes glaze over.

Wachter Landing Nets - Handmade Landing Nets for Fly Fishing

Landing Net Styles

Fly Fishing Nets

Brodin Fly Fishing Nets for Trout & Steelhead

Fly Fishing Net / Brodin Catch & Release Ghost Rubber Net -- Orvis

Fly Fishing Landing Net / Orvis Classic Landing Net -- Orvis
Old 08-11-2010, 04:50 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nets: Is there a "best style" ? Like asking for an average size bolt.

I have used the MeasureNet for the past 10 years now. Wouldn't have another.

Kelly.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:04 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Nets: Is there a "best style" ? Like asking for an average size bolt.

I've been fielding a Brodin float tube/pan, ghost net.
Clear net doesn't spook'em so much, is fish friendly, light weight, and has a slightly longer handle for switch rod users, or tubing.
Plantation teak.
Hoop is 18", but no wider than my shoulders. Nice for walking through bushes.
I use the larger gear retractor. on my vest back.
The fish will thank you.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 08-19-2010, 01:43 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I have used many nets over the years, and I am currently using a Wolf Moon net (Oxbow model): Wolf Moon Nets

Before I bought my current net I tried a couple of the "clear" nets. The one sold by Cabelas is very heavy, much heavier than the Brodin nets.
I also tried the Brodin nets and did not care for them for 3 reasons, 1) the net is rather stiff, e.g. - the actual netting is somewhat rigid and less flexible than a regular rubber net, and MUCH less flexible than a knotless mesh net; 2) the Brodin nets are really expensive, and 3) the Brodin net is lighter than a regular rubber net, but is much heavier than any knotless mesh net.

Additionally, (this is where I disagree with Jim) the Brodin sales pitch that the fish do not see the net as much as a black net was not what I experienced - in fact, I saw no difference in fish reaction between the Brodin "clear" (actually opaque or translucent) net and a black mesh net. I guess I have to ask do we think the fish doesn't see opaque netting 3/16" in diameter, when this is the same fish we worry about seeing the difference between 5X or 6X tippet? Not to mention the wood frame of the net - regardless, if you get the fish's head up a bit as it comes to the net, they should not see much of the net until it is too late.

Just my opinion based on a couple of days trying a Brodin ghost net, I felt that the Brodin nets did not offer significant added value for a pretty significant added cost.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:20 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I use a wooden one with a cloth net, kind of like the Classic in your links. Well, the cloth net has a seam that runs down the middle of it.

I never thought anything of it until the other day when I caught a smallie and brought him to net. He then spit the fly out in the net and wiggled around, somehow managing to get the fly twisted around and snagged in the seam of the net.

It took me 15 minutes to get that damn fly out of the net, and I still have no idea how I actually did it.

So I would stay away from nets with seams if you could help it.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 08-19-2010, 09:25 AM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

I use the collapsible long handle Measure Net. It's light, it floats, the foam grip is secure in my hand even when wet or slimy. It measures the fish automatically. I have the optional rubber-coated bag on mine and flies never stick in it.

Add to all that the fact that it's cheap, and I think it's my favorite net ever.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
I have used the MeasureNet for the past 10 years now. Wouldn't have another.

Kelly.
Kelly: I have been using a rubber net for the past couple years, the one thing I really like about it is the fact the fly doesn't get entangled in the net like my old cloth nets used to do and I have been wondering about the MeasureNet. Does the flies get entangled in the MeasureNet?

Larry
Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Kelly: I have been using a rubber net for the past couple years, the one thing I really like about it is the fact the fly doesn't get entangled in the net like my old cloth nets used to do and I have been wondering about the MeasureNet. Does the flies get entangled in the MeasureNet?

Larry
Larry, I use the exact net that you see posted above you by michaeln. It is everything he says and the optional rubber bag does not entangle hooks, although the nylon bag that comes with the original net does. I like the extendable handle on this particular net especially when I'm in my pontoon. And, it is less expensive than most quality nets on the market, yet it is quality built.

Kelly.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:32 AM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Just my opinion based on a couple of days trying a Brodin ghost net, I felt that the Brodin nets did not offer significant added value for a pretty significant added cost.
I owned a Brodin Ghost Frying Pan Float Tube net and agree with you. Way expensive (enough that you worry about banging it around and damaging the finish), heavy, slippery handle, and I don't buy the part about the invisibility of the net bag.

I'm very pleased with the Measure Net I now use.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Nets are bad luck