What kind of knife do you carry while on the river?

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
All sorts, some with a raft of tools, available but I'm still using an old high carbon steel Boy Scout knife. Can dull pretty quick but you can put a razor's edge on the thing. I like that!

Need to 'hone' the thing? Just pick up a beach rock is about all you need. I've seen belt carriers that have a small pocket for a 'hone,' that sounds like a good idea.

fae

ia_trouter

Reaction score
A Benchmade I brought back from the war with an auto opening blade around 5". Serrated portion on the blade and tough as hell. I know zero about knives but it seems like a pretty decent one.

geordie41

Reaction score
Just a small (6inch) but good quality pocket knife I've had for years ,interestingly ive never needed to use it on the water but it's one of the first things I make sure I have on any fishing trip . Figure that one out :D

lanyard

Reaction score
Unless hunting, I carry a cheap general purpose folder everywhere I go.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Just a small (6inch) but good quality pocket knife I've had for years ,interestingly ive never needed to use it on the water but it's one of the first things I make sure I have on any fishing trip . Figure that one out :D
No Geordie, that's not a knife, this is a knife................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4

Just embrace it and don't spoil our badass outback Aussie stereotype. :)

steved53

Reaction score
Buck, spring assist, 3 1/2" blade, opens instantly with the flick of the finger. Hollow ground blade holds a great edge. Never leave home without it.

B

blackbugger

Benchmade 581 Barrage
Spring assisted, 3.6" blade

I love this thing. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear and it goes with me everywhere.

For the longest time I didn't carry a knife in my pocket because it was just one more thing loading down my pockets. I had never used a clip and when I got this knife I planned to have it for camping and river trips never expecting to carry it everyday.
I was amazed to discover that by clipping it into the corner of my pocket I wouldn't even be able to notice it was there, even when sitting down.
Now I never leave the house without it and I've been wearing it for 3 years or so.

I can't believe it took me that long to figure out about knives with clips. :rolleyes:

herchammer

Reaction score
Like ia_trouter, I carry a Benchmade spring assist that I brought home from the war. It's tough as nails and sharpens nicely. It goes in my ankle pocket while I'm working or flying, and clips into my sling pack when I'm on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodteague

Reaction score
EDIT As Promised, here are actual pics of the knives that accompany me while on the river

Left to Right: Leatherman PST II; Benchmade Mini AFCK; OKC 498 USN/USMC MK 2 Combat knife; Leatherman PST

The PST II and the "black" AFCK stay in my Goldeneye vest in the top left, inside front pocket next to a Streamlight Stylus Pro (90 lumen) pen light. If I'm wearing jeans or BDU's under my waders I'll have another "stainless" AFCK clipped in my pocket thats my EDC knife. The OKC 498 MK 2, bundled PST and Spec-Ops sheath, stay attached to my med ALICE ruck that comes with me on every trip I take away from home.;)

Regards

Rod

Last edited:

myt1

Reaction score

The top knife in the picture is my everyday carry Benchmade. It is pretty much with me all the time. We just returned from a short weekend trip flying back east and we carried our baggage on the plane; which meant I couldn't bring my knife. I was amazed how much I missed it.

I also agree with blackbugger: with the pocket clip you don't even know you are carrying it.

The second knife is my "fishing knife". It is a Randal Made Knife and I'm embarrassed to say it cost more than most of my fishing gear. Not only that, but I hardly use it for anything. At least when I first started fishing I would use it to cut my flies out of trees, but lately I haven't been doing that as much as I used to. If I ever lose that thing while fishing I'll be broken-hearted.

Last edited:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I went with 3" blade which is good enough for use as a tool and I've field dressed deer and game. Also a cop said that in Minnesota any folding knife with a blade longer than 3" is a concealed weapon. Which may or may not be true, but I like the size, and the clip. I use it everyday for something.
Varies widely from state to state. 4" is legal in MN, 5" in Iowa. If it's a weapon and not a tool (stilletto or dagger for example), it gets even more confusing. It can matter if it is concealed or open carried depending on what state you are in. A sharpened butter knife legally becomes a weapon the moment it is used as such. As it should of course.