Why Do Grown Men Go Out in Public Looking Like This?

lanyard

Reaction score
Someone gave me this head underwear, which, if a trout saw me, would probably paralyze it in fear. Would just have to be downstream so I could scoop it up as it floats by. :) Probably would scare the dog, also.

Protection from the elements? Seems pretty flimsy.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I actually like the camo patterns better, but that's just me! :D

It's a law in SC I believe, males 16 years & older have to wear some type of camo, optional for women & kids under 16. :rolleyes:

I never wore the Buff's much in small, freshwater areas, but really like them on bigger, open water. It's amazing how much Sun is reflected off the water.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I think if I was fishing the salt in Florida, this pale northerner would be dressed exactly like that. Even our tans are nothing like the sun belt residents.

I haven't seen anyone wearing that stuff up here yet.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
SPF face masks are "in" and a great idea, that sun is intense plus off the water reflection double the effect. My wife wears them but I feel a little claustrophobic doing so, so I don't. I do wear a long billed hat with a removable long sunshade covering my ears and neck plus I grow in my beard during fishing season, winds up being a three season long growth. And I slather with broad spectrum sun gook too. I have taken to wearing long pants instead of shorts which I prefer on the flats but I must say that even sans Buff, I'm sure I still look a sight out on the water.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Why wear that thing? Because it looks a lot better than wearing this!
Gruesome yes, but maybe some of you young bucks should see what can happen if you don't use some type of sun block.

Dave

lanyard

Reaction score
Why wear that thing? Because it looks a lot better than wearing this!
Gruesome yes, but maybe some of you young bucks should see what can happen if you don't use some type of sun block.

Dave
There is sunscreen. I'm not sure the one I have is even SPF rated.

silver creek

Reaction score
I use insulated balaclavas in winter for snow blowing and the sunblock type when fishing. BTW, I bet that fellow had a malignant melanoma with that wide and deep an excision.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
They have a ton of different uses. It doesn't have to go up the face.
I like to keep one around my neck in the summer. Nevada summers in the desert get a bit warmer than other parts of the country. Dip that shield in the water, keep it around your neck, and its like your own personal little ac for a few hours. Once it warms up, repeat.
They make good wind stoppers when it gets cold, too.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
There was an earlier version that oddly did not work out so well:

Never the less there are less expensive alternatives so that you do not have to feel hemmed in by the expensive fishing manufacturers.
Take this 1,000 S.P.F. alternative as an example:

B.E.F.