The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/3720-reels.html)

FISHN50 03-30-2008 08:33 PM

Reels

A recent poll asked how many rods everyone has & I was wondering how many reels you all have & are they matched to a rod or how many reels / rod do you have. I was just going thru my stuff & realized I have 18 flyrods of different wts. & 8 flyreels in working order. thats about 2 to 1.... Is that an average ratio?

Davo 03-30-2008 08:40 PM

Re: Reels

I have six rod and six reels. All ready to go on a moments notice!! LOL.

tmart24 03-30-2008 09:49 PM

I am fairly new to the sport, but I fish in several different places in different scenarios. I have 4 rods: two 4 wt's, a 6 wt, and a 9 wt. As for reels, I have 5 loaded with 4wt floating, 4 wt sinking, 5 wt, 6 wt, and 9 wt. The 5 wt is so I can overload my 4wt if need be. The next think I want is a 7 foot 2wt.

Frank Whiton 03-31-2008 09:36 AM

Hi FISHN50,

I am a big believer in buying very good reels with good drags and multiple spools. For fresh water and occasional saltwater fishing a reel that handles 4-5-6 weight lines and a second reel that handles 7-8-9 weight lines will do a pretty good job for Trout, warm water, Steelhead, Salmon, Stripers and flats saltwater. If you are someone who has to have a 3wt and below rods then a light weight reel for these rods would be needed. You can stretch the use of the 4-5-6/7-8-9 reels by using Gel Spun backing. With these two reel sizes you can fish a wide range of rods and lines using additional spools.

This doesn't work with a guide as he needs a reel on every rod. A die-hard Salt water fisher will want to have more than one rod set up and ready to go. For the rest of us these two reel sizes will work quite well for a large range of fishing.

Frank

Joe D 03-31-2008 10:23 AM

I agree with Frank, extra spools add to the versatility of a reel. I have too many reels when I consider that I only use the same 5 or 6, and could easily get by with 3 or 4 of them, which would still cover a broad spectrum of fish and conditions.

For someone who's just compiling their arsenal, or anyone who wants to add another reel to their collection, Orvis is including a free extra spool with their Battenkill Mid Arbor and Battenkill Bar Stock Reels for the month of April.

tie one on 03-31-2008 10:32 AM

I have 5 fly rods : 3, 4, 5, 7 & 9 weights.

Each rod has it's own specific reel, except my 10' 7wt steelhead
rod that has an extra spool which is loaded with a sink tip flyline.
I always have bought good rods & reels with good warranties.

Tie One On

axle27 03-31-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe D (Post 24904)
I agree with Frank, extra spools add to the versatility of a reel. I have too many reels when I consider that I only use the same 5 or 6, and could easily get by with 3 or 4 of them, which would still cover a broad spectrum of fish and conditions.

For someone who's just compiling their arsenal, or anyone who wants to add another reel to their collection, Orvis is including a free extra spool with their Battenkill Mid Arbor and Battenkill Bar Stock Reels for the month of April.

Damn, that really screws up my logic on purchasing my first reel. I was going with the Hobbs Creek. I don't even know enough to know what I don't know, but I want a reel that I can keep and use for years. I don't mind spending the extra money. I really like the look of those reels......decisions, decisions.

trout champ 03-31-2008 10:56 PM

I have three rods (4, 5, and 6/7) and they each have their own reels. But I usually only use my 4 and 5. I've never really thought about adding any extra spools though. I suppose I should take a look and see what I can do.

Randy

tmart24 04-01-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axle27 (Post 24907)
Damn, that really screws up my logic on purchasing my first reel. I was going with the Hobbs Creek. I don't even know enough to know what I don't know, but I want a reel that I can keep and use for years. I don't mind spending the extra money. I really like the look of those reels......decisions, decisions.

I have a Battenkill mid arbor. It's a great reel. You won't regret spending the extra bucks over a Hobbs Creek.

axle27 04-01-2008 12:15 PM

Would you rate it better than a Lamson Radius? or a Pflueger Trion?