The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 08:33 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Reels

A recent poll asked how many rods everyone has & I was wondering how many reels you all have & are they matched to a rod or how many reels / rod do you have. I was just going thru my stuff & realized I have 18 flyrods of different wts. & 8 flyreels in working order. thats about 2 to 1.... Is that an average ratio?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Reels

I have six rod and six reels. All ready to go on a moments notice!! LOL.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-30-2008, 09:49 PM

tmart24 is on a distinguished road

I am fairly new to the sport, but I fish in several different places in different scenarios. I have 4 rods: two 4 wt's, a 6 wt, and a 9 wt. As for reels, I have 5 loaded with 4wt floating, 4 wt sinking, 5 wt, 6 wt, and 9 wt. The 5 wt is so I can overload my 4wt if need be. The next think I want is a 7 foot 2wt.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FISHN50,

I am a big believer in buying very good reels with good drags and multiple spools. For fresh water and occasional saltwater fishing a reel that handles 4-5-6 weight lines and a second reel that handles 7-8-9 weight lines will do a pretty good job for Trout, warm water, Steelhead, Salmon, Stripers and flats saltwater. If you are someone who has to have a 3wt and below rods then a light weight reel for these rods would be needed. You can stretch the use of the 4-5-6/7-8-9 reels by using Gel Spun backing. With these two reel sizes you can fish a wide range of rods and lines using additional spools.

This doesn't work with a guide as he needs a reel on every rod. A die-hard Salt water fisher will want to have more than one rod set up and ready to go. For the rest of us these two reel sizes will work quite well for a large range of fishing.

Frank
Old 03-31-2008, 10:23 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

I agree with Frank, extra spools add to the versatility of a reel. I have too many reels when I consider that I only use the same 5 or 6, and could easily get by with 3 or 4 of them, which would still cover a broad spectrum of fish and conditions.

For someone who's just compiling their arsenal, or anyone who wants to add another reel to their collection, Orvis is including a free extra spool with their Battenkill Mid Arbor and Battenkill Bar Stock Reels for the month of April.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I have 5 fly rods : 3, 4, 5, 7 & 9 weights.

Each rod has it's own specific reel, except my 10' 7wt steelhead
rod that has an extra spool which is loaded with a sink tip flyline.
I always have bought good rods & reels with good warranties.

Tie One On
Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
I agree with Frank, extra spools add to the versatility of a reel. I have too many reels when I consider that I only use the same 5 or 6, and could easily get by with 3 or 4 of them, which would still cover a broad spectrum of fish and conditions.

For someone who's just compiling their arsenal, or anyone who wants to add another reel to their collection, Orvis is including a free extra spool with their Battenkill Mid Arbor and Battenkill Bar Stock Reels for the month of April.
Damn, that really screws up my logic on purchasing my first reel. I was going with the Hobbs Creek. I don't even know enough to know what I don't know, but I want a reel that I can keep and use for years. I don't mind spending the extra money. I really like the look of those reels......decisions, decisions.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I have three rods (4, 5, and 6/7) and they each have their own reels. But I usually only use my 4 and 5. I've never really thought about adding any extra spools though. I suppose I should take a look and see what I can do.

Randy
Old 04-01-2008, 12:08 PM

tmart24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Damn, that really screws up my logic on purchasing my first reel. I was going with the Hobbs Creek. I don't even know enough to know what I don't know, but I want a reel that I can keep and use for years. I don't mind spending the extra money. I really like the look of those reels......decisions, decisions.
I have a Battenkill mid arbor. It's a great reel. You won't regret spending the extra bucks over a Hobbs Creek.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Would you rate it better than a Lamson Radius? or a Pflueger Trion?