I have a minor dilemma, as far as dilemmas go…

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
I have been planning on hitting some Idaho waters for native wild cutthroats next week. Some of these bigger fish might go 18”-19” at the large end of the spectrum. These fish are caught in beautiful surroundings with not another human being for miles.

The same day, I have been invited on another Idaho trip where some of my buddies are catching HUGE fish. Cutthroat and Rainbows. I have been bombarded with emails and text of these beasts being caught. True monsters as far as Trout go… They make a 19” trout look like dink of fish.
So, the question is this. Do I chase smaller fish in beautiful solitude or do I chase truly HUGE Trout, most likely among other anglers.

Hopefully we will capture some great pictures that will tell the story of my decision. Either way, the outcome will hopefully end with a fish attached to the end of my line… I know what you are thinking, as far as dilemmas go, not such a bad one.

Hope you all enjoy the weekend.

J

james w 3 3

Let's see . . .

Beautiful surroundings with not another person around. :D

Or something something something blah blah blah crowds of people. :(

Not a dilemma in my eyes.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Depends, I choose the solitude fishing 99.999% of the time. However if the hog hunt is something you would only get to do once a year or so and with good friends then I would choose the hog hunt. If the hogs are something you can go after whenever then go solitude fishing

cab

Reaction score
While fishing with friends is fun and all, I go fishing primarily to get away from people. And usually settle for 6-8" fish. Not a dilemma, IMO.

CAB

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
Whichever you choose....at some point you will probably be thinking you should have did the other.I would choose the solitude.Peace and quiet.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd take the solitude Mike. I've been fishing for steelhead for weeks and would love to have the chance to escape angling pressure. The only positive I have going for me is that I get into my own little world when I'm fishing and everyone kinda disappears. Yesterday wasn't bad, there were only 4 others on the river and it was good.

Go for the remote location buddy,

Ard

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Solitude!! Hogs are great, so don't get us wrong, but to have incredible scenery and no one around catching 19" fish isn't a bad thing. It's like you can stand in the middle of it all, soak it all in, take a deep breath and think, " it's all mine."

ryc72

Reaction score
I think I would go with whatever is the more unique opportunity to your fishing experiences. If you more often fish in solitude in beautiful surroundings then I would go for the hogs. If you frequently go fishing for big fish in more crowded spaces then I would go for the solitude.

plecain

Reaction score
Tough call.
Between the mountains of ME/NH (solitude; smaller fish) and some of the lowland streams (more people; bigger fish) I face a similar dilemma every time I go fishing.
I split my time between the two.
It looks like you can't do both.
I think I'd go for the big fish opportunity in this case. That would be different enough for me to prefer it.