The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree27Likes
  • 4 Post By brook rookie
  • 5 Post By dean_mt
  • 1 Post By GrtLksMarlin
  • 7 Post By dharkin
  • 7 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By el jefe
  • 1 Post By zug buggin
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 08:03 AM

brook rookie is a name known to allbrook rookie is a name known to allbrook rookie is a name known to allbrook rookie is a name known to allbrook rookie is a name known to allbrook rookie is a name known to all
Default Abel Nippers Dethroned

As we start a new year, many of us realize that much of the old order is going to be turned on its head. So it is with fly fishing also. I was given a a gift for Christmas that (in my mind) has completely put to rest the discussion of Abel nippers as the most over priced accessory product. The new King of Cost has to be the Smith Creek Net Holster.

For a mere $40.00 (USD) you get a flat, stamped piece of aluminum with three small rivets attached to a 3 - 4 inch piece of heavy nylon webbing. The webbing has velcro to allow for size adjustment. That's it.

You use the holster to position the net against your back, so it is out of the way, until you need it. But, if you do that, you must wear full length waders, otherwise, the water from the net basket will run down the back of your pants!

Smith Creek - Net Holster
Old 01-02-2017, 11:15 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abel Nippers Dethroned

I don't really care about the cost of the thing; what would be a reasonable price for this - $20?

Even at $10 I would say that it's an extraneous piece of "gear." It positions the net in the same location as if it were clipped to you vest, the way nets have been carried forever. Plus it doesn't have a safety lanyard. $40 would not be a lot if it gave me piece of mind that it will keep safe the $100+ net it is holding. Finally, it is attached to a wading belt. So if you don't like to hang your net, or your vest doesn't have a d-ring to do so, you can just stick the net handle behind your wading belt and against your back. This is what I usually do.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:25 PM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future

Personally, I don't see anything on the site that doesn't simply replace existing items that most fisherman already have with them. As to the net holder? Well, being that narrow, All I can see happening is the thing twisting my belt the second there is any slack in it, at which point it spins around, the net falls out, and everyone can get a good laugh watching me chase my net down the river.

If they must make this thing that is already accommodated for with a simple clip on the net like I use:

Click the image to open in full size.

Then they need to make it much wider... Then they can charge $100!

B.E.F.
hairwing530 likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:40 PM

dharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to beholddharkin is a splendid one to behold

I've seen the fish that Dean_Mt catches, he doesn't need a net.

Sorry John.

Happy New Year Buddy.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:46 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
I've seen the fish that Dean_Mt catches, he doesn't need a net.

Sorry John.

Happy New Year Buddy.
That's just mean

Dean has nothing on me for small fish catching. An aquarium net would be big for this guy.

And yes, it did take the flashback pheasant tail.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-02-2017, 03:09 PM

el jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
That's just mean

Dean has nothing on me for small fish catching. An aquarium net would be big for this guy.

And yes, it did take the flashback pheasant tail.

As my grandfather would say, "You're eyes are bigger than your belly!"
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:15 PM

zug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to beholdzug buggin is a splendid one to behold

I'll gladly pay the money. A few years ago I and a buddy were fishing a back country section of the Chattooga about 4 miles from a road crossing. I was bushwhacking up the bank when the net caught in the bushes and was stretched back to the extent of the elastic rope that had it tied on. Just as I turned to free it it slipped from the bushes. All I can remember about it I watched it fly towards me for what seemed like minutes then the symbol player slammed the symbol beside my ear I dont know how long I was there but when I opened my eyes my buddy was standing over me. I wont carry a net without the elastic cords being replaced on the net and magnetic coupler and that sometimes create problems of it own.
dean_mt likes this.
The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
Old 01-02-2017, 04:20 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Here's how I rig my net explained in the post below:

Fishpond Nomad Mid Length Net - how to carry

don_p likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy