The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 08:20 PM

scotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant future
Default lets look at it differently

Every now and then we get questions asking "what line for this rod?". And all of a sudden we get 100 different answers that will make a new fly fisher want to give their new rod away to some guy on a street corner and go home hanging their head.

Well, a friend of mine came up with a different point of view. He likes slower rods, and the line he only fishes with is Cortland 444 Classic Peach. He has found a line that works for his style.

So, instead of trying to find the right line for your new rod, find a line you like that works well for the action of rods you fish with and pick a rod for your line.

It seems easier to me to test different rods with one certain line, instead of trying out so many lines for one rod. Hmmmm?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:50 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lets look at it differently

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty macfly View Post
Every now and then we get questions asking "what line for this rod?". And all of a sudden we get 100 different answers that will make a new fly fisher want to give their new rod away to some guy on a street corner and go home hanging their head.

Well, a friend of mine came up with a different point of view. He likes slower rods, and the line he only fishes with is Cortland 444 Classic Peach. He has found a line that works for his style.

So, instead of trying to find the right line for your new rod, find a line you like that works well for the action of rods you fish with and pick a rod for your line.

It seems easier to me to test different rods with one certain line, instead of trying out so many lines for one rod. Hmmmm?
Reasonable perhaps if you only fish one rod action. That would not work for me. I don't desire the same rod action for all fly styles and species. I could make it work but I don't see any need to limit myself to a particular fly line taper.
rockriver and guest65 like this.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:51 PM

el jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to beholdel jefe is a splendid one to behold

I think your idea has a lot of merit, Scotty. I take a similar approach, only I have certain types of lines that I use on certain types of rods, since I have rods that have a variety of actions and uses.
hairwing530 and scotty macfly like this.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:56 PM

scotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Reasonable perhaps if you only fish one rod action. That would not work for me. I don't desire the same rod action for all fly styles and species. I could make it work but I don't see any need to limit myself to a particular fly line taper.
You could do it for any and all rod types.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:05 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to follow the same, maybe not for rod flex but for intended payload per rod

Big uglies = GPX
Dry fly rod = SA Mastery Trout or RIO Trout LT
all around rod = RIO Gold

As an example my 389-4 Circa loves SA Mastery Trout, but does fine with gold too. My 904-4 Z-axis loves shark wave trout taper but does pretty good for me with Trout LT or Rio gold

Since I have a plethora of 3 and 4wt rigs I get to choose by a bit of both rod and payload. Fortunately or unfortunately I have 3 and 4wt reels with all of the above lines except no 3wt GPX. This model would get out of hand financially if I had multiple 5,6,7 wt rods as well so it does have financial constraints

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-09-2017, 10:41 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You could do it for any and all rod types.
Perhaps I misunderstand the point. I use a 2WT and a 3WT medium action rod on small streams with a floating DT line. I suppose that DT line could work on my 5 and 7WT. On my fast 9WT I often use a sinktip streamer (about an 11WT) line for huge flies, sometimes a floating big bug line is appropriate. Nevermind my spey and switch rods. Not sure how one line taper does what I need, or even comes close.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:34 PM

O.k., for example, on my full flexing rods, quantity of 3, I like Cortland Peach or SA Ultra Heritage. No matter the rod weight.

On my medium action rod I like Airflo Elite.

On my med/fast rods I have 4, I like Airflo Xceed.

My fast rod I like Airflo River & Stream.

Now there are other lines I like, but these mentioned above are my favorite for these type of rods, so these are the lines I stick with. Got it?

So if I'm looking for a new rod, like a med/fast rod, I will take with me a line that I like for that action. So I may test out 4 different rods on the Xceed, instead of 20 lines on one rod.

If I were to test out full flexing rods, I take either my SA Ultra or my Cortland Peach or maybe both, and cast them.

Now, before someone makes the comment, I'll stop you now. I do take the correct line weight with me. If I'm testing 4wt rods I take 4wt line.

So sticking with my favorite line for a particular rod flex would make finding a rod that would work for me easier than trying different lines unless the sales person can help you narrow it down.

So I wouldn't recommend using SA Ultra Heritage on a Sage One. That line was not made for rods that fast. And I wouldn't use SA shark wave siege on a full flex rod. I know, it's extreme, but it's a good example.

That's how it would work. So say you're looking for a small stream 3wt rod. Whatever action/flex you prefer, take a line in that weight that you like that works well for that type of rod.

Or you can just use all around lines like Rio Gold or SA GPX.

I'm done.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:46 PM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light

What makes one line good with one action and another good with another action? Is it mainly the length and shape (weight distribution) of the head or front taper? Is there some other specification that makes a line better with one particular action?
hairwing530 and scotty macfly like this.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:14 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You are assuming that all similar rod action rods are indeed true to fly line weight. That is not the case.

Those who ask about fly lines for a particular rod are assuming the person who is giving the recommendation has a similar casting style to them and fishes at about the same distance they do. That is also not the case.

I actually do not choose a specific fly line for a specific fly rod. So I don't ask for or give advice on fly lines for a particular rod.

I buy lines on sale and got a deal on WF Cortland 444SLs years ago and I usee them for my for 4, 5, and 6 wt rods for 15 years. I used them with various models and wts of Sages, GLoomis, and Borger rods. Then last year I got a deal on a Rio Gold and replaced one of my 5 wt Cortland lines that had worn out. It fishes fine also.

I learned to fly fish before density compensated sinking lines so we uses level sinking lines so the lines would sink at the same rate rather than slower at the tips like the tapered sinking lines used to. We made our own shooting heads. I think I can use various lines and so far none has been so horrible that I find I can't use it. We thought the original Scientific Angler Air Cell was a great fly line. Now it is considered not only old but ancient technology but it was wonderful to us.

Maybe I've been lucky to not find a line that is horrible with the rods I've owned. But I think the next line I buy will also be one that is on closeout or on sale and I won't be asking if it is right for my rod before I buy it.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-10-2017, 02:11 AM

tcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant future

If I am buying a rod I always bring my own reels and lines to try out. Not only in the line weight of the rod I am planning to buy but, also 1 weight up and 1 weight down, at least one DT and several WF lines. I like to see how the rod reacts to different lines before I buy it. Also, I usually have a specific need in mind when I shop for a rod so the lines I bring are usually reflective of that need.

I also keep a spreadsheet of my rods and what lines work best using a scoring system of 1 to 10. Ten being best.

WARNING: I have been accused of over-analyizing my purchases before.

Regards,

Tim C.