The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 06:18 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Fly fishing watercraft

Does anyone else (especially moderators) feel like personal watercraft for fly fishing might warrant its own section? Maybe under gear? It might not, but maybe it would.

I do have a question. I am seriously considering buying a pontoon boat and am wondering what experience/pro's vs. con's, etc. the members of this forum have with pontoon boats.

SW has what they tell me is an outcast fishcat 9 foot pontoon that they sell under their name for 400 bucks. That seems like a great deal to me if indeed it is an Outcast just rebranded.

Any thoughts??
Old 03-31-2008, 06:34 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly fishing watercraft

I did consider a pontoon boat a while back before I bought my
Hyde drift boat. I researched one that would hold two to three
fisherman, not a single one. The cost was well within my range,
but when I discussed my future purchase with my local fly shop
guys (these guys are extremely knowledgeable & trustworthy)
they mentioned that on more open type/bigger rivers they are harder
to control. Being so light they said they are very vulnerable to
wind. Of course I'm sure others may have other thoughts & that's
whats great about this forum, open discussion & many opinions.
It never hurts to ask questions & get other opinions.

Tie One On
Old 03-31-2008, 06:43 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I have a friend that uses one on the salt river all the time. He thinks it great. Bought his out of Cabelas for like 900.00.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Dorian,

I don't know if we get enough boat questions to make another forum necessary. Lets see how it goes for a while.

Here is a link in the FAQ you may not have seen about personal pontoon boats. It may be useful to you.

My personal opinion about pontoon boats and drift boats is drift boats win hands down. The drift boat with care will have a longer useful life. A three man pontoon boat does not have enough rocker to make it as easy to spin turn like you can with a drift boat. Most large pontoon boats for two men place the rower in a position too far rearward. I think a properly designed raft with a rowing platform is a better choice than a pontoon boat in high class rapids. A large pontoon boat (3 man) is best used on a trailer and if you are going to use a trailer why not have a drift boat.

As a 1 man boat a pontoon boat is about as good as it gets for river fishing. Being able to control your position with flippers is a real asset. They are light weight and can be loaded and unloaded with out help. They will carry a ton of stuff and is my favorite way to river fish for trout.

Frank
Old 04-01-2008, 07:08 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

I think Frank pretty much hit the nail on the head. As a one man watercraft for fishing on rivers, ponds and lakes the pontoon gives you much more flexibility in put ins and take outs. The price on some decent pontoons is even less than some waders.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:41 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Thanks everyone. I do most of my fishing by myself and think a pontoon boat should work out well for me. Both from my own research and what some of you guys are saying.

Anyone have any experience/heard anything about the 400 dollar SW pontoon boat? It is a 9' and the SW guy said it was an Outcast 9'IR Fishcast. I hope he is right, I plan on calling Outcast soon to find out. If it is, it is a super deal and that is probably what I'll get.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Would a deflated pontoon and all that goes with it fit in a Yakama type cargo basket?
Thanks,
Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 AM

rlm3rd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDog View Post
Would a deflated pontoon and all that goes with it fit in a Yakama type cargo basket?
Thanks,
I believe so. I may not be thinking of the same thing you are, though.

www.basicflyfishing.net
Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FlyDog,

Yes, I also think it will fit. It has to do with how far it will break down and the style of the frame.

Frank
Old 04-02-2008, 10:36 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi FlyDog,

Yes, I also think it will fit. It has to do with how far it will break down and the style of the frame.

Frank
Hi Frank,

I'm looking at either the Fish Cat 9 or Streamer XL and they would need to go in a Yakama Mega Warior basket.

Thanks,