trout hunter tippet

fc1955

Reaction score
I'm looking to try trout hunter tippet material. I saw that it comes in half sizes does any one know why and have used it.
Thanks

jayr

Reaction score
It comes in half sizes in order to get a narrower range of thicknesses I would assume.

I have used it and like it a lot.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I won't buy anything else new simply because in the 1-2 years I've been using it I haven't had the dreaded rouge tippet spool fouling all my gear even once. And don't have to stand in the middle of the river playing with rubber bands.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

+1 for what Winston said above!!!

You can purchase it at Cutthroat Leaders (one of our sponsors).

https://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/shop/

I didn't know they sold it Larry, my next purchase of it will be from them. Thanks.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I was actually looking at that tippet shootout earlier today, completely unrelated to this thread. It reinforced that there is no reason for me to stray away from the Rio Powerflex that I've been using for as long as I can remember.

I think the only Trout Hunter half size is 5.5X. I've never used it but it seems like a gimmick to me.

Really, a half size between 5 and 6X? That's like a .001 of an inch! The strength increase from 5.5 to 6X is negligible. Just another spool of tippet to buy.

JDR

Reaction score
My only complaint (I know, first world problems!) with the Trout Hunter tippet is the rubber band that covers the tippet on the spool. If you somehow get a couple of feet of tippet off he spool, there is no way to put it back under the rubber band without removing the rubber band and then replacing it. I really like the way the spools fit together, but if you do that, there is no way to tell the size, unless you memorize the sizes that correspond to the different colored bands. It would be a BIG improvement if they would at least print the tippet size on the band. Minor problems, but sometimes maddening. Even so, it is the only brand I use now.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
It would be a BIG improvement if they would at least print the tippet size on the band. Minor problems, but sometimes maddening.
Never used trout hunter but saw this I decided to comment. The cheap (i believe White River) tippet I'm using doesn't come with markings, except on the sticker that has long fallen off, or a rubber band. I've been using the rubber bands off bunches of asparagus and I mark the rubber bands with a fine tip Sharpie to denote the size.

Two seconds and problem solved.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
I also use Trout Hunter exclusively. The tippet is crazy strong. You find that out after you get your fly stuck in branch on the other side of the river... (never happened to me, I overheard a guy talking about such a thing once). ;)

Larry was kind enough to mention our site. Here is the link.
https://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/product-category/accessories/

Use coupon code NFFF to save cash.

346xp

Reaction score
I use it,
4x, 4.5, 5,5.5,6.5 7x

The reason i have the multiples or half sizes is so if I run out of one I can use half size and still be close.

The guy that got me started regularly lands 20" wild fish on 7x-8x.

I know of a 28" Brown coming in on 8x with a 2 wt comp rod.

Trout hunter floro like most is knot specific, you just have to check your not and re tie after 10 fish or so or if you fight one against rocks, but that's any line at all.

It is rated strongest in independent test and if there is any that performs better for the money I don't know about it.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

As a follow up, they also sell really great tapered leaders and nylon tippet.

The 14 foot 4x is a great leader to use for high stick nymphing, just attach 2-3' of bi colored sighter, a tippet ring and whatever tippet you need. If you need 20'+ add 30# base material to suit your needs.

JDR

Reaction score
Yesterday I was doing a little fishing (not catching) and my fly decided to take a break and rest in a tree branch. While wading over to try and remove it I slipped on a rock and got a little wet. The water temp was 49 degrees (F) and the air was about 45 degrees, wind about 15 mph. I knew my day was over and it was time to go home. So, in frustration I pointed my rod tip toward the fly and then (with my hand) pulled on the leader, HARD. Sure enough the line came free. I didn't look at the leader/tippet since I had already decided I just wanted to leave and gave up on retrieving the fly. So, I reeled in the line and all of a sudden everything came to a stop. The fly was free and caught in my top guide! This was with 4X.
It is very strong tippet.

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
Here is the data from the 2012 tippet shootout. Stroft is the best nylon and Trouthunter's is the best Fluorocarbon for strength. Look under column 5 after the name for breaking strength. Best is in red.

NYLON

FLUOROCARBON

JoJer

Reaction score
For those of you who are tired of fighting with the rubber bands: This is a fix (I think) I saw in a magazine. Most of the materials I had sitting around, so they are not precisely what the originator of the idea suggested.
I used; Plastic 1/4" swamp cooler water line, 1/4" or 1/8" wide elastic (notions dept.) to fit the width of the spools, hot glue, shrink tubing.
The elastic is measured to fit snug on the spool and cut to size with a 1/2 " extra length which is hot glued to the sides of the cut pieces of tubing. The tubing is pre cut to length and heated with flame to get that curled end that makes a smooth entry and exit for the tippet. Once the hot glue cools, pull the shrink tubing over the plastic tubing and the ends of the elastic and shrink it.
Keep an inch or two of tippet outside the tubing and you can pull out the length you need and the elastic will slide around the spool as the spool turns.
Easy peasy.

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
Here is the article.

2012 Tippet Shootout - Fly Fisherman

If you read the article they used the $7125 machine below to test the tippet material:

Chatillon TCD Force Test Stand from Wagner Instruments Force Measurement

They also micro metered the tippet.

The Rio tippet measured slightly thinner than the X size and the Trout Hunters measured a bit thicker than the X size (see the third column in green). They used a micrometer borrowed from Trout Hunters to do the measurements according to the article.

I have no dog in the fight. Everyone is free to buy and use what they want.

J

james w 3 3

If you notice a very strong similarity between Trout Hunter and Seaguar Grand Max, there's a reason for that. ;)

No longer having a relationship with Kureha Chemical I now buy Trouthunter fluoro because of the better price/ft. :rolleyes: