The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:41 PM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about
Default Interesting "Finish" To An Albright Knot

Anyone ever see this before, and if so, does anyone use it?

Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Interesting "Finish" To An Albright Knot

I have it on one of my reels, but only because when I was first trying to learn how to do that knot I found that video.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jamieof,

I think it is appropriate to tie off the tag end but I think Lefty's way is easier, quicker and over all better. The method this video uses to tie the main knot may result with the knot slipping. Lefty is adamant that when you bring the tag end back through the loop you have to go back the way you came in. This video ties it with the tag end going the opposite direction.

Frank
Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 AM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
SNIP<<< Lefty is adamant that when you bring the tag end back through the loop you have to go back the way you came in. This video ties it with the tag end going the opposite direction.

Frank
Hi Frank.

I picked that up too. If that "finish" was tightened back to the fly line to prevent loosening and unravelling, I can see it maybe being useful. I was thinking I didn't really like the way that knot ended, but as a Noob, what do I know.

Jamie.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I bring the tag through the loop on the same side like Frank mentioned
Then I tie a two turn uni knot lock that tightens tight back to the standing line loop.
No slippage....and that's the point of the lock
The finish in this video looks to me to be nonproductive at best and it's only advantage is to counteract the mistake of not bringing the tag through the standing line loop the proper way
Old 10-14-2010, 02:36 PM

nedun is on a distinguished road

Which way in or out you wrap the Albright has little to do with the knot strength, it does affect the durability of the knot, with only one pass through at the end there is a real possibility that the tag end may slip out and lose the connection. Making some sort of additional tie to better secure the tag is advisable, the one shown is more complicated than my improvement to the Albright, I just pass the tag end through the end loop twice. This assures that if the tag end is trimmed very closely and it slips out the connection is still secure with the other pass through.