The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 PM

dgd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does line wt and rod wt HAVE to match?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
In reality, todays modern rods can throw 3 line weights with no problem. A 5w can use a 5 as suggested by the manufacturer, and 4 and 6w. Plus each rod has it's own love for a certain line- brand or taper. Once you find that it's all downhill from there.
This is an extreme exageration. I dare you to take a TFO Axiom, or a Sage TCR and try to underline it.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:33 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I Looked at the catalog, and it appears that this rod is a tip flex in both weights. If it were a mid flex I would say go for it, but the fact this is a fast rod, I would think same weight or even one heavier.
I think you will have to muscle that 7 wt line on the 8 wt rod. Personally, I would ask Orvis to change the line to an 8 and order the rod.
Hi Joni, I didn't see your post before I posted the same thing .

Mojo can take care of himself, but I'd agree that my less-than-stiff rods can
all cast one over or under their specified weights. In fact, I do that on
occassion. Lefty Kreh has an article floating around somewhere advocating
this, as do others. I would under/over line for a better reason than it's my only line, however.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as it has come out on the Wet Fly, I know Mojo. He is one of the smoothest casters I have met, but we are going to do an experiment tonight.
He cast med to slow action rods and for those I agree underlining is not an issue, but we are taking the T3 and the Pro Guide tip flex out tonight with one under and he or I can report later LOL
Old 04-03-2008, 07:33 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgd View Post
This is an extreme exageration. I dare you to take a TFO Axiom, or a Sage TCR and try to underline it.
Now who's talking extreme exaggeration. Those aren't beginners or intermediate rods. Let's talk normal fly fishers rods. They'll handle one up and one below. And I'll take you up and underline either one. Maybe you can't do it. Doesn't mean nobody else can.

And don't forget to check out this http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...6-wt-4084.html and go to #9 post.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The post started out with ORVIS tip flex rod, so I put a 5 wt. line on a T3 and a Pro Guide Tip Flex. Results....sure I will cast, BUT it required more power. So, it can be done agree, but by going with the line weight of the rod or even one over ON AN ORVIS TIP FLEX is much more comfortable.
The 5 wt. on the BIIx 6 wt was a little more forgiving, as on my mid flex Zero 6 wt.
I wanted to do the test with the ROD he is getting. No not a Clearwater, but an ORVIS TIP FLEX.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I, for one, think it is fair to say that most modern fly rods can indeed cast 3 different line weights.

Lets say we're talking about a Sage 890 Xi2. 80%+ of fishing situations will be best suited to that rod being fished with an 8wt line on it. However, if you're out on a bonefish flat and its super dead calm and the bones are super spooky and requiring 70-90' casts, a 7wt line could save the day. If the next day you're weaving through mangroves and casting 25' to 20-30 lb Tarpon, a 9wt might be just the ticket.

We could say the same about a ECHO classic 9' 5wt with the exceptional examples being use of a 4wt on a calm day and a 6wt to throw hoppers shorter distances on a windy day.

However, we'd be hard pressed to some up with a situation where you would actually BENEFIT from overlining a Winston WT, or underlining a Sage TCR.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

RobDutk,

As has been mentioned, the simple solution is to exchange the line. Barring being able to do that you shouldn't have any problems, but that largely depends on your casting skills.

If you are casting a long line, 60'+, the additional line out the tip of the rod will add weight and help to load the rod a little more. If you are using weighted leaders that sort of will do the same thing. If you are fishing in a "chuck & duck" fashion it won't matter.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:47 AM

RobDutk is on a distinguished road

So update,

I ended up keeping the 7wt line and ordering a Clearwater II 7wt rod that Orvis had in stock. . . I did not want to have to hassle with sending back the 7wt line. Although the more I think about it for the steelies that I will be going after an 8wt may have been better. (but really for my first season it probably does not matter I'm not counting on catching anything just looking forward to getting out.)

I will be heading out Sunday to give the new rig a whirl, so far from casting it in the yard I'm loving it.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and feedback! This forum is an invaluable resource for beginners like me.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:25 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgd View Post
I'll take that dare---granted the line i used was a 6wt Rio Grand and was told it was a half weight heavy but the loops were 10" out to 50ft ---im going to say that it pooped out at around 70 and just couldnt get anymore out of it unless a heavy fly was used (even then we couldnt get a full line)---Im sure that rod was great with a 7 and backing off a bit would toss an 8 nicely but we didnt try either
Old 04-05-2008, 12:57 PM

dgd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
I'll take that dare---granted the line i used was a 6wt Rio Grand and was told it was a half weight heavy but the loops were 10" out to 50ft ---im going to say that it pooped out at around 70 and just couldnt get anymore out of it unless a heavy fly was used (even then we couldnt get a full line)---Im sure that rod was great with a 7 and backing off a bit would toss an 8 nicely but we didnt try either

Sorry, I meant underline it by a full line, not half a line. I would be very surprised if you could get a 6 weight line (not 6.5) out 70 feet. Of course take it on a drift boat and you will be able to cast even a 5 weight 30 feet. But not 70 - 90