The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 08:12 AM

RobDutk is on a distinguished road
Default Does line wt and rod wt HAVE to match?

Hello everyone,

I'm just now at the age of 30 taking up fly fishing and putting together my outfit. I live in Northwest IN and will primarily be going after large salmon (steelhead, coho, rainbow) on the rivers around Lake Michigan and have a few questions.

I'm recently placed an order with Orvis for a new Steelhead fishing outfit and received the reel (Rocky MT Turbine Large Arbor) and line (Wonderline Gen3 7wt) but the Rod was out of stock (I ordered the Orvis Clearwater 107-4). and not shipping until May (I can't wait that long as the fish are running now) So digging around the web site Clearwater 108-4's are shipping now.

Question, can I use 7wt line with an 8wt rod? If so what would be the disadvantage of using this setup vs a matched 7wt set up?

Any other suggestions or thoughts for a beginner?

THANKS!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:21 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Does line wt and rod wt HAVE to match?

Typically you can over line a rod to help with performance of the rod, ie putting a 9 wt line on a 8 wt rod. Using a smaller line weight on a heavier rod will not flex the rod enough to make a good cast. You can probably get away with it for a trip or two but you will see a definte change in the rods performance once you match the correct line weight with the rod.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

Today's LW on rods and lines are a general rule....I've found some rods do best under or over weight by one. It's more specific to your casting style.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:11 AM

hsmith1313 is on a distinguished road

The whole line weight issue is pretty complex and during my years as a flyfisherman I have read numerous articles/post/papers on the issue. Basically, it depends on the rod and the caster. Some rods perform better with the specified weight line, while others work better with another weight line. Same with the caster. Some people prefer to move up one line weight because they think their rod loads better with a heavier line and they can cast better. For instance, I have an 8 wt. Sage and and 8 wt. G. Loomis. I think the Sage casts better with a 9 wt. line, but a 9 wt. feels too heavy with the G. Loomis.

As a beginner, I would suggest using the specified line weight. In your situation, either find another 7 wt. rod that you like or get the same rod in an 8 wt. and trade in the line. I'm sure Orvis will work to accommodate you. As you gain experience, you can experiment with different line weights to see which combination of rod and line works best for you.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:29 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Use the line that works best for you. I mostly stick to the specified weight, but have gone up and down one line weight on a couple of
rods. My 6wt rod was lost last summer, and I bought another 6wt a couple
of weeks ago. I returned it after discovering that one of my favorite 5wt
rods cast a 6wt line as well, or better than the new 6wt rod.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Advanced casters will sometimes "underline" a rod when they want it to flex less and cast long distances better. For a beginner, you'll likely have a hard time feeling the rod load sufficiently.

Solution: Add a sinking poly leader to it. This will turn that floating line into a sink tip (often quite helpful) and should make it cast basically like a 8wt line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:26 PM

RobDutk is on a distinguished road

Wow!!! thanks for the quick and informative replys and info. Fly fishing is such a neat sport but quite daunting for a beginner, looks like I have found a place with some very knowledgeable people to find some help!

you guys rock thanks again VERY MUCH appreciated!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I Looked at the catalog, and it appears that this rod is a tip flex in both weights. If it were a mid flex I would say go for it, but the fact this is a fast rod, I would think same weight or even one heavier.
I think you will have to muscle that 7 wt line on the 8 wt rod. Personally, I would ask Orvis to change the line to an 8 and order the rod.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

In reality, todays modern rods can throw 3 line weights with no problem. A 5w can use a 5 as suggested by the manufacturer, and 4 and 6w. Plus each rod has it's own love for a certain line- brand or taper. Once you find that it's all downhill from there. I have rods that throw like a mother with a Wulff TT, other rods hate it. My glass and cane like Rio STII. The BIIX loves Windcutter II. The glass throw 2 different weights very nicely and the graphites cast the 3 lines with ease. Plus it could be my casting style too. I just know if you try different line brands and tapers with the rod, starting at the recommended line weight, you'll find the perfect match soon enough.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I posted in this thread already, but just read the original post again. Why
not mail the 7wt line back,and buy an 8wt line ?