How much does Orvis spend on mailing catalogs?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Hope can I put this kindly ??

Apparently you're on the "susceptible'' list :eek:

I have the opposite problem
I've actually requested to be on catalogue mailing lists and .....nothing
Apparently they know me better than I know myself :eek:

caberguy

Reaction score
Hey, in my defense I've never paid full price for anything at Orvis (aside from the odd fly and spool of tippet).

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I get the Cabela's catalogs but have requested the Orvis several times and have never received one.I finally just gave up and quit asking for them.

yikes

Reaction score
Here's where the mail catalogs have paid off for them: my wife, who knows nothing about fly fishing, knows that every birthday and Christmas she can go to a place called "Orvis" and get me a gift card.

J

james w 3 3

The postage for a catalog the weight of an average Orvis catalog is pretty minimal as the printer/mailing house gets every possible discount. I'd be surprised if they pay more than around 35 cents per copy.

I'm not sure what they cost to print, but I did see an interview with an executive with Victoria's Secret :) where he talked about how much sales spiked with each new mailing, regardless of frequency, even when they changed almost nothing except the cover. I imagine the exact same thing happens with each Orvis mailing.

Good business practices then would call for lots of mailings. Minimal cost, substantial return.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
The postage for a catalog the weight of an average Orvis catalog is pretty minimal as the printer/mailing house gets every possible discount. I'd be surprised if they pay more than around 35 cents per copy.

I'm not sure what they cost to print, but I did see an interview with an executive with Victoria's Secret :) where he talked about how much sales spiked with each new mailing, regardless of frequency, even when they changed almost nothing except the cover. I imagine the exact same thing happens with each Orvis mailing.

Good business practices then would call for lots of mailings. Minimal cost, substantial return.
Right into the pump house! Now back to the commentary...I didn't know Orvis was still in business.:shades:

corn fed fins

Reaction score
You haven't been around here long enough to be causin trouble like that noob. :)

I've seen advertisements for 20 page color catalogs for about 25 cents. Less if you buy a bazillion.
:D That dry didn't float long before a take. So now I know "what" to present to the eager fish. ;)