The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 11:25 PM

big_windy is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing for Carp in muddy water

Hi guys, I'm up in Manitoba,Canada and am looking to target spring Carp on the fly.I have only ever targeted large freshwater pike.I was wondering what you guys might suggest for flies. I've been told Carp fishing has a lot more finesse to it then pike.

The Carp can be big up here and the water is pretty muddy (Lake Winnipeg,Manitoba).I was wondering what type of flies I should try and what type of leader set up would you suggest?

I use a 9wt or 10wt rod and reel with wf9 or wf10 float line. Would my pike leaders without the titanium bite guard be suitable? Most of the fishing would be done in 2-8ft of sheltered water.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2017, 03:18 AM

kevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fishing for Carp in muddy water

Though I've never specifically fished for carp I have cought a few by accident. I did particularly notice that every one was on an egg pattern. Specifically a yellow McFly Foam Egg with a dark red yolk. Caught 3 in a row on a recent trip and ended up taking the egg off my rig. They weren't giving the trout a chance to hit my line. They were hitting the eggs within the first 3 or 4 feet of the drift. I'm not a big fan of carp. They fight ok, just not much in the way of "eye candy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_windy View Post
Hi guys, I'm up in Manitoba,Canada and am looking to target spring Carp on the fly.I have only ever targeted large freshwater pike.I was wondering what you guys might suggest for flies. I've been told Carp fishing has a lot more finesse to it then pike.

The Carp can be big up here and the water is pretty muddy (Lake Winnipeg,Manitoba).I was wondering what type of flies I should try and what type of leader set up would you suggest?

I use a 9wt or 10wt rod and reel with wf9 or wf10 float line. Would my pike leaders without the titanium bite guard be suitable? Most of the fishing would be done in 2-8ft of sheltered water.

Thanks
dennyk likes this.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:07 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum big windy. I'm sure you'll get some response here. For further reading on carp flies do an "Advanced" search on this forum. The normal search function isn't very effective. Many of the typical smallie flies are effective on carp.
dennyk likes this.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:57 AM

clouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_windy View Post

Thanks
I target carp quite often, and I'd love to give my advice. I fish for carp mostly in streams for fish that are 5-20 pounds, so it's a little different because lake carping can take longer casts to bigger fish, but hopefully this will be helpful.

Carp fishing does take a lot more patience, presentation, and finesse than most species. When I'm carping, I use either a 6 or 7 weight rod, a floating line, and a long leader. These "lighter" rods (the trout guys will sneer at that) offer delicate presentation while maintaining some back bone for the big carp. Usually about 10 feet or so, ending in 10lb flouro for tippet. You could try your wire leaders for pike, but my guess is that they will spook or be cautious to take the fly. They aren't leader shy per se, but they would probably notice the wire guard, and just not eat.

Be sure you dress in subtle colors. I even wear camo to fish for carp sometimes when I'm stalking the banks of a stream or lake for them.

You could get started with your 9 weight rod, especially for big lake carp. You may end up wanting something lighter some time, but the 9 will get you started. The most important piece of gear for carp is a good reel with lots of backing. They run hard, the big ones run like a saltwater fish. Most of your casts will be short. Many of the carp I've caught were hooked with the butt of the leader still in my guides, and the others were less than thirty feet away usually.

Look for fish that are cruising alone along the shore and cast three or so feet in front of them. Otherwise, look for tailing fish or fish that are stirring up a lot of debris as they swim around rooting up nymphs and plants from the bottom. If you see an actively feeding fish, it's game time! Once they're hungry and looking down, they become much easier to catch. This is why it can be really hard to catch them in muddy water. You don't feel the take 99.9% of the time, you almost always have to see it.

Bring egg patterns, nymphs, soft hackles, and some scandalous flies like mop flies and squirmy wormys in lots of different weight combinations. Getting a carp to eat mid-water column is really hard, but is thrilling to watch them slurp up a fly. The biggest fly I've hooked a carp on was an articulated circus peanut that it took for a crawfish, but most of the time I use size 12-8 flies with a lot more luck. A size 6 bugger has provided lots of nice big carp for me too. If they're hungry and feeding, and you get something that will fit in their mouth in front of them, they'll probably at least come up and gum it a bit.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:17 AM

fr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to behold

A: Welcome.

B: Interested in this also. The only clear water in central OK comes in a bottle. Cutting across a shallow flat the other day and spooked a bunch of them with the TM. Only saw the puffs of mud as they scooted and it was 2' deep. No tails, no swirls, no feeding signs. Sighting them is really not an option.

Can you blind cast and what type of fly? I may try some bonefish stuff.
ia_trouter and dennyk like this.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:36 AM

big_windy is on a distinguished road

Thanks ClouserGuyKY

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
A: Welcome.

Can you blind cast and what type of fly? I may try some bonefish stuff.
I think blind casting would be nearly impossible for these guys unless you know exactly where they like to stack up in the spring or in the summer.

I'm going to be fishing some man made boat channels that are only about 2-3 car lengths in width but run from the big lake to some more swampy areas. I've been told by locals that they stack up in the spring in these specific areas.

Hopefully the channel size helps me get my fly in front of them.
dennyk likes this.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:09 PM

looper34 will become famous soon enoughlooper34 will become famous soon enough

I never went after carp but when I was a kid I used to see guys catching carp like crazy using Corn Flakes. There was a narrow channel between 2 lakes that the road went over and they fished from the bridge. They would soften them up just a little bit, carefully put a hook through a couple of them, weight the line about 18 inches above the hook and drop them to the bottom. Those guys ate what they caught and they caught some big ones.

So, i guess if you spin up a corn flake looking fly, you might have some luck.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:09 PM

ejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud of

Cheetos fly work well in areas where a lot of people hang out and feed them. I usually use something buggy looking. San Juan bounced off a downed tree in the river usually gets a lot of attention when it hits the water. I watched two carp race each other to my fly once. There was no mistaking when the first one grabbed it. He never stopped and popped my tippet before i had a chance to adjust.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2017, 09:12 AM

clouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really niceclouserguyky is just really nice

Blind casting for carp is pretty much always unproductive. I've caught one blind casting, but I was actually targeting smallmouth. Blind casting in the general area where you know they hold usually just ends up with snagging a fish in the fin or the tail if anything. It's a lot better to stalk them and make one cast that really counts. Carp fishing is more like hunting. Keep the gun loaded but wait for just the right time to fire one off.
dennyk likes this.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 PM

ghostrider408 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Carp fishing is a lot of fun for sure. Clouserguy has it right! Thanks for the tips. I was fishing for bass last summer using a black leech and a saw a big carp out of the corner of my eye cruising the shoreline. I stripped in and timed it just right to drop that leech right in his face and I watched him inhale it LOL. It was awesome! That fish really gave my 8 weight a work out. I have caught them also on small Clouser minnows blind casting, BUT it was a lot of work for a couple of fish. I'd post a picture of the carp on the leech, but I don't see a way to upload it.
clouserguyky likes this.