The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 12:31 PM

nralover is on a distinguished road
Default Fly casting lessons scheduled:)

Well, I have vacation starting the week of the 14th. I figured rather than go out and frustrate myself and the wife on the lake, we would take a few fly casting lessons. I have elected to not so much as assemble our fly outfits until we go to our class. How many lessons do you attend before you can make a halfway decent cast? I realize that everyone learns at a different rate, but we are chomping at the bit to take our new hobby to the water. I am a patient guy, but I admit to being overwhelmed with childish enthusiasm
Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly casting lessons scheduled:)

Do a little reading to understand the physics behind casting before your lessons. The basics are the basics for nearly everyone, so the info you
read in an Orvis book won't conflict with what your instructor shows you.
Look at the following topics:
*Loading the rod, and how the line and you acheive this
*Stopping the rod on the back and forward casts
*Allowing the line to unfurl on the forward and back casts
*Controlling the motion of your arm, and the movement of your wrist (or lack
of wrist movement)

Becoming familiar with this now will greatly reduce the amount of time your
instructor need to spend explaining this, and the faster you can move into
casting.

P.S. Watch this 3 part series: YouTube - Tight Lines-Learning to Fly Cast Part 1
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nralover View Post
Well, I have vacation starting the week of the 14th. I figured rather than go out and frustrate myself and the wife on the lake, we would take a few fly casting lessons. I have elected to not so much as assemble our fly outfits until we go to our class. How many lessons do you attend before you can make a halfway decent cast? I realize that everyone learns at a different rate, but we are chomping at the bit to take our new hobby to the water. I am a patient guy, but I admit to being overwhelmed with childish enthusiasm
I guide fly fishing trips on the Snake River in Jackson Hole WY. 75% of my clients each year have never fly fished. At the start of the float trip we pull off on a gravel bar and teach the basic casting. It only takes 15 to 30 minutes to teach the basic casting stroke needed to fish from a drift boat. Then we get after the fish. We are coaching all day but most people are catching fish almost from the start. By the end of a full day trip (8 hours) clients are casting well enough they can go out on their own.

Learning the basics is relatively easy. Improving on the basics is a life long pursuit. I've been fly fishing for 35 yrs and am still learning new things all the time. Get the basics at your casting lesson and have fun learning the rest as you go forward from there!!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 AM

nralover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
I guide fly fishing trips on the Snake River in Jackson Hole WY. 75% of my clients each year have never fly fished. At the start of the float trip we pull off on a gravel bar and teach the basic casting. It only takes 15 to 30 minutes to teach the basic casting stroke needed to fish from a drift boat. Then we get after the fish. We are coaching all day but most people are catching fish almost from the start. By the end of a full day trip (8 hours) clients are casting well enough they can go out on their own.

Learning the basics is relatively easy. Improving on the basics is a life long pursuit. I've been fly fishing for 35 yrs and am still learning new things all the time. Get the basics at your casting lesson and have fun learning the rest as you go forward from there!!!

Man- you are getting me really eager! I have been to Jackson Hole years back, and I have family in Thermopolis. What do you fish for up there?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:46 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Here in Jackson we fish for Snake River Cutthroat Trout. But there are a lot of rivers near by where you can fish for Brown and Rainbow trout as well as Cutties.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I'd pick up a good book on technique and learn it. The next thing is to take an actual casting lesson/clinic for beginners to put your book learning to muscle memory. Thereafter take 15" out of your day to unwind in your lawn or backyard and just cast 20' until you can somewhat mimic the motions. Move out to 40-50' but don't be disheartened by your mistakes. Just practice daily going back to your readings. When you get to your destination, you'll at least be able to cast 20-50ft and focus on refining those casts, presenting your fly to the fish, and playing one up to your net. It's a journey and not so much a destination so I hope you can enjoy the views and experiences along the way there. Many here will never forget that moment when it all gels together and you cast your first hand tied fly with all hope and successfully draw a nice fish-hopefully in the presence of good friends or family. I have that first moment on tape and view it fondly every so many years. Have a great trip!
Racine
Old 04-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi nralover,

Racine brings up a good point about recoding your casting. If you have a book or DVD that shows you how to cast and you go out to practice, take a video camera with you. Have someone video tape you casting and compare what you are doing with the book or DVD. You will see many things your are doing that you are not aware of. Try to practice where the background is contrasting with the color of your fly line. The video camera is a great training aid.

Frank
Old 04-03-2008, 02:33 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I would highly suggest a lesson first, then books and video's and more lessons.
The reason being a good instructor will have you looking critcally at your cast as you practice. They will also see poor technique and work with you on correcting it before it gets engrained.
I find greatest success in teaching people to cast who have no prior experience or preconceived notions.