The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prp guards?

Looking for a prop guard for my little 5 h.p. motor when running rivers, does anyone know a reasonably priced source for them?

I have an idea for making one from scratch, but then I have to find someone to fabricate & weld it up for me, just comparing price options before I get er goin.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:53 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Prp guards?

I usually just weld a piece of rebar on to the front so the blade kicks up if it runs too shallow or hits a rock. Push the motor back down and off we go again.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 04-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Dang Basser, I thought my idea was simple, but that one beats it all to heck.
A lot quicker to make also, thanks man.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:18 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Try ClackaCraft.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Joe,
That's one that I've looked at, but I wanted to try to come up with something else first, also they say it is for slightly larger lower units than the one that I have, I think they say a minimum of a 7-8 horse, and mine is a 5 h.p., really can't be that much difference though, I don't think?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:39 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Next stop:

New Mac's Prop Saver Web Page or Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices. or Home Depot to get parts to make your own.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:59 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

You can have all that fancy stuff....the rebar works everytime. Bigger prop.....faster boat....make it longer.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
I usually just weld a piece of rebar on to the front so the blade kicks up if it runs too shallow or hits a rock. Push the motor back down and off we go again.

Basser, how do you weld it to your motor? can you weld solid steel to cast?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Joe, now the decision is even more difficult....
Old 04-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Basser, how do you weld it to your motor? can you weld solid steel to cast?
Hi fyshstykr,

You can weld solid steel to cast steel but it becomes a different matter when you weld steel to aluminum. It can be done by braising but it won't be very strong and takes a special rod. There is an Explosive welding process that can do it but it takes experts and is very expensive. Another approach is to bolt an aluminum plate to a steel plate and then weld the aluminum to the motor and the steel to the guard. Again, it will be expensive to have a shop do it.

Frank