The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 12:34 PM

Gerrit Overeem is on a distinguished road
Need a 3 wt trout rod

Hi, Being new to this forum, I would like to say Hi. This is my first post. I am looking for a 3 wt rod to fish for stocked trout in small streams local to home. Presently I have been using a st croix 7'6" 4 wt pro model sc11 blank (soft action) paired with a teton 4 wt reel. I now have a new lamson velocity1 3 wt reel and want to pair it with a rod. The rods I researched so far are: TFO finesse 7'9" 3 wt 4 piece and a sage launch 7'6" model 376 3 wt rod. Both priced around $180. 2 or 4 piece not an issue. I have never used a fast action tip and perfer to feel the rod load on short cast. Would appriciate any comments or feelings on which rod is better.
PS: My other rod is a 5/6 wt 9' st croix imperial sc11 with a teton tioga 6 reel.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a 3 wt trout rod

Hi Gerrit !
My 4wt rods are both SCII St. Croix: Imperial and a Pro with the handle and
reel seat changed to something nicer. They load nicely for small streams, but
can reach out when needed. It sounds like you already have a nice small
stream outfit .

I know all about need another rod-itis...LOL! You might want to look in the other direction, and get a 7 or 8 wt rod for bass and other big fly fish.
If you really need a 3wt, both of the models you mentioned are nice. The
Sage is made in the USA, so that should be a tie-breaker.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Gerrit,

The TFO rods are a bit on the heavy side. I am not sure I would want a 3wt in a TFO. I have never seen a 3wt TFO Finesse so my concerns may not be valid. You should check out the weights of each rod and see if there is much difference. The Finesse rod is very popular and I have not heard anyone complain about it.

Frank
Old 04-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've got a 3wt TFO and while it may not be as light as a high end rod, I wouldn't call it heavy. The finesse series are much lighter than TFO's avg rods, and a bit slower action than the Sage Launch.

The TFO is the one I'd recommend for you out of those two.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

I have the TFO Pro 2 wt, 8 ft. Works great for smaller trout, bass and really fun with sun fish. It's very lightweight, 3 oz. For such a light rod it does a good job handling semi-seals, small wooly buggers and dual nymph rigs.

The Finesse you are looking at is listed at 2.8 oz. I have a Scott 4 wt, 9 ft. It's listed at 3 oz. I can cast it all day long and not get tired. A lighter rod is a definite bonus if you are on an all day fishing trip.

If you check their web site it lists all their rods weights.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:55 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My St. Croix Pro 7'6" with upgraded cork and reel seat weighs.....2.8 oz
(I had to double check on my digital scale). I probably picked up some weight
when changing out the hardware, but that's still respectable. The Imperial is around 2.6 ounces, but I can only weigh one rod per hour .

I still don't see the benefit of having a nice 4wt, and getting a 3wt of
similar length. Granted, the Pro's handle and reel seat aren't the prettiest,
but it casts well, and build quality is every bit as nice as the TFO and Sage
(I've seen both).
Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 AM

Thanks guys for all the input. For each reply I started to lean towards one rod then read another reply and lean towards the other. If I'm correct I have to consider the following
1) Action of rod (slow, medium, fast) 2) Length of rod (long or short) 3) weight of rod 4) Fit and finish 5)Warranty 6) Made in USA or Off shore 6) How each rods casts in our hands (very important).
All good reasons to consider before buying. Both TFO and Sage are about the same length (7 to 8 ft.) action and weight (2.68 to 2.8 oz.). Not sure of fit and finish, no access to TFO, but will be looking and trying the sage this weekend. Both have unconditional warrantees. Note: St Croix only has limited warranty now. If the Sage cast well and balances well with the Lamson v1 I would probably lean towards it because it's made in the USA. And all reasoning aside, it's a SAGE!. The quest continues, I'll post my decision soon.
PS: I did try a GLoomis 3 wt 8' at the SHU FLy shop in Nanuet NY, great rod, but price required a second job.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:52 AM

St. Croix not only offers an unconditional warranty on the Avid series and
up, they offer the same warranty for used Avids and up: Service & Warranty Policy
Old 04-10-2008, 09:34 AM

Hi FrankB2
Thanks for the info. I believe the avid warranty reads Limited life time for defects in workman ship, not unconditional. Most of my rod damage is caused by me, you know car doors, windows, tree branches. Usually if I buy by mail I fix minor defects in workman ship, (windings, cork, touch up finish). If local bought I take it back. If I read the warranty wrong please excuse my error, I value everyone's input. I'll take another look at the avid, you never know what can happen when you put a rod in your hand, it's magic!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 AM

Hi Gerrit,
The Lifetime Warranty (details here: Lifetime Warranty) include Avid fly rods. Avid
spinning, casting, and surf rods are not covered by the lifetime warranty.
I just looked at the Lifetime list, and the Reign series is included. The weight
of the Reign series is higher than the older Pro and Imperial models, and the
price is near enough to the Launch, that I'd buy the USA made rod.

I would say that the Avid series is much closer to a moderate action than
"Mod-Fast". My Avid (IPC) 5wt required a slower casting stroke than what I
had been accustomed to with my "fast" 5 wts. The Avid rods have single foot
guides, if that makes any difference to you.