flyfishing with bats

flymoron

Reaction score
I live in central arkansas, and we don't have very many bats in this area, but last night right at dusk there were a few flying around the pond that I was fishing at. I have never had this happen before, I assumed they were attracted to my nymph flying through the air. Is this a common occurence for any of you?

flymoron

raindogt

Reaction score
'Co-habitating' with bats is a common occurrence around here while fishing. The bats will hang out near a water source to feed on the buffet of critters around the habitat. (I'm no bat expert, but I believe the insect life is probably one of the biggest draws for them.) We even have a few that fly around the neighborhood because of back yard pools....

Generally speaking, they will be harmless-- I, as well as others on the board have actually caught a bat while fishing. -- (mine was more of a 'snag' the bat-- as my fly tying isn't that convincing.... LOL)

Anyhow, one word of caution-- They are not the cleanest animals-- if you do have an encounter, even if not bit by the bat-- (just contact with the bat is enough...), Get yourself to the doc and take all of the precautionary steps. I hear rabies is a terrible affliction... Take this last part very seriously: ANY contact with a bat needs to be addressed.

wjc

Reaction score
Yes, but only to where I could step on my leader and pop it off. I'd have snapped it off in the air, but I was using my Leonard Bamboo and didn't want to risk the tip.

At that time, the rabies series after being bitten, was at least a dozen sub cutaneous injections in the stomach - I forget the exact number . I had previously administered them several times in SE Asia while an SF Medic there and knew firsthand how excruciatingly painful they were.

I take no chances with animals possibly carrying it. It is 100% fatal if shots are not administered in time.

Cheers,
Jim

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
In North Central Pennsylvania where I grew up bats are part of the late evening landscape. After having them snatch the fly both in the air and often plucking it from the surface of the water I learned that once they took over the creek it was time for me to quit.

FISHN50

Reaction score
Here's a reply I made to a recent post about fishing after dark...

I was up in Maine last week at GLS & there was a pretty good Caddis hatch & a lot of brookies that were on on them. I fished until after it got dark & was catching fish, ( maybe 1 of 3 takes). Then the bats came out in droves. I was the only one in the pool & they were all around me. They would fly into my line & buzz me. After the second one picked up my fly I called it quits & trudged back to the car. A year or so ago a acquaintance caught a bat & he didn't realize it. He thought he had just picked up some debris & reached down to grab it & he got bit on the thumb. He had to go thru the series of Rabies shots & I understand it was quite painful. I can fish after dark but not with the bats around.......

Neil

racine

Reaction score
When this happens to me, it's usually time to consider heading back in. I do notice that the bats seem to get closer when I'm casting but I have been fortunate enough not to hook one. It's usually dark when they come out and I don't mind as they clean the area of bugs so I wish there were more of them-thus I placed a bat house by a tree by my pond.

boreal

Reaction score
I've started targeting them specifically.
I catch far more and bigger bats than tout.
I even created a bug just for them. The Griffith's Bat Gnat.

Trying to find a guide in Australia where the fruit bats live for the trip of a lifetime:D

flymoron

Reaction score
It has been happening every night since I first posted this, they sure are purdy.

flymoron

Bigfly

Reaction score
When you hook up on the back cast, they get launched into the water.
Man they look out of place there, not good swimmers.
Gloves and hemostats are a good call. Takes me longer to release an 8" bat, than an 18" brown.
Racine, did you include a thermal rock/mass in the B house?

A Bat Gnat????? Umpqua may be calling!!!

Jim

ianhughscott

Reaction score
Here in Ontario, Canada, bats are quite common. I regularly see them flying about after dusk hits but never been unfortunate enough to hook one.

They amaze me at how close they can get at times, without actually hitting me when they are flying around!

According to the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources website, rabies in bats here is rare - and rabid bats have a hard time flying. Apparently in Canada, there have been 26 cases of human rabies since 1925. Five of those cases were due to contact with bats.

Ian

hangin chad

Reaction score
You know that thing they teach in the eastern United States about watching for the "first robin of Spring"? Doesn't apply to northern Nevada, as we have some robins year-round. I have noticed, though, that the "first bat of Spring" is a good indication the season has turned.

Kinda makes sense, since they mostly depend on airborne insects for food. When I first took note of this phenomenon I lived few short blocks from a shallow urban lake/pond. Most likely the bats I saw there were feeding on recently hatched adult midges, as I used to regularly find size 14 midges on my patio during the summer evenings.

Never hooked one, though, or even had one buzz me. My casts aren't good enough to imitate a flying insect yet:eek:;)