The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 10:19 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default flyfishing with bats

I live in central arkansas, and we don't have very many bats in this area, but last night right at dusk there were a few flying around the pond that I was fishing at. I have never had this happen before, I assumed they were attracted to my nymph flying through the air. Is this a common occurence for any of you?

flymoron
Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: flyfishing with bats

I caught one on a small fly at dusk once.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:33 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

'Co-habitating' with bats is a common occurrence around here while fishing. The bats will hang out near a water source to feed on the buffet of critters around the habitat. (I'm no bat expert, but I believe the insect life is probably one of the biggest draws for them.) We even have a few that fly around the neighborhood because of back yard pools....

Generally speaking, they will be harmless-- I, as well as others on the board have actually caught a bat while fishing. -- (mine was more of a 'snag' the bat-- as my fly tying isn't that convincing.... LOL)

Anyhow, one word of caution-- They are not the cleanest animals-- if you do have an encounter, even if not bit by the bat-- (just contact with the bat is enough...), Get yourself to the doc and take all of the precautionary steps. I hear rabies is a terrible affliction... Take this last part very seriously: ANY contact with a bat needs to be addressed.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:34 AM

WJC,
did you reel him in?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:50 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Yes, but only to where I could step on my leader and pop it off. I'd have snapped it off in the air, but I was using my Leonard Bamboo and didn't want to risk the tip.

At that time, the rabies series after being bitten, was at least a dozen sub cutaneous injections in the stomach - I forget the exact number . I had previously administered them several times in SE Asia while an SF Medic there and knew firsthand how excruciatingly painful they were.

I take no chances with animals possibly carrying it. It is 100% fatal if shots are not administered in time.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

In North Central Pennsylvania where I grew up bats are part of the late evening landscape. After having them snatch the fly both in the air and often plucking it from the surface of the water I learned that once they took over the creek it was time for me to quit.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Here's a reply I made to a recent post about fishing after dark...

I was up in Maine last week at GLS & there was a pretty good Caddis hatch & a lot of brookies that were on on them. I fished until after it got dark & was catching fish, ( maybe 1 of 3 takes). Then the bats came out in droves. I was the only one in the pool & they were all around me. They would fly into my line & buzz me. After the second one picked up my fly I called it quits & trudged back to the car. A year or so ago a acquaintance caught a bat & he didn't realize it. He thought he had just picked up some debris & reached down to grab it & he got bit on the thumb. He had to go thru the series of Rabies shots & I understand it was quite painful. I can fish after dark but not with the bats around.......

Neil
Old 08-19-2010, 07:46 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

When this happens to me, it's usually time to consider heading back in. I do notice that the bats seem to get closer when I'm casting but I have been fortunate enough not to hook one. It's usually dark when they come out and I don't mind as they clean the area of bugs so I wish there were more of them-thus I placed a bat house by a tree by my pond.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

I've started targeting them specifically.
I catch far more and bigger bats than tout.
I even created a bug just for them. The Griffith's Bat Gnat.

Trying to find a guide in Australia where the fruit bats live for the trip of a lifetime
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 08-22-2010, 06:09 PM

It has been happening every night since I first posted this, they sure are purdy.

flymoron