The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 01:28 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Let's see your hat

I am in the market to get a new fishing hat. right now I just wear an old baseball cap, but would like to get a more western or cowboy looking hat. give me some ideas by showing me what you wear out on the water.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:47 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Let's see your hat

Here are a couple of my favorite hat in action.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a good discussion on what hats are worn fly fishing you might be interested in: What kind of hat do you wear?
Here is what I normally wear while fishing:
Rain Hats For Men / Jefferson River Hat -- Orvis

Larry
Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 AM

sevenmxf is on a distinguished road

I like fly fishing. I like cycling. As a result, I wear a cycling cap with a tartan pattern that kinda sorta looks like it could be used for fishing. Here's a gander:

Cheers!
Michael

Old 08-16-2010, 11:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I wear an "Up-Downer"

...like Lefty's

Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

For most of my years I've been of a ballcap persuasion. I have a local fly shop that I support and they support me. I've been invited by them for the past several years to spend a few hours during the winter in a tying demo, so I appreciate their support and to show it I usually wear their hats for photos and such, so I've become used to wearing a ballcap with their logo.

When there's weather I make sure to wear my Gore-Tex PacLite jacket which has a hood that accomodates ballcaps, but not other types of hats, so I stick with the ballcap.

I do have a fedora style that I like to wear from time-to-time, yet I still prefer the ballcaps.

Here are a few examples:

A couple of years ago in Alaska - my Jimmy's All Season Angler cap:

On the Henry's Fork, again Jimmy's hat:

Trip to the Big Horn this past spring with LaMoyne Hyde of Hyde driftboats, again my Jimmy's hat:

Immediately upon our return from the Big Horn LaMoyne gave me a new hat!:

Just 30-seconds after this picture was taken, my friend, Bob Jacklin drove up to check out the water. I was glad to be wearing his logo hat at the time!

Every now and again I'll fall back to my old fedora for a good day's fishing:

There has been a lot of discussion over the years as to what hats are best or better and why. I go with what's most comfortable. Since losing most of my hair over the years there is one thing that I'm never without when outdoors, and that's a hat. Not because I don't have any hair up there, but because I don't like getting blistering sunburns on my noggin!

Kelly.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:16 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

You mentioned western style. The one that I think is a great cross-over between a fedora and cowboy style is the Gun Club collection (need to google it). I've seen that style from 47-165.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:22 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Once you've had skin cancer removed from your ears &/or back of your neck, you'll shy away from the baseball caps and go with a brimmed hat. Another advantage of the brimmed hat is that it helps protect your ears, etc. from an errant fly. My favorite is a Cabela's River Guide Canvas Breezer Hat. It has a mesh crown for breathability in the hot climates I normally fly-fish in, and it has both a chin strap and back-of-the-head strap for windy conditions (although you can't see both in the image below). I've never lost it in the wind, and it stays comfortable on even a hot day. While they claim it's foldable and packable, I've never tried to do either.

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 08-19-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:48 AM

flores81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Once you've had skin cancer removed from your ears &/or back of your neck, you'll shy away from the baseball caps and go with a brimmed hat. Another advantage of the brimmed hat is that it helps protect your ears, etc. from an errant fly. My favorite is a Cabela's River Guide Canvas Breezer Hat. It has a mesh crown for breathability in the hot climates I normally fly-fish in, and it has both a chin strap and back-of-the-head strap for windy conditions (although you can't see both in the image below). I've never lost it in the wind, and it stays comfortable on even a hot day. While they claim its foldable and packable, I've never tried to do either.
nice cap, i like it
Old 08-17-2010, 09:13 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Just like in the Face to the name post. BB cap and/or a Buffs.