The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 05:33 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Check your rod

While fishing yesterday one of my rod sections had seperated and was barely attached, maybe on by about 1/2 inch. It was starting to get dark and I was getting bites and went to sets the hook and snap. Broke that 1/2 inch off and lost the fish. Never even notice it was seperated. Check your rod so it doesn't happen to you. I can probably cut that broken end and smooth it up but am thinking about just replacing that section. Losing that little bit might make that section weaker and it might snap the out part of the upper section. I did get it back on and caught another fish just before it was too dark.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Check your rod

I've heard you can get a 'sleeve' of some sort to mend the bits together (done in the UK anyway), but not really a recommended fix. Send it in and bite the bullet.

As for checking your connections, this is something that should be done on a regular basis. With 2-handers this is an ongoing debate about just waxing the connections or taping same together, both, or nothing.

That subject has generated hundreds of posts on the SpeyPages web site.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice to check the ferrules. Too many people take it for granted that their ferrules stay in place. One can have a rod that costs $69.95 or one that costs $695. Ferrules find a way to slip.

MP
Old 08-16-2010, 11:47 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

It is also more common with 4 piece rods than 2 piece.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Check your rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
It is also more common with 4 piece rods than 2 piece.

Dead on Bro., dead on.
fae
Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Both of mine are 4 piece.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:17 AM

fishermancan is on a distinguished road

I do a lot of fishing for Pink and Coho on the Eve and Campbell River on Vancouver Island and the last thing I do before hitting the water is to use a bit of electrical black tape on my rod joints. It is a precautionary thing, and I have never lost or broke a section by having it come loose during fishing. A friend taught me that - especially so for rods with more than 2 sections, but I tape them too. Better safe than sorry.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermancan View Post
I do a lot of fishing for Pink and Coho on the Eve and Campbell River on Vancouver Island and the last thing I do before hitting the water is to use a bit of electrical black tape on my rod joints. It is a precautionary thing, and I have never lost or broke a section by having it come loose during fishing. A friend taught me that - especially so for rods with more than 2 sections, but I tape them too. Better safe than sorry.
Good idea there. Mine always comes apart at the middle section. My rod can still be used. A person gets so occupied at times you forget to check.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

the last time i ordered i rod from St.Croix they sent a small disc of wax in a plastic container. applying a thin coat to the male ends of each section helps keep them in place and supposedly helps in removal as well.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 PM

hangin chad has a spectacular aura abouthangin chad has a spectacular aura about

Has anyone ever tried Teflon tape on the male ends to address ferrule separation? I haven't yet, because I just had the idea

Even though it will wear off after a few times putting the rod together and taking it apart it should work. It also won't lose its cling when exposed to water like the electrical tape mentioned above.

I use the stuff on my guitar's tremolo bar to make it stay where I put it. Should do the same for a fly rod, right?