The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Little brother got a fly rod...

little brother got a fly rod from my greatgrandma somehow... i havent seen it yet to really know if its usable for him or even what weight it is but what are some good flys for him to start on?

since hes going to be fishing lakes, ponds, and slow big rivers and all i was thinking flys like wooley buggers and other big streamers.

i know he isnt going to have the patience for nymphing and i dont think he will under stand dry fly fishing yet.

what do you recomend
Old 08-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Little brother got a fly rod...

I tend toward thinking that for a starter rod just about anything will work. If you take it and cast with it and find that it will execute a cast then it should at least get him started. Some people take to fly casting like a duck to water and with others it makes no difference if they have a Winston or an old South Bend in their hand they still struggle.

I would take him out with his rig and if I found that he was having problems I would hand him mine. If the troubles persist you can deduce that it is not the rod. If he begins casting 100% better with your rod then you have found a starting point.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-16-2010, 02:03 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

If he does take to the casting like Ard recommends, I would hand him a few black fur ants to get him started. These are really productive for trout right now and panfish will hit em up too.

I always thought that nymphing was tricky to start out with and that top water action is best to start, as you can see the fly an a take(hopefully )
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 08-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
If he does take to the casting like Ard recommends, I would hand him a few black fur ants to get him started. These are really productive for trout right now and panfish will hit em up too.

I always thought that nymphing was tricky to start out with and that top water action is best to start, as you can see the fly an a take(hopefully )
Ant: Well said, a few ants, beetles and some hoppers should see plenty of action with that.

Larry
Old 08-17-2010, 03:05 AM

fseoer2010 is on a distinguished road

In some ways .If he does take to the casting like Ard recommends, I would hand him a few black fur ants to get him started.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:47 AM

flores81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fseoer2010 View Post
In some ways .If he does take to the casting like Ard recommends, I would hand him a few black fur ants to get him started.
you are so great, i have to say
Old 08-17-2010, 11:16 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

ok i saw the rod today and it is a Daiwa Graphite Eliminator. its model number is EL45 it is an 8' and then i cant tell what this means but it says "Line: AFTMA #6/7 A15830A" so im guessing its a 6 or 7 wt rod? but is it a fast or mod fast or slow action?? it feels like a fast action just what bit i held it it didnt feel as noodley as my mod fast action but that may just be its age? it just seems its more bendy on the tip and the fast actions are bendier on the tips right? and dont bend so much in the bellys?